Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

This isn't a jersey but it does have to do with a CFL collectible. I have one of the first printings in paperback of Jim Young's book, "Dirty 30". Even though he was never a Bomber, I still loved the guy because he was a true Canadian Superstar when he played. How he got to the CFL via that intraleague NFL-CFL trade in 1967, the way he played, his flamboyancy & controversy made me a natural to be one of his biggest fans as a teen. My book is in rough shape as it's 50 years old. The back is falling apart & the glue is failing so the pages are coming out. It's just.... old!

I contacted this place in Edmonton who repair old books & they said that they could redo the book & make it look better than brand new. I contacted Jim Young on Facebook & told him who I was & asked once the book is repaired, would he be kind enough to autograph it for me? He said yes! Just have to ship it up for repairs to get 'er done. Then contact Jim Young.

Young was a real renegade in his day....How could you not like the guy....He represented to me a guy who played with a big chip on his shoulder but also had the talent that went along with it....I remember him playing with, let's say an 'edge'...I always thought the description 'dirty' was a misnomer...BUT he liked it....One of the best canucks to have played in the Cfl 

On 2024-02-24 at 11:46 AM, BomberBall said:

After the ‘84 west final my family and I were invited to the stadium to greet the team… Can’t remember what they called the room in the old barn… Anyway, I got an autograph from Rick House on my jersey… He had consumed a few pops and signed with the pen in his mouth.  It was pretty hilarious and I’ll never forget it.

What a great memory. 

I was always Rick House when we played football after school. Good times.

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Young was a real renegade in his day....How could you not like the guy....He represented to me a guy who played with a big chip on his shoulder but also had the talent that went along with it....I remember him playing with, let's say an 'edge'...I always thought the description 'dirty' was a misnomer...BUT he liked it....One of the best canucks to have played in the Cfl 

Some of the stories in Young's book are hilarious. I'm looking at the paperback right now & thinking I should re-read it for the umpteenth time.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What a great memory. 

I was always Rick House when we played football after school. Good times.

House & Joe Pop were the best tandem receivers on the inside bar none. Canadian or American.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of the stories in Young's book are hilarious. I'm looking at the paperback right now & thinking I should re-read it for the umpteenth time.

House & Joe Pop were the best tandem receivers on the inside bar none. Canadian or American.

Don't have to convince me. Tough as nails and good human beings as well.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder what the oldest jersey any one on here has of the bombers? I don’t have any super old, but it’d be pretty cool to see. 

lol. My 2005 Charlie Roberts.

It was the year after I graduated high school and I could finally buy myself a jersey.

48 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What year range? That’s super cool. 

Leo played TE & OLB for the Bombers from 1978-82. If the jersey just has normal stripes on the sleeves then it's from 1978 or 79. If it's 1980, it has the Bomber logo with a 50 on top of the arm stripes to mark 50 years as an organization. (It was the Bombers 50th birthday in 1980). In 1981-82, the Bomber logo is on top of the three stripes.

1980 50th anniversary logo: 6298_winnipeg_blue_bombers-anniversary-1

Since we're talking memorabilia, here's a jersey that claims to be a game worn Leo Lewis 1958 Grey Cup game jersey. There's a letter of authentication but it means nothing, just says that the jersey looks like one Lewis wore at the time. There is no provenance outlining the chain of ownership etc so I'd be wary. I think it was for sale, or one like it, couple years ago for around the same asking price. Looks cool though:

https://glorydayscollectibles.com/products/1958-leo-lewis-grey-cup-championship-game-worn-winnipeg-blue-bombers-jersey-loa

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

Since we're talking memorabilia, here's a jersey that claims to be a game worn Leo Lewis 1958 Grey Cup game jersey. There's a letter of authentication but it means nothing, just says that the jersey looks like one Lewis wore at the time. There is no provenance outlining the chain of ownership etc so I'd be wary. I think it was for sale, or one like it, couple years ago for around the same asking price. Looks cool though:

https://glorydayscollectibles.com/products/1958-leo-lewis-grey-cup-championship-game-worn-winnipeg-blue-bombers-jersey-loa

Certainly looks real. Man, have styles & tastes changed.

40 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Keep checking this thread for Bomber free agent signings and see nothing but jersey talk. 

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

You know what would be great, a vintage Kenny Ploen or Leo Lewis jersey.

My last one was a Westerman jersey. I want to get a Demski jersey but just haven't pulled the trigger. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I wouldn’t mind a throw back to these uniforms. Better than the current alternates 

wish we would go back to the style we used that game Milt broke one the receiving records in Toronto...Those deep blue ones were slick

1 hour ago, Booch said:

wish we would go back to the style we used that game Milt broke one the receiving records in Toronto...Those deep blue ones were slick

Those were nice too, kind of looked like college unis but I like them a lot better than our 3rds now. I’d even be happy to see the khari lightning bolt uniform have a come back for a game or two. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I have a Khari in that retro.... he never played in that jersey, but I didn't have a Khari at the time those kits were released, so I thought I'd get one. As much as I love our current Home and Away's, that throwback was a fun alternate....