So what have we learned after week 6?

IC Khari

I remember last year when we vaulted out to a 1-5 record at the beginning of the year.

There was a point where we 'could' have been 3-3 as well.

We weren't.

We didn't play well enough to win those games.

This year, you say we could be 3-3.

We aren't.

We played well enough to win those games.

I said we were a well-coached 3-3 team... and that our QB has the 'it' factor. There's your two main differences.

This is all true and not nearly as 'negative' as some posters want to make it out to be.

Look at the roster - our talent level is very similar to last year... exception being the DBs and our kicker.

and our receivers. and our offensive line.

They're both making a world of difference. I always welcome the discussion but your opinion this time around ... Seems like you're outsmarting yourself a little.

If in the off-season, if someone predicted that Steve Morely would be one of the better centres in the league?  What would your reaction have been... 

Or that our starting receivers would be Kelly-Moore-JFG-Denmark-Kohlert...  this lineup strikes fear into exactly no defence in the league. (And we didn't last year either...)

Would you have agreed that we wouldn't miss a beat replacing Alex Hall with Greg Peach...?  That Ejiro Kuale could step in for Muamba?

Coaching and having a real QB...  that's the difference right now.

We will find out in our last four games of the season either way.

Regarding the receivers - No one was able to get them the ball. Not a reflection on them, and the new additions (Kelly, Moore) had previously been shown to be quite valuable when used properly. As for Denmark, when given a chance in past years he has been productive.

As for Peach and Kuale - Peach has been good, yes. In fact I was one of the people advocating for him in the offseason. That being said he is nowhere close to Alex Hall. Kuale is nowhere close to Muamba either.

If the team keeps doing what they should be doing, as they've been doing so far, the last four games of the year won't be a make or break like you suggest. There will be bumps in the road here and there. There is for any team. That being said this team is being run like a professional organization for the first time in who knows how long. That's the real difference both on and off the field.

I remember last year when we vaulted out to a 1-5 record at the beginning of the year.

We weren't.

We aren't.

I said we were a well-coached 3-3 team... and that our QB has the 'it' factor. There's your two main differences.

This is all true and not nearly as 'negative' as some posters want to make it out to be.

Look at the roster - our talent level is very similar to last year... exception being the DBs and our kicker.

and our receivers. and our offensive line.

They're both making a world of difference. I always welcome the discussion but your opinion this time around ... Seems like you're outsmarting yourself a little.

If in the off-season, if someone predicted that Steve Morely would be one of the better centres in the league?  What would your reaction have been... 

Or that our starting receivers would be Kelly-Moore-JFG-Denmark-Kohlert...  this lineup strikes fear into exactly no defence in the league. (And we didn't last year either...)

Would you have agreed that we wouldn't miss a beat replacing Alex Hall with Greg Peach...?  That Ejiro Kuale could step in for Muamba?

We will find out in our last four games of the season either way.

Floyd, enjoy the 5-1 record & quit throwing water on the fire. My Gawd, some Bomber fans just can't enjoy the fact that WE ARE IN SOLE POSSESSION OF FIRST PLACE IN THE WEST. Always have to be "Yeah... but..."

We weren't.

We aren't.

I said we were a well-coached 3-3 team... and that our QB has the 'it' factor.  There's your two main differences.

And don't forget about the most important change we've had (apart from the coaching): the starting quarterback. Not only has he been very good, the team has responded to him,

How lucky we are Hamilton and Ottawa stole our first and second choice at QB.

Teams who are in the position we have been for the last years are doing no better than we were.

Our HC has been able to turn the "keep on going" switch on the whole team.

While discouraging individual plays at the expense of team work we are leading the sack attack.(I think)

That Regina fans like us even less.

Life is good in the Peg.

Regarding the receivers - No one was able to get them the ball. Not a reflection on them, and the new additions (Kelly, Moore) had previously been shown to be quite valuable when used properly. As for Denmark, when given a chance in past years he has been productive.

As for Peach and Kuale - Peach has been good, yes. In fact I was one of the people advocating for him in the offseason. That being said he is nowhere close to Alex Hall. Kuale is nowhere close to Muamba either.

If the team keeps doing what they should be doing, as they've been doing so far, the last four games of the year won't be a make or break like you suggest. There will be bumps in the road here and there. There is for any team. That being said this team is being run like a professional organization for the first time in who knows how long. That's the real difference both on and off the field.

So, you're agreeing with me?  Its hard to tell...

Last four games are huge... Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Calgary... probably with Cornish and Lulay back.  

But they are huge for all western teams... either head into the playoffs with huge momentum or a losing streak.  Glad we have a bye on that final week.

and it just so happens that those are really the only two areas of a CFL team that really matter.

Completely agree... with kicking being a not-so-distant close third.

Don't know why everyone went nuts...  We don't go in and destroy teams but we find a way to win - that is coaching.

This feels different from 2011 where our 7-1 record felt like it was built on a house of cards.  Even if we lost to Montreal and Hammie, I would still feel better about 2014 than 2011...

We all know the season starts on Labour Day anyway.

but if coaching and qbing is good then why get that nonsense about 3-3? That's a stupid comment to make because they got big improvements in the two key areas. Look at BC, they took a hit in qb play and dropped in the standings, same in Hamilton. Edmonton got a boost in the coaching ranks and jumped up the standings too. 

The whole "are the Bombers for real" question reminds me of the of the debate about the Riders last year heading into the Banjo Bowl. The answer to the question depends largely n how you define "for real".

The Riders were 8-1 at the time and their fans and media were insisting it was a legit 8-1. But if so, that would have projected them to be 16-2. In other words the best CFL team in a generation. They lost to the Bombers and kept losing for a while. But then they overcame the adversity and won the Grey Cup.

As for the 2014 Bombers we are on pace for a 15-3 season. No doubt some people here think that will happen but others might be willing to bet their homes and first born against it. Impersonally suspect some adversity is ahead. The sked is pretty tough and the Bombers haven't exactly dominated some of these games.

But the key is not to roll to a 15-3 season. The key is to overcome when there are set backs. What happens then will answer the truly relevant "for real" or not questions. For now, enjoy the ride.

How did Mike Reilly get POTM for July over Willy? Over 1,600 yards passing  for Willy compared to 1150 for Reilly. Both teams just one loss. Bombers in first place. 

Wondered that myself, Edmonton has a very good D too so it's not like Reilly has been winning games on his own, Willy has driven the field twice now on the last drive of the game to win, 

Maybe it's the 9 touchdown passes thrown (which leads the league) or maybe it's just that Reilly has been getting all the hype the last 2 years now.. I dunno but that one was a little mind boggling. 

Reilly is a good QB but so is Willy, Reilly is a better runner than Willy but Willy is a better passer, I think if you can contain  Reilly's ability to run, he doesn't look as good. Was reilly even named played of the week once in July? If not, I'm not sure how he could have been named POTM. 

Maybe i'm a bit bias but... if the game is on the line and i can pick between either Reilly or Willy, I take Willy 9 times out of 10. 

I'm guessing though it has a lot to do with Hype though, Every week, Willy seems to get the "is he for real" question, Reilly doesn't.. I'm sure Drew doesn't care about POTM awards but... all in all i think he deserved it more than Reilly and I'm not taking anything away from what Reilly has done. 

and it just so happens that those are really the only two areas of a CFL team that really matter.

Don't know why everyone went nuts...  We don't go in and destroy teams but we find a way to win - that is coaching.

This feels different from 2011 where our 7-1 record felt like it was built on a house of cards.  Even if we lost to Montreal and Hammie, I would still feel better about 2014 than 2011...

A

Are you saying the first half of the season means nothing? A win in July & August is worth the same as it is in October. A loss is just as big anytime. 

With how we know our roster to be built and how etch, O'Shea and Walters value Canadians... And you told me we would lose our best canadian receiver, dt, lb, olineman and punter (this now up for debate clearly) AND we would not only be leading the division but have a 5-1 record after week six, I would have called you an absoute nutcase... But here we sit.

Unreal how a change of coaching and GM philosophies and a legit QB can benefit a team that was so poor so quickly..

With how we know our roster to be built and how etch, O'Shea and Walters value Canadians... And you told me we would lose our best canadian receiver, dt, lb, olineman and punter (this now up for debate clearly) AND we would not only be leading the division but have a 5-1 record after week six, I would have called you an absoute nutcase... But here we sit.

Unreal how a change of coaching and GM philosophies and a legit QB can benefit a team that was so poor so quickly..

Yep, it is a whole new environment. 

Well, everyone seems to have nothing to say other than to pile on my statement that I think we are a 500 team that is over-achieving because of coaching and a QB with the 'it' factor.  So, whatever... enjoy.

A win in July and August is not the same as October... in Sept/October, you take momentum into the playoffs, other teams have lots of film on you, lots of prep.

Wins and losses are important but winning late in the year is more important.  Ask the 2011, 2003 and 2001 bombers...

I'd rather be a 10-8 team with wins and losses spread over the season heading into the playoffs.  But hey its a free country...

The Bombers have demonstrated that they are better than the bottom half of the league. Those are primarily the opponents they've faced so far. No one expects them to go 15-3 on the year, but they've quite clearly been good enough to win 5 of the 6 games they've played. People like to talk about the Bombers having everything bounce right for them to be 5-1 but that is pretty bullshit to me. They should have won the Als game handily but those turnovers kept it closer than it needed to be, they were controlling the Hamilton game quite well but one big kick return TD and it's closer than it should have been. Against Ottawa they got caught on the first couple series but then absolutely locked it down once they realized what was going on.... There's been a lot of bad luck for the Bombers this year as well, they are just proving to be resilient enough to overcome it.

That is actually why I like this team so much, it's not 5-1 that tells me they're legit, it's how they're over coming adversity in all forms. The ability to over come adversity is what sets good teams apart from bad teams. 

Well, everyone seems to have nothing to say other than to pile on my statement that I think we are a 500 team that is over-achieving because of coaching and a QB with the 'it' factor.  So, whatever... enjoy.

A win in July and August is not the same as October... in Sept/October, you take momentum into the playoffs, other teams have lots of film on you, lots of prep.

Wins and losses are important but winning late in the year is more important.  Ask the 2011, 2003 and 2001 bombers...

I'd rather be a 10-8 team with wins and losses spread over the season heading into the playoffs.  But hey its a free country...

You're assuming we won't be... I think a lot of us would have been happy with a 7 or an 8 win season in the West. It meant we are improving. We still may finish 8-10. Still better than the last 2 years. 

Here is why your statement is bullshit: 

The Bombers have demonstrated that they are better than the bottom half of the league. Those are primarily the opponents they've faced so far. No one expects them to go 15-3 on the year, but they've quite clearly been good enough to win 5 of the 6 games they've played. People like to talk about the Bombers having everything bounce right for them to be 5-1 but that is pretty bullshit to me. They should have won the Als game handily but those turnovers kept it closer than it needed to be, they were controlling the Hamilton game quite well but one big kick return TD and it's closer than it should have been. Against Ottawa they got caught on the first couple series but then absolutely locked it down once they realized what was going on.... There's been a lot of bad luck for the Bombers this year as well, they are just proving to be resilient enough to overcome it.

That is actually why I like this team so much, it's not 5-1 that tells me they're legit, it's how they're over coming adversity in all forms. The ability to over come adversity is what sets good teams apart from bad teams. 

A. I never said they were not legit.  What are you arguing against?

B. I never said everything 'bounced' right for the bombers... Willy has forced the win when we needed it

C. 3-3 is still a good team.  5-1 is a great team... the 2001 blue bombers were a great team with the capacity to literally destroy oppositions - I think our record will settle into something like 10-8 or 11-7

D.  Getting caught against Ottawa and then locking it down is coaching, we've only had one real dominant win against Toronto - we are a well-coached team with decent but overachieving talent.

Poor Bo Levi... no one even cares that I said he didn't have the 'it' factor, ha

You're assuming we won't be... I think a lot of us would have been happy with a 7 or an 8 win season in the West. It meant we are improving. We still may finish 8-10. Still better than the last 2 years. 

Now I'm really lost... you take offence at my comments and then suggest that we may finish 8-10...

If we only win three games for the rest of the year, then something will really have gone wrong.

And before you start typing... I said we are a well-coached 3-3 team.  I did not say we would finish the season 9-9... well-coached teams only get better.

Later.

As for the 2014 Bombers we are on pace for a 15-3 season. No doubt some people here think that will happen but others might be willing to bet their homes and first born against it.

I doubt even the most positive of fans believe the Bombers will reach a 15-3 mark. 

The Bombers have flaws (like any team) and will face times of adversity throughout the season.  Most fans realise this.  How could they not?  After last year's debacle, any delusions when it comes to the Bombers have been replaced with sobering reality. This is not addressed at you, saskbluefan, but the constant need of some on this board to remind us of said flaws, however, strikes me as counter-productive and condescending.  But, to each their own.

I think, for the most part, fans on this board realise that this year could have been fraught with peril, and instead, are pleasantly surprised by the Bombers's quick turnaround and are simply enjoying the ride, wherever it may take them.  It's all gravy.

Next year, there will be higher expectations, and rightfully so . . . because we finally have the makings of a football team that can handle them.

A legitimate QB, improved coaching, and improved Canadian depth.  None of us were expecting all of that to improve as quickly as it did, but it certainly has.    

The great thing about 5-1 is we don't really have to be killer the rest of the way to still have a huge season.

Win only 2 out of 5 against Sask and Cal, 1 out of 3 against BC and Edm, and 3 out of 4 against the East and you have an 11 win season. Maybe a home playoff game. Way beyond the most optimistic of expectations. If we win 3 against Sask/Cal or 2 against BC/Edm and now you have 12 wins and you are amongst the best Bomber seasons ever.

Let's repeat that to put it in perspective. This years Bombers team, following a 3 and 15 season, has a fairly reasonable chance of having one of the best regular seasons in team history.