Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Godber...Bandy...Ferland...Blake who is falling apart and not even close to what he was...6 yrs ago....so he is seeing super stars

Yep. Godber is average at best, Ferland is a disaster, and Blake won't get past game 2 and will be below average at best even if he does.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why are you guys even keeping this guy engaged in a conversation? You’re keeping him from his sister, let him live.

His sister asked us too. She needed a break.

8 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I read on here many times over the past month or so that losing Oliveira wasn't a big deal because he could easily be replaced by an American,.   What has changed?

And yes I agree about the North end argument.   The north end of Regina does resemble Winnipeg quite a bit.    Drove through there a few months ago, driving into Winnipeg from the  west on the TransCanada was like driving into Beirut.   

Nothing has changed. We know how to recruit unlike teams that play in a big rectangular province. Therefore, moving on from players while maintaining a championship calibre team is a lot easier for us. Having said that, BO is back and is going to truck you guys while we hold the one dimensional Oulette to 35 yards on 10 carries.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Mike said:

Why are you guys even keeping this guy engaged in a conversation? You’re keeping him from his sister, let him live.

thats why...we saving her

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yep. Godber is average at best, Ferland is a disaster, and Blake won't get past game 2 and will be below average at best even if he does.

and factor in that behind that garbage...Harris will either..1) likely be hurt...again or be pounded game in and game out as they try and implement an actual pro style offense this year, 2) just suck as per usual..moving the team between the 30's 3) the ultimate combo package of both.....and then the season rests on the shoulders of Mason fricken Fine.....now thats a warm fuzzy feeling!

That's basically all you need to even look at in regards to the Riders...

Just now, Booch said:

thats why...we saving her

and factor in that behind that garbage...Harris will either..1) likely be hurt...again or be pounded game in and game out as they try and implement an actual pro style offense this year, 2) just suck as per usual..moving the team between the 30's 3) the ultimate combo package of both.....and then the season rests on the shoulders of Mason fricken Fine.....now thats a warm fuzzy feeling!

That's basically all you need to even look at in regards to the Riders...

Thing is with Harris, is that he is an interception machine if he is pressured and he will be pressured. However, he has shown some fragility the past few years so I don't expect the Riders get a whole season from him.

51 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

This is quite literally one of the most ridiculous posts I have read in years.   Everyone you say signs with the Riders,they will not get their bang for their buck.   This coming from a fan of a team that is spending $1.34 million dollars on 4 players on offence lol.

And getting Ouellette for $70K less than Oliveira is a pretty good deal for the Riders.

12-4

27-19

oops forgot to insert the happy face.

🙂

Edited by HardCoreBlue

1 hour ago, Booch said:

But how many were wanting to target Schoen and BO too tho? The way I look at it we locked up the best available RB ...WR....Back-up QB and top 3 DE in WJ....Not too mention top DB in Nichols....they were all our own guys, but that says something to who we recruited, drafted, and signed as previous FA's

All those guys mentioned could have gotten and signed for more every where else in the league....I guess you could throw Bryant in there as well...still the top..if not top 2 LT in league until proven otherwise...if we moved on from him you know every team would be calling...same with Neuf...we can't help it that most our guys that were soon to be free agents are tops in their positions...and it seems like we been idle.

We also let some of ours walk as well who were due a price hike, but probably not worth what they were to be getting, and def not worth our time and money to match

Sure, but replacing them with who?

Name the positions where we have improved over last season (so far):

- QB(?)

- End of list?

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

- QB(?)

- End of list?

???? Free agency opened 3 hours ago. 

Please breakdown the new players we've signed and our draft picks. I'll wait. 

48 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Yet all you guys do is talk about them.   Bombers to their credit have had a great few years at the top, watching them crumble to Fajardo and the Alouettes in the Grey Cup spoke volumes in my opinion.

Stanley is a couple years short of 40 and he actually started looking human last year.  Your Dline is a punchline right now.   LB's are nothing to write honme about.   3 receivers making over $700K is utterly ridiculous and the holes that will create on the rest of the roster already shows, especially on defence.  You can't deny that the Bombers defence right now is a skeleton of what it used to be.   Is Bighill even coming back, because word is Ouellette is inquiring.  ;)

Do you care to expand on the skeleton of what it used to be comment?  

The way i see it our secondary is "essentially" unchanged. Winnipeg didn't seriously go after Houston because besides costing us the Grey Cup he isn't anything special. He lead the team in interceptions because he was the most targeted defensive back on the team. As it stands right now we have a differences makers re-signed in the secondary and will need to find one corner and a couple backups. We've never really had trouble finding DB's. There's a reason why the top corner's in this league are making chicken scratch compared to other positions but the two halfbacks (Nichols and Holm) we have coming back are special players in this league.

Linebacking core is unchanged. Healthy Wilson could make an impact.  

Defensive line is the only area really deserving comment.  It looks like Jeffcoat's time was up in the CFL. Its easy to argue that the entire league viewed his performance last year as essentially replacement level  based on the lack of offers. That leaves us with losing Ricky Walker....  This is what makes the bombers D a skeleton?  Ricky Walker?  I mean he was decent for us but by no means was he at the level we had been accustomed to in years past. With the alternative leagues down south cutting half of the jobs this offseason and reducing salaries on the rest of them I think Winnipeg can easily find a DT and a Corner. 

Keeeeeeeep dreaming!

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

- QB(?)

- End of list?

Seems like a pretty good position to have got better at. 

When you are already at the top it is hard to dramatically improve. Point me in the direction of the top 4 team from last year that is doing better. 

I will wait…

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

???? Free agency opened 3 hours ago. 

Please breakdown the new players we've signed and our draft picks. I'll wait. 

Yeah, I know. But a bunch of the other teams were able to poach some valuable pieces during the tampering window. The guys we are losing, as much as I agree it is time to move on from most if not all of them, are not going to be easy to replace with CFL rookies.

Had we spent time actually developing guys last year I would probably be more confident that there was a succession plan in place.

Just now, Geebrr said:

Seems like a pretty good position to have got better at. 

When you are already at the top it is hard to dramatically improve. Point me in the direction of the top 4 team from last year that is doing better. 

I will wait…

God damn it everyone, just let me freak out!!!

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Yeah, I know. But a bunch of the other teams were able to poach some valuable pieces during the tampering window. The guys we are losing, as much as I agree it is time to move on from most if not all of them, are not going to be easy to replace with CFL rookies.

Had we spent time actually developing guys last year I would probably be more confident that there was a succession plan in place.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but my counter point would be to ask if you’re paying as close attention to the pieces those other teams have lost as well

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but my counter point would be to ask if you’re paying as close attention to the pieces those other teams have lost as well

Probably not. Maybe comparing us to other teams is foolish. But our biggest weakness was arguably the front 7 last year. I guess I was expecting us to acquire someone of note with a proven track record to help us out there. The guys we lost should have freed up some cash to do so, in theory.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

- QB(?)

- End of list?

Typically the improvements come from the recruiting department.  A lot of the top players on this team are guys we've recruited and often they had instant impact. When you're a top team you will never improve on paper before factoring in your American recruits and your Canadian draft class.   The game is all about minimize the drain in free agency and then recruiting as well as you can. I don't see a large set of needs especially in a year where so much new American talent was made available with half of the USFL/XFL folding. 

any improvement for this team was always going to have to come from the scouting department.  Age and cost meant losses were inevitable. Young players coming in is always what was needed and that won't be known until the season starts. Given the history of them finding guys who can play though, I will be optimistic. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Oh god Colin, just leave the arguing to the adults 

When it comes to me you just make these weak little one liners without any substance. Like the time you came after me for suggesting there "might" be a role for the global kickers the teams drafted last year. 

I think there’s probably still some cash available to make some moves, but it doesn’t have to come 4 hours into free agency. 

I do have concerns with going into the season with so many question marks on D and special teams, so I hope we clean up there a bit.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

any improvement for this team was always going to have to come from the scouting department.  Age and cost meant losses were inevitable. Young players coming in is always what was needed and that won't be known until the season starts. Given the history of them finding guys who can play though, I will be optimistic. 

When you have recruitment as good as ours, you gotta lean on it every few years so that we don't blow our SMS structure up and try build through FA like a certain green team hasn't figured out yet. Honestly blows me away that they had the chance to start an earnest rebuild this year and instead are running it back with a 40 year old QB and blowing their wad in FA. SMH. Mace is a yes man to O'Day, and this won't end well for them.

13 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

- QB(?)

- End of list?

how do u improve over Schoen and Brady, and in house db's we already have will improve over Houston

Back up QB as well is an improved area...even with all the Brown luvin that many had...we much stronger there now

Just now, Mike said:

I think there’s probably still some cash available to make some moves, but it doesn’t have to come 4 hours into free agency. 

I do have concerns with going into the season with so many question marks on D and special teams, so I hope we clean up there a bit.

I like Walters ability to find guys that represent good value for the money we spend. I'm sure there will be a few like that added.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

how do u improve over Schoen and Brady, and in house db's we already have will improve over Houston

Back up QB as well is an improved area...even with all the Brown luvin that many had...we much stronger there now

Our only big loss was Yoshi. The rest, it was time or we had just as good in house already.

Just now, GCn20 said:

I like Walters ability to find guys that represent good value for the money we spend. I'm sure there will be a few like that added.

Our only big loss was Yoshi. The rest, it was time or we had just as good in house already.

and my gut says it may have been time with Yosh too