2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Considering the internet has several public articles about Toronto hiring the first woman assistant strength coach for the team,  it was only a 2 second google search to find the answer. 

content_dana_beattie.jpeg

After seeing the pictures of her I would more then likely wager that a narcissist like Chad Kelly would hit on a very beautiful young lady.

I do agree @bluto  that innocent until proven guilty and that she could just be trying to play victim and screw the company and him out of money.  But if I were a betting man ,  I'd feel way more comfortable putting money on this being the truth.  

Considering the money she's asking for is not in anyway life changing. I have a hard time buying that she's only doing this for a quick payday.

30 minutes ago, bluto said:

Since you asked, yeah I think that since this is over $85k FFS, perhaps having a sitdown with the club and holding the big stick of a trial-by-media may have done away with this.

They are an Accuser. Learn the difference. 

She should have went to someone high up in the club to get this settled.....someone like....Murphy perhaps.

It's Canada, those big us style awards don't happen. 

Argos and Murphy come across looking like real trash in this situation.  Kelly is the least of the problem here. He was a ****** made a pass at a coworker and she felt uncomfortable.  So she complains and gets fired. How's that for a sit down Argo fans? This is the pg version of the reason hockey Canada is in a heap of ****.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Argos and Murphy come across looking like real trash in this situation.  Kelly is the least of the problem here. He was a ****** made a pass at a coworker and she felt uncomfortable.  So she complains and gets fired. How's that for a sit down Argo fans? This is the pg version of the reason hockey Canada is in a heap of ****.

I mean if we're to believe what's written in the article......he physically threatened her infront of others...he did more than make a pass.

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Well, this seemingly happened and they were told not to open that can of worms.

If the the lawsuit has been filed, they already tried to handle it quietly and the club refused.

If it comes out that they attempted to have a settlement (or even went to the effort of having a meeting about the possible suit) prior to phoning up Bell Media, then I happily retract my statement.

But if you think that the MLSE/Argos were offered an opportunity to rug-sweep this for the $85k "damages" as well as $50 more personally from Kelly that the Accuser claims they suffered and that they would turn it down, you're nuts.

Edited by bluto
double post

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

There could be some pretty big damages in a civil case like this in Canada.  Say judge finds that the Argos handling of this situation impairs her ability to be a S&C coach in pro sports.  That's what, 20 years of earnings she could be after?  That's a few million bucks.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There could be some pretty big damages in a civil case like this in Canada.  Say judge finds that the Argos handling of this situation impairs her ability to be a S&C coach in pro sports.  That's what, 20 years of earnings she could be after?  That's a few million bucks.

I'd thought that too.

Which is why it's a bit peculiar that the "damages" the Accuser seeks is $85k from the Argos and $50k from Kelly.

If she's asking for 85,000, doesn't she realize that's 50 years of gate receipts for the Argos? 

Seriously though, some of the comments here make me think that some of you have neither daughters, sisters or mothers.  Yeah, women go public with complaints like this because they just love all the attention that it creates for them...  Considering that by doing this, she's likely going to have almost zero chance of working in professional sports again (at least in the male side of things) I'd tend to think that rather than rushing to support Kelly or the team, a better response would be to demand that the team get to the bottom of this and if true, that several heads need to roll. 

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Complainants are not entitled to a presumption of truth. 

The system is actually in place to allow for presumption of innocence and places a burden of proof on the accuser. I agree that naming the alleged victim can lead to pre-judgment and shaming, but naming a potential accused does the same thing (as some of the comments here have already demonstrated). 

Not in a civil case re the burden of proof.  Criminal yes.  Civil complainints need to prove damages.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not in a civil case re the burden of proof.  Criminal yes.  Civil complainints need to prove damages.

The burden of proof in a civil case still rests with the complainant.  However the standard of proof needed goes from proof beyond a reasonable doubt to proof on the preponderance of evidence, so which side is more likely (sometimes described as 51%).  On top of that, yes, there must be damage to the complainant as well.

Maybe he did it when he had the "concussion" and didn't realize???

Fact is...multiple witnesses have corroborated several incidents.....Murphy has a track record for being a greaseball....Kelly has many documented incidents of being unhinged and not right....So all signs point to this being something that was handled poorly...attempted to be glossed over and swept under the radar/rug for team and player to save face....and obviously nothing was solved internally, or the Trainer was treated even more poorly

She is seeking lost pay it seems, and other damages related to it....and also not a huge amount by any means to make this a real big issue....and the media is just doing what media does....get a lead on a story...and they publish it

I can see if she went to media...made multiple statements and interviews on it...asking for bags of money....then it may be seen as a lil more sensationalized, but this seems far from the case.

Now.....bigger question is...if this is found and proven to be accurate...the threats of harm preceding having his desires for a relationship rejected...Murphy trying to make it seem it a non-issue, and his comments about wtf did you bring this up...eytc....should it be safe to assume good ship Argo immediately puts out a presser saying they don't condone this, and the 2 schmucks get sent packing...never to be seen in the CFL again??...I would think yes....correct me if I am wrong 

Just now, blue85gold said:

Presumption of innocent until proven guilty is for the courts. 

The rest of us are free to presume Kelly and Murphy are guilty POS

and history for both lead one to think the leopard hasn't changed it's spots

Kelly has had run ins with the law down south....Found wandering around in a friends house uninvited in the wee hours of the morning....The guy seems to have mental lapses, as in that case, he couldn't remember how he got there or why he was there....I don't know if he had one of those mental lapses in this latest harangue but that's up to the lawyers to determine....When you sign a player like Kelly you take on all of his previous baggage....argo's new that....Now you have to wait until the courts have their say and it is a cloud hanging over the club meanwhile....This is something that the argo's or the CFL needs....Send in the lawyers

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Interesting take.

Would it be harassing the Accuser if the club has a pile of performance reviews where they were graded as below standard? Had chronic lateness or absences? Had complaints from coworkers and players? If emails, texts and video exist of the Accuser being inappropriate with coworkers?

Nice for the Accuser to have their legal team lob this grenade with no accountability, before the season begins so that the club will need it dealt with quickly. And it doesn't hurt that the club had to cut a hush-hush settlement cheque once before.

If the club had this documentation we wouldn't be having the conversation, no lawyer would pursue this in court after being presented and verifying the veracity of the documents.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming the allegations are true, and I have no reason to believe they aren't, the Argos and Kelly should have simply paid what she is asking for and kept it quiet. 

My guess there were other conditions to the settlement that were not financial they they would not agree too.

If Kelly and Murphy are found guilty, I don't see how the CFL can allow them to be involved in the CFL any longer. Particularly Murphy who has made multiple issues for the CFL. Kelly....maaaybeee after a year suspension and multiple steps taken to correct his behaviour....but what that would look like I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If Kelly and Murphy are found guilty, I don't see how the CFL can allow them to be involved in the CFL any longer. Particularly Murphy who has made multiple issues for the CFL. Kelly....maaaybeee after a year suspension and multiple steps taken to correct his behaviour....but what that would look like I don't know.

I'll take the innocent until proven guilty mindset... in fairness to everyone involved... but if the accused was someone on the bottom of the roster, making near minimum... that player would be released already

1 hour ago, bluto said:

If it comes out that they attempted to have a settlement (or even went to the effort of having a meeting about the possible suit) prior to phoning up Bell Media, then I happily retract my statement.

But if you think that the MLSE/Argos were offered an opportunity to rug-sweep this for the $85k "damages" as well as $50 more personally from Kelly that the Accuser claims they suffered and that they would turn it down, you're nuts.

don't be an apologist. It's OK to admit your team employs known dirt bags. 

Like others have said this one has an air of truth to it (Murphy and Kelly's history, the fact there would be witnesses). A couple of the other key points are;

• the fact she had been in the position for a while. If the issue was with her, you would think something would have had to have been dealt with in the years prior
  • She is not asking for a great amount of money considering and not looking for a windfall
  • It also sounds as though she was a term position and the organization did not rehire, even though we can assume they did previous years. Argos probably thought the end of term and not renewing was an "out" to avoid, when it isn't

This is going to look bad for the league and the Argos if not dealt with appropriately ie. proper investigation of facts, appropriate consequences for actions or inactions no matter position and impacts

As we've noticed, it's not just the harassing act that is the concern, but the responses when reported, or lack thereof.

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Where do you imagine, in a Wrongful Dismissal suit that anybody will be "found guilty"?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Considering the internet has several public articles about Toronto hiring the first woman assistant strength coach for the team,  it was only a 2 second google search to find the answer. 

content_dana_beattie.jpeg

If she was my daughter I'd advise taking a job working intimately with 100 football players with no other women in sight was not a good idea, something was bound to happen, and it did.  For cripes sake, her contract only paid $25,000, she could have made more in any other situation.

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming the allegations are true, and I have no reason to believe they aren't, the Argos and Kelly should have simply paid what she is asking for and kept it quiet. 

Right??

Given the opportunity they almost certainly would have considering the small size of the suit. $140k is a speeding ticket to MLSE.

Makes me wonder if it was ever a consideration or if airing it out in the press was just always going to be the move by the Accuser's legal team.