GDT: Argos @ Bombers

What was the attendance last nite? FP doesn't seem to have a box score on their website!

Just shy of 25k at last count iirc.

Is 8,500+ empty seats a cause for concern? Or did the construction on Pembina Hwy and the ticket prices keep fans away?

It looked more like 27 or 28,000 on TV but TSN is instructed NOT to show big gaps of empty chairs!

What was the attendance last nite? FP doesn't seem to have a box score on their website!

Just shy of 25k at last count iirc.

Is 8,500+ empty seats a cause for concern? Or did the construction on Pembina Hwy and the ticket prices keep fans away?

It looked more like 27 or 28,000 on TV but TSN is instructed NOT to show big gaps of empty chairs!

I doubt that is a concern at all.  Its pre-season.  it was nice to see a lot of people out and about in the area.

Bartley kives must be wringing his hands in anticipation of an opening-season transportation cluster.

We also have a few new players out there according to the Jumbotron.

Steve Upon Morris

Nicked Greg Bee

I can't even imagine what it said when Feoli Gudino scored.

They also managed to make the terrible error with Kim Babij as Kim Back ***** (well, Lady Dog)

Apparently we also dressed My Kill Ray Garvin yesterday, according to a buddy of mine.

To me it looked like willy under threw the receivers on longer passes.

and moore got killed making a strong effort  for what appeared to be an off target willy pass.

Willy seemed to have more time than max hall, I don't know if that's cause of the way Hall plays, or something else.

Best passer yesterday seemed to be  Marve, I thought. at least for accuracy and velocity.

3 stars

1. Willy looked good  - poised, made quick decision

2. Cotton - made a case for the #1 RB

3. Marve - impressive, I like to see more

Honorable mention

kickers - looked great both are keepers

Markett - played like there is no tomorow

B.Johnson - always near the ball

Bucknor - didn't look out of place on the CB position

Sherman - nice hustle on the Pachall TD run

Kemp - for the 2 late receptions off Marve

Denmark - highlight grab from Brohm over the middle

Peach - 2 sacks

To me it looked like willy under threw the receivers on longer passes.

and moore got killed making a strong effort  for what appeared to be an off target willy pass.

Willy seemed to have more time than max hall, I don't know if that's cause of the way Hall plays, or something else.

Best passer yesterday seemed to be  Marve, I thought. at least for accuracy and velocity.

Willy is a classic drop back guy with quick release. He doesn't muck around - just fires the ball to open spots and established windows.

Hall takes a bit more time, isn't as quick getting into throwing position and tends to wrong foot a lot of his tosses due to time constraints. Definitely the weakest arm on the team although he's pretty good tossing 10 to 20 yd affairs.

Brohm was just off last night. Timing, routes, broken routes, etc. 

Marve had some superb moments including lugging the ball for a long gain.

Still nobody mentioning Kemp. He was Marvelous Marve's go-to receiver on his TD drive. Smooth, smart, fast.  He's a playmaker.

I try not to read too much into receivers playing well in the preseason.

Our leading receivers the last three preseasons have been Trevor Kennedy, Doug Pierce, Perry Floyd and Josh Bishop.

It's just what I've seen from the guy in a couple training camp sessions and then at the game (whatever my insights are worth). It was a great play to read the comeback throw on the TD.

Still nobody mentioning Kemp. He was Marvelous Marve's go-to receiver on his TD drive. Smooth, smart, fast.  He's a playmaker.

I try not to read too much into receivers playing well in the preseason.

Our leading receivers the last three preseasons have been Trevor Kennedy, Doug Pierce, Perry Floyd and Josh Bishop.

It's just what I've seen from the guy in a couple training camp sessions and then at the game (whatever my insights are worth). It was a great play to read the comeback throw on the TD.

Agreed. He seems like he's worth keeping around, big turnaround from when I thought he'd be one of the first cuts.

Just remember though, Marve was playing against the last tier defense that Toronto had.  I didn't look close but was there even any starters on their D at the end of the game?  I'd like to see him against Toronto's starters.

Still I enjoyed watching him.

I liked the mobility of both Willy and Marve. Both guys made plays with their feet, while Hall and Brohm just stood there and so Toronto knew they had a far easier time dealing with those guys. Say what you will, but a mobile QB to me seems to be preferable, at least in the CFL. Their ability to just take off with the ball adds another dimension to the offence that is necessary to keep defences off balance. That fake hand-off by Willy was a beauty, had the whole Argo defence going for the running back. I didn't notice that he had the ball until he was sprinting over the line. I just can't see Hall pulling off something like that, or if he did, he'd get two feet, get tackled and fumble the ball.

I can't wait for Saturday, hopefully Osh and the gang saw the same things we did and will give most of the playing time to Willy and Marve next game. Hall can be third string and Brohm can go back home.

Just remember though, Marve was playing against the last tier defense that Toronto had.  I didn't look close but was there even any starters on their D at the end of the game?  I'd like to see him against Toronto's starters.

Still I enjoyed watching him.

Marve was also playing with our back up offence

Willy looked real good, great reads , good mobility and he was accurate I can't see how anyone couldn't be happy with his play.

Hall looked dismal, weak arm , didn't get the ball out quick and was not handling the blitz well.

Brohm started out rough, but he at least showed some arm strength and made a few good passes and had a TD called back.

Marve is the 2nd coming of Flutie that is all..... He made quick reads and accurate passes and has good speed. He looked good.

I would like to see more hall and Brohm next game..

I seriously hope Marve gets at least a quarter next game. The whole time Hall and Brohm were bumbling away out there I was thinking "ok we've seen what these guys can do, time to try someone else". Hall was just brutal. Brohm was even worse.

Same here, I want to see more of Marve. I'll give Brohm a bit of a slack. He should have a TD if not for Carter's offside penalty. I want to see how he will fare behind our 1st team OL. I will be surprised if Hall is still here comes Banjo Bowl.

Haven't had time to read through all the posts.  Not sure if mentioned but I like the ST play most of the night.  I don't think they they allowed TO past the 25 on any kickoff (unless there was a penalty) for the first half and maybe a few times in the second half (3rd/4th) stringers.  Most of the time we had to back up so we didn't draw a no yards penalty!  I know a lot of this was due to the great kickoffs and punts but it seemed the guys were all over the ball or the carrier rather quickly.

Also the park and ride in and out was super quick.  No delays in or out.  The staff seemed extra friendly all over the stadium.  Quick concession lines etc. etc.  Just a props overall to IGF staff.  They seemed to have figured out a lot of the kinks.  

Based solely on last nights performance, the QB's would be:

1. Marve - Small sample against the worst Toronto had.  Still the the best accuracy and zip on the ball.  Used his feet well to move the pocket and to run when needed,  Brought life to a dead offence. Dove for a first down and had the best stats.  Moved to #3 on the charts last night IMHO.  I want to see him against better competition.

2. Willy - 50% passing.  2 of the 6 completions were great catches, not great throws.  Almost got Moore killed with an errant pass.  Got his INT called back or else his stats would have been worse.  Still looked like a QB with some  plus side.  Outplayed Hall by a wide margin.  Ran well when he had to.  He needs to step it up IMHO as 108 yards in a half won't get us many wins.

3. Hall - Gets #3 by default.  Not a good outing.  No accuracy.  Not enough zip on the ball.  Seemed slow.  Our #1 QB last year looks to be our 3rd best QB this year, which is progress IMHO.

4. Brohm - Poor performance.  Poor accuracy.  Other than one good ball, he looked like the game was way to fast for him.  #4 reps this week I hope.

I'd like to see Marve get 3rd string reps starting tomorrow.  Give Willy the first half plus one set of downs next week.  Give Hall the rest of the 3rd and give Marve the 4th.