Bombers interested in Romby Bryant?

And that's just it. People crapped all over Mack for not bringing in experienced players. Now we are (and lets not forget, it's a work out, he hasn't even signed a deal) and people are still crying. You can't have it both ways. Is Romby the player he was in 2008 for us? Obviously not, but for those whining and complaining about our scouts, these are the same guys who had Drew Willy evaluated higher over Burris and Collaros (regardless of what anyone thinks about how it all played out) found Paris Cotton, and have brought in guys like Maurice Leggett and Bruce Johnson, so forgive me if I take their evaluations over the geniuses implying the entire scouting class this year was a failure.

We aren't lacking veteran receivers, we are lacking younger imports who can improve and maybe become something more than Kelly or Bryant are at this point in their careers. I could understand kicking the tires on a guy like Bryant if say Nick Moore was out for a month or something. Bringing in Romby on his last CFL legs rather than using those snaps on guys who could be that third imp receiver into 2015-2016 is disheartening.

Pretty safe to say the scouting at receiver was a failure when none of the guys who attended training camp were even good enough to keep on the practice roster.

And obviously it's disappointing that guys like Urritia didn't pan out especially when they showed so strong at the beginning of camp. The issue that I have is people acting as though the entire offseason's work by our scouts is a failure based on one position. You aren't going to hit home runs at every position in the offseason, it just isn't realistic. One offseason of a lack of young quality import receivers does not make me doubt the capabilities of our staff to find those kind of players in the future. It isn't always going to work out the way you hope. Yes past regimes have been able to unearth a receiver here and there but in the long run where did that get us as a team? I'd rather have a "ho-hum" group of new receivers for one season versus season after season of crap QB prospects and hanging on to over the hill DB's as has been the common theme the past couple of years. 

Overall I'll take this group of players over past groups brought in, in previous years. Quarterback has been addressed, we seem to finally have a very solid running back in Paris Cotton (Chad Simpson more often than not was average at best IMO), Goossen looks like he has all the tools to be a key contributor, and guys like Johnson and Leggett seem very promising. This team, regardless of the new batch of receivers, looks to be very much on the way up, and even though Romby Bryant is not a name that will get anyone excited around these parts I'll give our new team credit for at the very least kicking the tires on players instead of being arrogant enough to think year in and year out a bunch of no names will get the job done.

I'll go on the record and state I just don't like Romby Bryant and it has nothing to do with what football ability he may or may not have left.

If Romby Bryant had told Mike Kelly to go fork himself in the locker room, I would've been suggesting we throw him a parade. But he quit on the field. Visibly gave up.

I don't pay to watch guys living out their personal vendettas on the field. I also don't think it's fair to his teammates.

If he wears the uniform again, I won't boo him but I won't be sad if he doesn't pan out and if he does, when he's replaced either.

Well, I might boo him if he dresses for our club. Because Bryant clearly quit on his team-mates last time he was here and in my opinion he doesn't deserve to ever again wear a Blue Bombers jersey. It also bugs me that current management shows such obvious disregard for recent history - and disrespect for fans and former players. They may not be mindful of that - new slate etc. but to bring in a player like Bryant, who demonstrated an utter lack of professionalism while here, borders on arrogance more than desperation. Such arrogance is not a good sign and will inevitably boomerang on Walters, O'Shea and Bellefeuille down the road. 

You guys have no idea of what a total schmuck Mike Kelly was.

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to play for him.

How do I have no idea? I watched the same season you did.

Yeah but I doubt that you talked to Coach Harris as much as I did.

Not that Coach Harris ever ran Kelly down. You know he'd never do that. But just learning about some of the stuff that was going on made me conclude that Kelly had to go.

So RIchard Harris managed to never run the guy down, but Bryant couldn't be bothered to at least try hard during the games? That doesn't help me change my mind at all.

Wouldn't bother me one bit if they gave every castoff in the league a tryout.

In fact, they should really set up a special department to do just that.  Every time a player gets cut from another team, half the people on the interwebs suggest we pick him up.  Now we can satisfy all the armchair coaches.

Just don't sign the bad ones.

And for anyone who suggests that anything that happened in 2009 falls on the shoulders of someone other than Kelly, I will rain hellfire upon them.  Internet style.

Meh, I'd give him a look, I always like Bryant when he was in Blue and Gold. Contrary to the popular opinion on here I always admired his sticking up for his teammates in scuffles. I never held the opinion he was a me-first kind of guy.  

All players get a pass on anything that happened during the Mike Kelly period.  Extenuating circumstances and all that. 

I remember Bryant was one of those guys who will get into a scuffle in defense of a teammate especially for his QB (Glenn at that time).

I don't think he quit on his teammates... but he surely quit on his coach... and he's not alone, Simpson, Armstrong... to name a few.

Yeah, his teammates was a collateral damage on his decision but can you fault a guy (or those guys) who can't stand his arrogant coach?

When there are more and better ways to go about it...Yes I can.

Easy to say for us because we are not on that particular situation. Not every people have the same amount of temper.

And for anyone who suggests that anything that happened in 2009 falls on the shoulders of someone other than Kelly, I will rain hellfire upon them.  Internet style.

and to think there were a lot of very vocal people who actually supported the crap Kelly was doing

especially on the other forum. ;)

In fact, they should really set up a special department to do just that.  Every time a player gets cut from another team, half the people on the interwebs suggest we pick him up.  Now we can satisfy all the armchair coaches.

I think what they are suggesting is that there were 44 OTHER players who stuck it out to the bitter end and were 1 Mike Bishop pick away from hosting the ESF, those guys were the professionals, not the quiters.

First of all, Kelly or no Kelly .......at the time, Bryant simply wanted to leave, and by his lack of hustle and effort, on the field......eventually got what he wanted.   

Now, my tolerence level for that kind of stuff.....was and is, precisely 0.  Between that, the twitter loudmouths, the hot doggers and the other players who lacked professionalism....gin consumption was at a all-time high

That said, a certain amount of moons, have passed, since then....and bottom line - the only thing that interests me, now in the long view, under our new management......is the ongoing effort to beat every bush, look under every haystack, dig into every nook and cranny, kick every tire, stick any toe in the water, look for any port in the storm....and do whatever the hell needs to be done, however....to just make this a better football team.  Long term and short term.  If Bryant can (and prove it to the staff) provide us with some short term depth.....well ok then...

Of course Romby better not make any waves, outside of his bathtub.....because I for one, still remember......

Let's hope Romby is wanting to come back and make amends and heal the 5 yr old wounds of BB fans.

And with regards to the quality of our current receiver group, let's reserve full judgement on them until we see what Willy & Marcel can do with them.

I for one, think we will be pleasantly surprised....and that includes with Kelly & Bryant.

I'll go on the record and state I just don't like Romby Bryant and it has nothing to do with what football ability he may or may not have left.

If Romby Bryant had told Mike Kelly to go fork himself in the locker room, I would've been suggesting we throw him a parade. But he quit on the field. Visibly gave up.

I don't pay to watch guys living out their personal vendettas on the field. I also don't think it's fair to his teammates.

If he wears the uniform again, I won't boo him but I won't be sad if he doesn't pan out and if he does, when he's replaced either.

Well, I might boo him if he dresses for our club. Because Bryant clearly quit on his team-mates last time he was here and in my opinion he doesn't deserve to ever again wear a Blue Bombers jersey. It also bugs me that current management shows such obvious disregard for recent history - and disrespect for fans and former players. They may not be mindful of that - new slate etc. but to bring in a player like Bryant, who demonstrated an utter lack of professionalism while here, borders on arrogance more than desperation. Such arrogance is not a good sign and will inevitably boomerang on Walters, O'Shea and Bellefeuille down the road.

Complete douchebag, asshat or arrogant prick there is still a right way and a wrong way to deal with it.. He literally chose the worst option possible.. He stopped playing for the logo on his Jersey, the fans in the stands and the soldiers beside him in the trenches.. If this was a military situationsituation, he would have been court-martialed for mutiny or cowardice..

The guy quit. He gave up because he didn't like his boss.. You don't do that, especially when your position on a team is often based on respect.. I'm sure he lost alot of it in that locker room..

Don't mince words Spuds, just tell us how you really feel...

ehh pretty sure Spuds was a big Kelly apologist, it's no wonder he's out of sorts at a player who bailed on that assclown. 

Players always quit on bad coaches. We had a lot of guys quit on Tim Burke last year and we never see any comments about them because #1 Burke didn't trade them and #2 Burke didn't try and save face by trashing them for it in the media. 

If they do sign Romby I will be so depressed with our ability to scout players.

The dude's done. Maybe he fits as some low snap count guy on a contender.

I've had many good steaks at the Keg.  If they serve me one that's over done, does that immediately make them a bad restaurant?

If I've watched two other people try the steak they just put on my plate and proceed to spit it out, then yes.

You can try and spin it any way you like and no doubt current brain trust will try to do exactly that. But you know what? We've all worked for idiots from time to time. That's no excuse. You still do your job, unless, as demonstrated, you are me-first selfish. Bryant had 20 catches for 232 yards and no touchdowns through 11 games the year Kelly punted him to Stamps. We can do better than Romby Bryant, and bringing him in now is an insult to Bomber supporters and his former team-mates in Winnipeg.

After 4 games, the team had 521 yards passing!  Through those 4 games, Edwards lead the team with 134 yds receiving, Romby had 96 yards.  Can't blame Romby.

Out passing leaders were 

Game 1 S.Lefors 174

Game 2 S.LeFors 156

Game 3 S.LeFors 99

Game 4 S.LeFors and R.Williams 30 each

The entire team week in and week out quit on Tim Burke last season why is no one bitching that we brought back so many of them? Time to get over it, Kelly was a dink and alienated more than one player who isn't a problem player. 

Tim Burke's teams were flat out of the gate, poor in the 2nd quarter, and then never the right adjustments coming out of the half, and put points on the board in the 4th after the game was out of reach.

The last game of the season was horrible.

Well, looking beyond....the singular lack of preparedness, inability to make adjustments, playing not to win, throwing guys under the bus, creating a culture of excuses, and that ole 1000 yard hangdog stare.....I am certainly willing to give Burke a free pass.... on last years train wreck.....

Fingers inching towards bottle....

Don't mince words Spuds, just tell us how you really feel...

ehh pretty sure Spuds was a big Kelly apologist, it's no wonder he's out of sorts at a player who bailed on that assclown.

Players always quit on bad coaches. We had a lot of guys quit on Tim Burke last year and we never see any comments about them because #1 Burke didn't trade them and #2 Burke didn't try and save face by trashing them for it in the media.

A) I've already admitted I was wrong on Kelly.. Right ideas, wrong implementation and a horrible failure.

B) no connection between the 2.. Bryant quit. He stopped caring. He stopped supporting his team mates.. No player last year gave up nearly as badly as bryant did with the exception of Simpson and he was roundly called out for it..

C) did Kelly trash Bryant in the media? Didn't recall that. Regardless, another nonpoint because you continually fail to rationalize how it's acceptable to you for a player to QUIT on his brothers, his fan base and the team and community he was wearing on his back... And you can't. Because quitting is unacceptable. It's just as much a **** move as Kellys actions were and you know you don't fight fire with fire..

Are you suggesting that Kelly was to blame for the 2009 season. I never really thought about it like that until now. lmao

and to think there were a lot of very vocal people who actually supported the crap Kelly was doing

especially on the other forum. ;)

It was dark times for those of us grounded in reality.

Complete douchebag, asshat or arrogant prick there is still a right way and a wrong way to deal with it.. He literally chose the worst option possible.. He stopped playing for the logo on his Jersey, the fans in the stands and the soldiers beside him in the trenches.. If this was a military situationsituation, he would have been court-martialed for mutiny or cowardice..

The guy quit. He gave up because he didn't like his boss.. You don't do that, especially when your position on a team is often based on respect.. I'm sure he lost alot of it in that locker room..

LOL! Romby is just a puss filled zit on your butt. You haven't sat down in 5 years, SPuDs!! ;)