GDT: Argos @ Bombers

lolFriesen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tonight's big winners for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bombers&src=hash">#Bombers</a>: Robert Marve, Paris Cotton, Greg Peach, Marty Markett, the two import kickers.</p>— Paul Friesen (@friesensunmedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/friesensunmedia/statuses/476225936812044289">June 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't jump on Friesen as much as other people... but cmon man, your only job is football!

I thought WIlly looked quite good - some inconsistent throws but I really liked his decision making and confidence.  

Never liked Hall, noodle arm and locks in on his guy early... will always be victimized.  Brohm - bye.  Marve - more please.

Good:  Cotton, Feoli-Guilino, Markett, Denmark, LH, Sherman, Goossen, MB's Playcalling

Bad:  Etch's D, Dunn, Banks, Volny, Tarver, JJohnson, Suber

Wouldn't say anyone else really stood out one way or the other...

I won't hang Pencer out to dry because his whiff could be as much on mixed signals as anything...  I sort of see the purpose of playing 3 import OL to protect Willy but didn't see the benefit of Saulsberry, Stevenson, etc in the second half... unless we really have given up on Pencer

My initial impression is that Brohm has few redeemable qualities as a CFL QB. But the OL was terrible in front of him. A couple times myself and my buddy looked at each other and wondered why they were blocking like it was a screen pass when Brohm was clearly going downfield, that's how bad it was.

Marve has a great arm. That pass he hit on the sideline was a beauty. Every QB tossed that same seam pattern at least once, and Marve was the only one who didn't require the receiver to turn back and fight the DB for the ball, he hit the guy in stride.

Willy runs the zone read very well, and that will save him from having to make a bunch of tough throws if we feature it.

Hall looks a little more comfortable, but he can't run the zone read if he isn't willing to pull the ball down himself...there was one really bad one where 3 Argos were bearing down on the RB and he didn't take it. Could have run for 20 yards or sucked in a DB and hit a good pass on the rollout.

Well, I really enjoyed the Dance Team's first number...  Freeze!

- Wild had a hard time finding the back.  At first, front four had no pressure, put DBs in a tough spot.  Vanilla Defense plays may have had something to do with it.

- Willy had some nice throws

- DE with the green shoes either has some oddball sized feet, or won't be sticking around long enough to deserve a pair of white shoes.

- Markett was trying to ball hawk again.

- Didn't notice Kuale.

- Cotton looked okay.  Woods looks to be a future game breaker.

- Brohm is wearing #12.  Didn't Kerwin wear #12?  Even though he'll never have Kerwin's NFL stats (5 for 5, 75 yds, 1 TD, 158.3 QB rating), he worked through his issues.

- Marve looks good.  His Uncle on here may be right - Marve looks to be the real deal.  Was that Jordan Yantz giving him advise on the bench?

- I liked when the Bombers went for 2, and O'Shea pretty much man handled Blake (the long snapper) to stay at the bench prior to the play.

- Wild had a hard time finding the back.  At first, front four had no pressure, put DBs in a tough spot.  Vanilla Defense plays may have had something to do with it.

- DE with the green shoes either has some oddball sized feet, or won't be sticking around long enough to deserve a pair of white shoes.

- Didn't notice Kuale.

- Brohm is wearing #12.  Didn't Kerwin wear #12?  Even though he'll never have Kerwin's NFL stats (5 for 5, 75 yds, 1 TD, 158.3 QB rating), he worked through his issues.

- Marve looks good.  His Uncle on here may be right - Marve looks to be the real deal.  Was that Jordan Yantz giving him advise on the bench?

- I liked when the Bombers went for 2, and O'Shea pretty much man handled Blake (the long snapper) to stay at the bench prior to the play.

Yantz was praising Marve on Twitter. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on the sidelines giving him some tips on the Canadian game.

- Didn't notice Kuale.

Kuale not being noticed isn't shocking.. Guys hurt and wasn't playing lol

- Didn't notice Kuale.

cotton looked more dangerous than woods on the returns and showed well when he was in at rb.

wow - great game. We lost but HUGE improvement from that dud we played last year against them. Marve was the best player I thought, though he came in when we were pushing he came in cold and looked like he had been playing the whole game. Willy impressed too. Hall..... you all know how I felt about that bum from last year at the other place, though he surprised me (last year). Brohm - I wouldn't write him off just yet. I think Marve,unless he lays a big egg, should be #2. 

Defense - didn't look great but had a couple of big takeaways. 

Special teams - one break down but otherwise I thought were solid.

Overall - a very solid effort. I think I'll be enjoying football again this summer.

- Didn't notice Kuale.

Kuale not being noticed isn't shocking.. Guys hurt and wasn't playing lol

Makes sense then.  

I haven't been to any practices, wasn't sure who was wearing what number, and had trouble reading names through the braids on a number of players.  My view of the front seven on the bench was a little restricted.

Pencer is bad. #analysis

Walby said Bombers have to fish or cut bait on Pencer. Guy has two massive knee supports plus a bum shoulder. Another busted Joe Mack pick. 

Tarver is just training camp fodder/garbage. Should be cut today or tomorrow.

Cory Watson is a solid WR w/ blocking potential but Walby said how many more games (or years) can the team wait until the guy plays regularly. Miss him as a secondary blocker as this current o-line is putrid, Just putrid. I suspect Walters will drag along with Watson thru most of this season and make decision at end of year. 

Brohm should be given the broom. Another brokedown NFL hobo.

Thought Brohm looked better than Hall to be honest, hall is hall. the 2 and out master. Wonder how much of last year was on hall.

Thought the D didn't look very good, bad  tackling, couldn't stop the run, probably very vanilla but somewhat concerning, however missing kuale and vega also, might make a difference, not sure if turner played either.

Brohm and Hall were all-pro hobos last night. Hall is durable and can serve as a 3rd stringer/mentor to Willy. 

Pencer is bad. #analysis

Walby said Bombers have to fish or cut bait on Pencer. Guy has two massive knee supports plus a bum shoulder. Another busted Joe Mack pick. 

Tarver is just training camp fodder/garbage. Should be cut today or tomorrow.

Cory Watson is a solid WR w/ blocking potential but Walby said how many more games (or years) can the team wait until the guy plays regularly. Miss him as a secondary blocker as this current o-line is putrid, Just putrid. I suspect Walters will drag along with Watson thru most of this season and make decision at end of year. 

Brohm should be given the broom. Another brokedown NFL hobo.

Have to disagree with you on the offensive line. Aside from the bit where we had Stevenson and Pencer manning the right side while Brohm was in, the offensive line looked pretty strong last night

I agree, especially in front of Willy.  I was noticing he actually had time to throw the ball.

Cotton Eye Joe was terrific last night.  Love me some Cotton man.  Ford who?

Willy did well.

Marve was a nice surprise even though he only got a few downs to throw the ball.  He showed really well.

Denmark made some beauty catches

Urrutia is HUGE...man that guy is a tall glass of water.  Good hands too.

Liam did well kicking too

Feoli-Gudino was nice to see out there too.  He looks like he's going to be a good receiver.

Defense was meh, but they also didn't have a few key starters out there either.  Still...Etch's defense...so far not impressed.

Denmark in fine form.

I thought Willy looked very good.

I didnt mind Hall.  Thought things just werent going his way.  He's better than he showed last night.

Marve was great but small sample size.

Liked Paris.

One thing I noticed about Willy, and you guys who know a lot more can tell me if Im off-base - the second the ball was in his hands he was staring right at the guy he was going to throw to every time.

Still nobody mentioning Kemp. He was Marvelous Marve's go-to receiver on his TD drive. Smooth, smart, fast.  He's a playmaker.

I try not to read too much into receivers playing well in the preseason.

Our leading receivers the last three preseasons have been Trevor Kennedy, Doug Pierce, Perry Floyd and Josh Bishop.

I didnt mind Hall.  Thought things just werent going his way.  He's better than he showed last night.

Agreed.

I agree with most of the names other people are throwing out for who looked good. I'll add that I thought Morley looked good at centre. He made a big block that sprung Cotton for his big run. I also thought Neufeld looked ok at RT. IMO he looked better than Jones did.

I also thought Derek Jones looked good. I'm not sure he was ever thrown at, but he always seemed to be close to his man, or at least he did when I was watching him.

Another guy that looked rough (which was not what I expected) was Kenny Tate.

I expect they'll keep him around because he's got potential and DE is a brand new position for him, but he didn't live up to the hype last night at all.

Another guy that looked rough (which was not what I expected) was Kenny Tate.

I expect they'll keep him around because he's got potential and DE is a brand new position for him, but he didn't live up to the hype last night at all.

I thought Stafford Gatling showed better than Tate. Also I agree with others that Neufeld looked okay. He played a lot of snaps, I do believe that he will be starting on the OL by week one, whether he is at guard or tackle I don't know.