GDT: Argos @ Bombers

two plays by WIlly stood out to me...

1) I didn't like that deep ball to Moore.... even if the throw was on target Moore was still lined up to be destroyed by the safety.... Willy just needs to recognize that coverage over the top...

2) loved when he handed off to Cotton (maybe it was Grigsby?) and then took off in front of him to block.... it does make me a little nervous to see the starting QB as a lead blocker but still love the determination in the red zone...

Overall, a pretty solid effort... I can't remember the last time I left the stadium feeling ok about a loss...

TSN at 6:30pm MDT. Looking forward to this one. Last year it was 24 to 3 and thankfully wasn't televised. I wonder, are all the preseason games being telivised this year, or only a select few like last year?

This game, BC vs. Edmonton, Saskatchewan vs. Ottawa, Winnipeg vs. Calgary, Ottawa vs. Montreal, and Calgary vs. BC are on TV.

Montreal vs. Hamilton, and Saskatchewan vs. Edmonton are not on TV.

Add Hamilton vs. Toronto to the non-tv list.

Not mentioned but long snapping was excellent last night thought it would be a problem area but there was no bad ones.

There is one which goes a bit higher for Maher to catch up but still managed to do it. Other than that I didnt see anything. 

O'Shea is on the record as saying Willy needs reps as he isn't an established CFL starting QB. I would expect Willy to get at least a quarter on Saturday.

Of the 4 QBs on our roster, 3 are here based on McManus's advice. Based on last nights performance, he's 2 for 3 as Brohm did not look good. I'm a little uncomfortable we gave up a 4th round pick for Brohm, but maybe he will show us more on Saturday. The 4th rounder is the only reason I think Walters might keep Brohm...maybe they'll stash him on the 9 game IR or something. Willy looked like the next Ricky Ray with better mobility. Marve could be the next star QB, but will need some development. He at least deserves more playing time on Saturday. Bombers could have some real nice depth at QB in a year or two.

1) I didn't like that deep ball to Moore.... even if the throw was on target Moore was still lined up to be destroyed by the safety.... Willy just needs to recognize that coverage over the top...

2) loved when he handed off to Cotton (maybe it was Grigsby?) and then took off in front of him to block.... it does make me a little nervous to see the starting QB as a lead blocker but still love the determination in the red zone...

Overall, a pretty solid effort... I can't remember the last time I left the stadium feeling ok about a loss...

There are just soooooo many jokes you can make with the last name Willy.  I can see this getting out of hand!

There are just soooooo many jokes you can make with the last name Willy.  I can see this getting out of hand!

I was telling my GF at the game last night that the Bombers offensive line should start marketing condoms, just like Buck Pierce's chips. Their slogan could be "We protect the Bombers Willy...let us protect yours too".

O'Shea is on the record as saying Willy needs reps as he isn't an established CFL starting QB. I would expect Willy to get at least a quarter on Saturday.

I hope he gets at least a half. He needs time behind center and time with his receivers as the timing was off on a lot of throws last night. A few times you could see Willy was thinking one thing and the receivers another on a few throws. Denmark made Willy look good on that deep ball too, that was underthrown. Man I like Denmark, I sure hope they utilize him more this year.

Willy looked like the next Ricky Ray with better mobility. Marve could be the next star QB, but will need some development. He at least deserves more playing time on Saturday. Bombers could have some real nice depth at QB in a year or two.

Willy needs to get more accurate. There were a lot of underthrown and overthrown balls by Willy last night, including that one that almost killed Nick Moore. The key with RR is that he almost always puts the ball in perfectly. Calvillo in his prime was also an expert at doing that. If you have the accuracy then all you need is a split second and that ball is gone, and in a place the receiver can make a play on it, without getting his head taken off. I see a lot of potential in Willy and Marve, because they make plays happen with their feet. I am feeling more positive right now about our QB'ing then I have in a long time. I am still getting my head wrapped around having a QB starting with CFL experience who may have the potential to last more than two weeks behind center. It's been a long time since we've seen that!

I'll reserve most judgement on Marve and Brohm until at least another game.  

The only things I'll say at this point is that the confidence level of Marve looks 100x higher than that of Brohm.  Brohm seemed very confused at times.  He did however react well to the one blitz that he got off the quick throw to Volny for the first down.

Regardless, I wouldn't be making any proclamations on the QB depth chart based on these visuals.

I'd expect Willy to play the entire first half and a series or 2 in the second half in the final pre-season game, along with most of the starters on both sides of the ball.

It stinks that we play 2 pre-season games in 5 days, with basically a week of practice leading up to the first pre-season game, then have a week off.  They likely won't be able to install much more prior to the game on Saturday.  We have the crappiest pre-season schedule IMO, hopefully they rotate the short pre-season week through every team and we don't see it again for a few years (assuming Ottawa lasts long enough :P ).

I think the best pass of the night was the Brohm TD that was called back.

Willy I liked that all his throws were at least catchable for the receivers. No brink or hall skippers on the ground.

Who was 71 (or 74) that was playing at receiver. The dude gave up far to easily on a few bombs to him...

another comment I had was when the camera focused on Tim Burke in the press box at the controls of the Argo Defence. He had that same blank stare on his face that he used to have on the sidelines with us. I just felt so happy seeing him there that he wasn't our head coach anymore. Then I saw the White Zombie on the sidelines for Toronto too. Is Toronto collecting all of our bad ex-coaches? Where is Reinebold this year? Toronto could use him too. Add in Mike Kelly and they'll have the power quartet of futility.

another comment I had was when the camera focused on Tim Burke in the press box at the controls of the Argo Defence. He had that same blank stare on his face that he used to have on the sidelines with us. I just felt so happy seeing him there that he wasn't our head coach anymore. Then I saw the White Zombie on the sidelines for Toronto too. Is Toronto collecting all of our bad ex-coaches? Where is Reinebold this year? Toronto could use him too. Add in Mike Kelly and they'll have the power quartet of futility.

Hey now don't forget about Greg Marshall!  He needs some lovin too.

Speaking of Argos coaches, did anyone else notice that pot belly on Milonovich? Head coaching hours are really starting to get to that guy!...

Another thing about Willy that I liked was when he rolled out his throws to the sideline got there quickly and without skipping.... I'm getting far too used to seeing a floater or a ball skip on it's way over