Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

Just now, Mike said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a rotation where Kramdi would take the majority of the blitzing / line of scrimmage stuff and Ford could see the coverage calls from the SAM spot

I think Kramdi is a pretty good disruptor at the line and in the second level. He whiffed a few, but he made good reads to get to the right spot to stop the run more often than I saw him not … I like both guys at that spot for very different reasons.

Also not opposed to Ford at the field side corner but we’re already pencilling in 8 Canadians so how many more do we really need 

he gets to dance late tho...thats my issue...and still not sold on his tackling...and dont see it improving...Thank god he biffed on Rhymes last yr....Ford will get there sooner to actually disrupt a play...or minimize it as opposed to helping slow it down

I'd like to actually see us only declare 1 National on defence anyway....so we can freely swap out DT with an import, with a Nat in at SAM or vice versa...we started more than required last yr, but rarely utilized it to any rotation advantage...so whats the point....tho how we had our roster, and PR set up we had nothing in the cupboard to take advantage of it with anyway...especially with a spot being wasted for a pointless fullback, and one who made no impact on ST's

Maybe Krammer can change my mind and show exceptional traits as opposed to adequate at best...but not holding my breath there

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Walters says Rose, Bailey and Gray will not be back 

he holding a presser or u guys out at a romantic lunch date??...lol

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Figured as much. Was hoping Gray would stick around. Wonder where Sheed ends up.

MTL or Hamilton...slight chance Ott but they seem to have what they need there SMS wie...though I would dump Acklan for Sheed if I was the GM there...just the guy they need to pull it all together

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have such a hard time posting the actual tweet things but here’s the text, sorry: 

Walters says guys they’ve moved on from CB Winston Rose, WR Rasheed Bailey and LG Geoff Gray. 
Expects that Ford & Tyrique McGhee will be in the mix at corner this season. 
#Bombers

from @DTonOB

So we still don't have a legit RT??? I had hoped Gray could possibly fill that role.....And gonna suck not having Sheed.

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ed Tait just posted that Kyle Walters has confirmed Tyrell Ford is back this year 

Hell yeah. 

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a rotation where Kramdi would take the majority of the blitzing / line of scrimmage stuff and Ford could see the coverage calls from the SAM spot

I think Kramdi is a pretty good disruptor at the line and in the second level. He whiffed a few, but he made good reads to get to the right spot to stop the run more often than I saw him not … I like both guys at that spot for very different reasons.

Also not opposed to Ford at the field side corner but we’re already pencilling in 8 Canadians so how many more do we really need 

That’s ideal imo. Kramdi can be a package guy, and general back up, ford the starter. Lets us flex soo many different ways. 
 The two high look can be done with Kramdi now instead of a hallett. Which lets us do more with split field zone, or use a small package to run gap cancel, or blitz from small packages. 
 Like we could go cheetah front, with all import dl, take the wil off, put in an extra saftey, and be able to defend any thing short of a heavy package. We could send one guy with the dl and instead of biggie getting eaten up by an ol we could send a db off the edge while the ol struggles to block 4 guys pass rushing in the front. 

The upside with Kramdi kind of reminds me of singletary/the ss’s of the 46 bears era. there to make plays and like you said disrupt, forcing the offense not to go deep. Create pressure inside the tackle box and back field. Limit the offences ability to stretch sideline to sideline. The best Sam’s these days are generally bigger and play like that.   

7 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

So we still don't have a legit RT??? I had hoped Gray could possibly fill that role.....And gonna suck not having Sheed.

Sounds like RT, WR, DT, DE and CB are all going to be camp battles as of right now 

RT I am especially not worried about, Neufeld has turned into a real stabilizer on that side of the line and I have a good amount of trust in our scouting to find a tackle who fits our scheme. They’ve shown to be very competent at it, we’ve supplied a decent amount of OL to the rest of the league AND they pro scouted Hardrick when he was still a pylon in Regina. Not a ton of concern there.

I think Gray is one I would have kept.  Draft isn't really there this year.  We don't have much depth there at all and will be changing 2 spots for sure.  Any injuries could quickly be a disaster.  We have two starters in mid to late 30s, another early 30s as well so injury risk is there.  We will need bodies.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think Gray is one I would have kept.  Draft isn't really there this year.  We don't have much depth there at all and will be changing 2 spots for sure.  Any injuries could quickly be a disaster.  We have two starters in mid to late 30s, another early 30s as well so injury risk is there.  We will need bodies.

I'm surprised nobody's signed him,,,still a possibility he lands back here?

45 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Wonder where Sheed ends up.

will he wind up anywhere? Is there any money left out there for him?

Maybe it'll be a storybook Clarence Denmark kinda thing where he comes back to us midseason as an injury replacement and tears it up. 

that would be a bummer because it means one of our battleship receivers is on the sidelines but man would I be pumped for a Sheed comeback in blue.

Edited by johnzo

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Hell yeah. 

That’s ideal imo. Kramdi can be a package guy, and general back up, ford the starter. Lets us flex soo many different ways. 
 The two high look can be done with Kramdi now instead of a hallett. Which lets us do more with split field zone, or use a small package to run gap cancel, or blitz from small packages. 
 Like we could go cheetah front, with all import dl, take the wil off, put in an extra saftey, and be able to defend any thing short of a heavy package. We could send one guy with the dl and instead of biggie getting eaten up by an ol we could send a db off the edge while the ol struggles to block 4 guys pass rushing in the front. 

The upside with Kramdi kind of reminds me of singletary/the ss’s of the 46 bears era. there to make plays and like you said disrupt, forcing the offense not to go deep. Create pressure inside the tackle box and back field. Limit the offences ability to stretch sideline to sideline. The best Sam’s these days are generally bigger and play like that.   

i also think if we actually utilize Ford and Kramdi to their strenghts...it allows BA to be a true safety, and thats a win right there...he will be 2 yrs removed from his injury...and I expect his all-star play to continue....plus we may have 2 new younger guys in secondary, so he will be key in keeping guys coached up

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sounds like RT, WR, DT, DE and CB are all going to be camp battles as of right now 

RT I am especially not worried about, Neufeld has turned into a real stabilizer on that side of the line and I have a good amount of trust in our scouting to find a tackle who fits our scheme. They’ve shown to be very competent at it, we’ve supplied a decent amount of OL to the rest of the league AND they pro scouted Hardrick when he was still a pylon in Regina. Not a ton of concern there.

I am all for true competition in those spots...and RT isn't an issue in my mind either...I think we will easily find comparable, if not more varied use of our RT this yr with who we are bringing in to challenge....We were pretty confined with what we did outside there last yr...No knock on Yosh but his mobility was not like 2..3 yrs ago, and I saw him trucked too many times last yr for my liking

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

O-line depth has gone from deep to shallow, I imagine Tui takes over from Gray and Dobson remains the 6th man.  More than one critical injury and they're down to using a CFL rookie to protect Zach.  I can see Walters addressing this situation later in FA with a cheap if not great pickup like he did with Jeff Keeping, MB. boy Landon Rice is available and is at the tail end of his career.

Edited by Fatty Liver

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nobody wanted Kolankowski and I bet most of the other teams would love to have him now. 

I’m  not worried about the OL.