Passing of Ken Ploen and Gerry James

Ken Ploen and Bud Grant will always be synonymous for me growing up....They built the Bombers into one of the geatest teams that Winnipeg has ever seen....I will always remember the Cup wins, and the successful seasons Kenny quarterbacked us to, in the sixties...He was a class act and one of the greatest ever to grace Wpg. with his football acumen and his off field demeanour.....A part of this city's football lore that won't be forgotten   R.I.P Kenny and condolences to his family

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

oooof... what a day......

Brutal. Quite possibly the most under appreciated/celebrated Canadian RB to ever play. When he was done playing he was 2nd only to Normie Kwong for rushing yards by a Canadian. Also the only human in history to play in the Grey Cup game and Stanley Cup finals during the same season. Amazing feat. Another legend gone. RIP.

Gerry James - Wikipedia

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

That's a double gut punch hearing both Ploen and Gerry have passed...Ol timers taking a hit hearing their hometown heros are gone.....James was something else in his day....all around athlete ....football, hockey and baseball.....Condolences to his family

• Jpan85 changed the title to Passing of Ken Ploen and Gerry James

Gerry James was a true super athlete. The media made a big thing about Bo Jackson & Deion Sanders playing MLB & football the same season. Think of pro football then followed by pro hockey with the Leafs in the same season. Perhaps even the same day. I believe I read a story somewhere that the Bombers won the 1961 GC in OT at CNE Stadium in Toronto. That night, James was in a Maple Leafs uniform playing defense at Maple Leaf Gardens. Back when the NHL only had 6 teams. Leafs Coach Punch Imlach liked him so much that he kept a spot open for him. 

I read Gerry James book. In it, he described his dislike for Bud Grant. How he felt he disrespected Canadians on the Bombers by his treatment of them. How Americans made more money than the Canadians & how cheap Grant was. James left the Bombers in a contract dispute & finished his career with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. For decades, the relationship between the Bombers & James was scarred. I think things were better after Wade Miller took over as President & really wanting him back as a Bomber alumni but I don't think things were ever totally repaired. 

On 2024-02-14 at 7:04 PM, Noeller said:

why everyone hates everyone from that province.....

In fairness I do remember someone on Ourbombers yelling Go Blue during a moment of silence at a Bomber game and trying to defend his actions on the site afterwards when people said "Not cool".    I forget the username but it was a younger guy.  

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

In fairness I do remember someone on Ourbombers yelling Go Blue during a moment of silence at a Bomber game and trying to defend his actions on the site afterwards when people said "Not cool".    I forget the username but it was a younger guy.  

A couple of incidents like that. One was when Don Wittman had died and his family was on field for a tribute and a moment of silence. Fans in the student section chanting “Go Bombers go” throughout.

You are referencing the Remebrance Day game where someone was chanting during the requested moment of silence for fallen soldiers. Came on Ourbombers saying veterans would applaud him expressing his freedom of speech they fought for instead of being bothered by him not respecting the moment of silence. I think the argument devolved into a debate about whether standing was better than sitting for making noise before said poster conceded they were in the wrong and just attention seeking during the moment of silence and may have been insensitive to the moment. 

But every fan base has its share of loogans. Some Winnipeggers throw beer cans, some Saskatchewites dump manure on lawns, some Vancouverites and Montrealers riot, some Hamiltonians fight opposing team’s players and coaches, and some Torontonians engage in passive resistance as a form of protest (at least I assume given their conscientious objection to attending games). 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I can remember vividly the clash between Bud and James and it was mostly over Gerry's going to the Leafs during hockey season...Bud did not want one of his star players getting nic'd in another sport ...especially when they were in the Cup years, hence the disagreement ....I don't know that it was ever bitter, because James was always given the green light to go to the Leafs....but not with Grant's blessing....The contract squabbles I know nothing about, but there were always players who thought they were worth more then.....much like today

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Along with two pilsner's being flung around getting people wet, wearing a Kerry Joseph Jersey 5 sizes too small and his sister/wife in tow.

the typical Riders fan has a blank jersey for sure because they can't name anyone that actually plays for the team... it's just "I'm from Saskatchewan so I cheer for the Riders and wear green!"

On 2024-02-14 at 4:15 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Gerry James was a true super athlete. The media made a big thing about Bo Jackson & Deion Sanders playing MLB & football the same season. Think of pro football then followed by pro hockey with the Leafs in the same season. Perhaps even the same day. I believe I read a story somewhere that the Bombers won the 1961 GC in OT at CNE Stadium in Toronto. That night, James was in a Maple Leafs uniform playing defense at Maple Leaf Gardens. Back when the NHL only had 6 teams. Leafs Coach Punch Imlach liked him so much that he kept a spot open for him. 

I read Gerry James book. In it, he described his dislike for Bud Grant. How he felt he disrespected Canadians on the Bombers by his treatment of them. How Americans made more money than the Canadians & how cheap Grant was. James left the Bombers in a contract dispute & finished his career with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. For decades, the relationship between the Bombers & James was scarred. I think things were better after Wade Miller took over as President & really wanting him back as a Bomber alumni but I don't think things were ever totally repaired. 

So it's settled, Austin Matthews in for Damian Jackson this year as the import FB we don't want or need.  He should be available after the first round of playoffs....again....so just in time for training camp....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

• 3 weeks later...