Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

I’m hoping we pick up a few guys (#manifesting)  — but we aren’t tearing down and building up like the low level teams. 

We are replacing some windows and upgrading some appliances - getting estimates and comparison shopping. 

Other teams have a crumbling foundation that need immediate fixes. 

The funniest thing about today is it is basically just confirming what we have known for a week. 

Not seeing many/any signings that are breaking news. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’m hoping we pick up a few guys (#manifesting)  — but we aren’t tearing down and building up like the low level teams. 

We are replacing some windows and upgrading some appliances - getting estimates and comparison shopping. 

Other teams have a crumbling foundation that need immediate fixes. 

really....I see us only "needing" 2 guys along the dline.....and by needing I mean preferably a veteran who can play and a depth/role guy

I for one would not be opposed in the lest to signing Sewell to a one yr deal in the middle while we groom 2025 replacement on the fly....and would love Kongbo as that Canadian depth/rotation guy....and like I mentioned...Sewell could come in with the jumbo package as he has done that for yrs and would move bodies better than Mr Seal....

The key to me this yr with 10 draft picks is to either use a couple to acquire someone....or actually use them this yr with guys who can yes...play teams but also contribute and develop into something more....not just these guys who stood out on their ST film, but projected as nothing beyond that....as thats what got us into this lil depth predicament we have seen the last 2 yrs...we lost focus a bit and didnt project down the road verywell

Edited by Booch

I was fully expecting one of if not both of the tackles to leave the team this year. That tackle spot leaves me a bit nervous but otherwise the O looks like it's set up to be one of the best this year.

The defence has a few more ?? right now, but they may be solved shortly. I'm prepared for a step back honestly, but they'll still be competitive in every game. I really hope they find 3 or 4 solid starter quality players in TC this year and they get lots of experience so that when 2025 comes around they're ready to go, no questions asked.

I'm honestly more excited about 2025 than I am this year lol. 

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I for one would not be opposed in the lest to signing Sewell to a one yr deal in the middle while we groom 2025 replacement on the fly....and would love Kongbo as that Canadian depth/rotation guy....and like I mentioned...Sewell could come in with the jumbo package as he has done that for yrs and would move bodies better than Mr Seal....

I agree with that move.....The kinda move we shoulda/coulda made with the lemonater last year, that worked out well for the Als.

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

no...he is ready to rock....look at his social media

Hilarious that you mock the Riders for signing Micah Johnson and then on the next page you opine for the signing of Almondo Sewell.     Keep the comedy coming...

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Do you care to expand on the skeleton of what it used to be comment?  

The way i see it our secondary is "essentially" unchanged. Winnipeg didn't seriously go after Houston because besides costing us the Grey Cup he isn't anything special. He lead the team in interceptions because he was the most targeted defensive back on the team. As it stands right now we have a differences makers re-signed in the secondary and will need to find one corner and a couple backups. We've never really had trouble finding DB's. There's a reason why the top corner's in this league are making chicken scratch compared to other positions but the two halfbacks (Nichols and Holm) we have coming back are special players in this league.

Linebacking core is unchanged. Healthy Wilson could make an impact.  

Defensive line is the only area really deserving comment.  It looks like Jeffcoat's time was up in the CFL. Its easy to argue that the entire league viewed his performance last year as essentially replacement level  based on the lack of offers. That leaves us with losing Ricky Walker....  This is what makes the bombers D a skeleton?  Ricky Walker?  I mean he was decent for us but by no means was he at the level we had been accustomed to in years past. With the alternative leagues down south cutting half of the jobs this offseason and reducing salaries on the rest of them I think Winnipeg can easily find a DT and a Corner. 

Keeeeeeeep dreaming!

Wilson isn't the same player after his injury in 2022, but Bighill is a fraction of his old self.  Here hoping you trot  him out again this season.  Not even sure who your 3rd LB is.  

And regarding your Dline, the only player of relevence left on the Bombers Dline is Jefferson.   Seriously who else is there?

As far as the Riders, it looks like they are going with either/both Christian Albright or Brian Cox Jr on the other side of Malik Carney.  Both looked very capable last year on a very poorly coached football. team.

Edited by Wheeler

Just now, Goalie said:

Riders have won as many grey cups as the bombers been in the last 4 years. Maybe some reality is needed for you. 

That's true, but we have won exactly the same amount of Grey Cups the past 20 years and we have won the only Grey Cup meeting between the Bombers and the Riders.    That Fantuz TD over the middle was a thing of beauty.

Just now, Wheeler said:

That's true, but we have won exactly the same amount of Grey Cups the past 20 years and we have won the only Grey Cup meeting between the Bombers and the Riders.    That Fantuz TD over the middle was a thing of beauty.

You beat our backup that day eons ago, but I guess wherever you can cling to some faint hope …

1 minute ago, IC Khari said:

Oh … and 2013 😂

More than 10 years ago. So, two Grey Cups to zero. 

Saskatchewan has to host the Grey Cup every so often so that they can remember what the trophy looks like. A pathetic organization. 

Love O'Day. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I agree with that move

37 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Looking at your attendance last year I’d suspect a save the riders telethon ain’t far off 

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

More than 10 years ago. So, two Grey Cups to zero. 

Saskatchewan has to host the Grey Cup every so often so that they can remember what the trophy looks like. A pathetic organization. 

Love O'Day. 

Lol I like how we are splitting this into years. I think at the EOD one can't escape 12-4 no matter how one slices it. That's the end goal here. # of Grey Cups won regardless of year.

Next this poster is going to brag that the RoughRiders have won more Thursday games than the Bombers over the last two years. lol

45 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Hilarious that you mock the Riders for signing Micah Johnson and then on the next page you opine for the signing of Almondo Sewell.     Keep the comedy coming...

Wilson isn't the same player after his injury in 2022, but Bighill is a fraction of his old self.  Here hoping you trot  him out again this season.  Not even sure who your 3rd LB is.  

And regarding your Dline, the only player of relevence left on the Bombers Dline is Jefferson.   Seriously who else is there?

As far as the Riders, it looks like they are going with either/both Christian Albright or Brian Cox Jr on the other side of Malik Carney.  Both looked very capable last year on a very poorly coached football. team.

Lawson/Thomas/Bennett and Haba who looked decent as a pass rusher. My point though is the Defense hasn’t really lost a lot of key talent from last season and last year they ranked 1st against the run and 1st against the pass. Montreal’s d was the only one that really gave them a run for their money statistically. They need to improve their pass rush this offseason.  They’ll probably sign a free agent or two. But the real talent that this team keeps acquiring is through its American scouting. You have to be able to rely on that or else you end up overpaying for high priced free agents.

Everyone keeps talking about how bad Bighill looked last season. You guys should have told opposing offensive coordinators because they sure didn’t take advantage of it in any meaningful enough way.  Whether it’s elite coaching or elite talent it doesn’t matter to me how they keep getting it done. And I fully expect that to continue. 

40 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Lol I like how we are splitting this into years. I think at the EOD one can't escape 12-4 no matter how one slices it. That's the end goal here. # of Grey Cups won regardless of year.

Next this poster is going to brag that the RoughRiders have won more Thursday games than the Bombers over the last two years. lol

those thursday games tho....so tough haha