2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The confidence with which some people post their ignorant opinions is staggering. 

He won't get $300k. 

He's making more than VAJ. 

From: https://3downnation.com/2024/01/24/qb-dru-brown-signs-two-year-contract-with-ottawa-redblacks/

Brown received a $137,500 signing bonus, part of his $286,000 in hard money for the 2024 season with playtime incentives giving him the chance to earn $340,000. In 2025, Brown is slated to earn $355,000 in hard money with incentives reaching $400,000.

Fact: $286K < $300K

From: https://3downnation.com/2023/04/17/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-quarterbacks-for-2023-season/

8) Vernon Adams Jr., B.C. Lions (A)

Hard money: $285,000
Maximum value: $350,000

The six-year veteran received a $115,000 signing bonus to ink a new deal with the Lions and will collect another $20,000 when he takes his first snap in 2023. He will also receive a $2,500 bonus each time he plays at least one percent of B.C.’s offensive snaps in each of the club’s regular season games.

Fact: $286K > $285K

Opinion: The redblacks overpaid him because they are a crap team that has to overpay to get the players they want just like we used to have to. 

Your confident ignorant guess as to how much Brown would get was better than my confident ignorant guess. Congratulations. Take a victory lap. You've finally earned one. :)

Edited by TBURGESS

50 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

From: https://3downnation.com/2024/01/24/qb-dru-brown-signs-two-year-contract-with-ottawa-redblacks/

Fact: $286K < $300K

From: https://3downnation.com/2023/04/17/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-quarterbacks-for-2023-season/

Fact: $286K > $285K

Opinion: The redblacks overpaid him because they are a crap team that has to overpay to get the players they want just like we used to have to. 

Your confident ignorant guess as to how much Brown would get was better than my confident ignorant guess. Congratulations. Take a victory lap. You've finally earned one. :)

Only problem with your little diatribe is that 3DN acknowledged that Dunk reported salary in that article was incorrect and retracted it.  Second thing wrong is that you are comparing 2023 Adams salary to 2024 Brown. Please provide us with Adams 2024 hard money before proclaiming that Brown is "making more" than Adams. Third, going solely off "hard money" is ridiculous. Lets just say for arguments sake that Adams reported contract in the article you referenced was correct, even though the math was horribly incorrect and Dunk acknowledged the reported amount was incorrect, that would mean he made 345,000 last year. Let's also assume for the sake of argument that he has the worst agent in history and never negotiated a raise for this year. That means that Vernon Adams contract is at minimum 50k more per year, and he made 45k more last year than what Dru Brown can possibly earn on his contract. Therefore, you saying that Brown is making more than Adams is grossly incorrect and not by 1k but by 50k in contract value. Third thing is that you can't possibly know if Brown is overpaid or not right now. No one can possibly say he was over or under paid at this point and time. If he tears it up this year he could very well be underpaid, just as VA was last year.

Edited by GCn20

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't want to to beat this to death too much longer, but I don't really understand how you consider it an overpay.

He will be either the lowest paid or in the lowest tier of being paid. How much lower than the next lowest paid starter can a team reasonably be expected to pay?

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't want to to beat this to death too much longer, but I don't really understand how you consider it an overpay.

He will be either the lowest paid or in the lowest tier of being paid. How much lower than the next lowest paid starter can a team reasonably be expected to pay?

I am not sure how it is an overpay either. No one can know if he is overpaid until he actually demonstrates that.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I am not sure how it is an overpay either. No one can know if he is overpaid until he actually demonstrates that.

Even if he's the worst starter in the league....that's how he's being paid.

He accepted the absolute minimum offer as far as I'm concerned. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Barriere looks to be the spittin' image of V.A., pocket passer with good mobility and a good arm, not much for rolling out or throwing on the run though, he likes to be planted.  He has the talent but whether he can learn to adjust his game or read the field at all remains to be seen, it only took V.A. 6 years to establish himself as a starter.

Two things I noticed

1 - The guy seemed to sling it effortlessly almost like he was flicking his wrist and the ball flew out 40 yards.  It appears that he has a really strong arm.

2 - I could never watch a full game being played on red turf.  That is so hard on the eyes.  

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Two things I noticed

1 - The guy seemed to sling it effortlessly almost like he was flicking his wrist and the ball flew out 40 yards.  It appears that he has a really strong arm.

2 - I could never watch a full game being played on red turf.  That is so hard on the eyes.  

He definitely has a very good arm...can run and looks to have a lot of potential...AND I agree about that red turf.....Ugly comes to mind but the kid looks great playing on it....Can't wait to see Barriere show his stuff on our green field

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Only problem with your little diatribe is that 3DN acknowledged that Dunk reported salary in that article was incorrect and retracted it.  Second thing wrong is that you are comparing 2023 Adams salary to 2024 Brown. Please provide us with Adams 2024 hard money before proclaiming that Brown is "making more" than Adams. Third, going solely off "hard money" is ridiculous. Lets just say for arguments sake that Adams reported contract in the article you referenced was correct, even though the math was horribly incorrect and Dunk acknowledged the reported amount was incorrect, that would mean he made 345,000 last year. Let's also assume for the sake of argument that he has the worst agent in history and never negotiated a raise for this year. That means that Vernon Adams contract is at minimum 50k more per year, and he made 45k more last year than what Dru Brown can possibly earn on his contract. Therefore, you saying that Brown is making more than Adams is grossly incorrect and not by 1k but by 50k in contract value. Third thing is that you can't possibly know if Brown is overpaid or not right now. No one can possibly say he was over or under paid at this point and time. If he tears it up this year he could very well be underpaid, just as VA was last year.

Please provide a link for the retraction & your new numbers. I haven't seen any of it. Until then, your argument is 'If I make up a bunch of numbers without sources then apply them to another made up number without sources... that proves you are wrong' 

As I stated in my 'diatribe', I don't know what Adams '24 salary is so I can only compare his '23 salary to Brown's '24.

You think that starting salaries for QB's has gone up significantly since last year? I don't. Looking at the article for the 15 highest paid QB's in 2023, #2 BLM, #3 Harris, #4 Masoli, & #5 Maier have all taken pay cuts. #6  Cornelius has been cut. #9 Arbuckle hasn't been re-signed. #14 Kelly got a huge payday because he proved that he earned it by taking the Argos to 16-2.

New Contracts this year: 

BLM: Hard 225K, Max 312K - https://www.tsn.ca/bo-levi-mitchell-restructures-contract-with-hamilton-tiger-cats-1.2058216 2023 - Hard 502K Max 520K

Masoli: Hard 326.2K, Max 508K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/08/six-figure-roster-bonus-deadline-looms-for-qb-jeremiah-masoli-ottawa-redblacks/ 2023 - Hard 425K Max 433K

Maier: Hard 339K, Max 381K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/11/stampeders-give-qb-jake-maier-six-figure-signing-bonus-in-exchange-for-salary-cap-space/ 2023 - Hard 405K Max 447K

Harris: Hard 473K, Max 500K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/15/riders-give-qb-trevor-harris-quarter-million-signing-bonus-for-salary-cap-space/ 2023 - Hard 500K Max 500K

I'd say that QB money has gone down or stayed the same this year. 

Adams vs Brown:

Adams started in the CFL 2016, has passed for 13K+ yards and run for 1400+ yards. Started 29 games. Signed by BC in 2023

Brown started in the CFL 2021, has passed for 1.4K+ yards and run for 110+ yards. Started 3 games. Signed by Ott in 2024.

You, and others think that means Brown should get about the same amount of money, cuz that's what starters make, but we don't even know if he will be the starter yet. 

Brown got a contract based on what they hope he can do, not on what he has done. I call that an overpay & yes, you can say a contract is an overpay if it doesn't match what the player has done. He'll get the money no matter if he turns out to be Arbukle-ish or Reilly-ish or somewhere in between. 

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Correct...lol....I keep mixing him up with my insurance company

Former big mouthed, arrogant & entitled Ottawa GM who Karma caught up to. I'll never forgive him mocking how bad the Bomber players were in the Expansion Draft. Asshat. 

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Wasn't his nickname "Big Tuna" when he played or am I mistaken?

I think Barriere has great upside, just not sure I would be comfortable with a raw rookie at number 2. However, if he wins the job he wins the job.

Yeah, that was him. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

My condolences to the Malveaux family. He was a pretty good ball player & won a Grey Cup with the Stamps in 2001. Just 47 years old. Probably still has a young family. As has been shown this week with Bruce Covernton & Malveaux, we never know when our time is finished on this earth. All of us should be happy for the opportunity to grow old. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Former big mouthed, arrogant & entitled Ottawa GM who Karma caught up to. I'll never forgive him mocking how bad the Bomber players were in the Expansion Draft. Asshat. 

Yeah, that was him. 

Forgot about the former Ottawa GM.....He definitely was lacking as a manager...Seem to come across as a know-it-all and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.....hence his departure...I apologize to Drew Desjarlis for mixing his name up with the long departed gm....I have to go stand in the corner now

19 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Please provide a link for the retraction & your new numbers. I haven't seen any of it. Until then, your argument is 'If I make up a bunch of numbers without sources then apply them to another made up number without sources... that proves you are wrong' 

As I stated in my 'diatribe', I don't know what Adams '24 salary is so I can only compare his '23 salary to Brown's '24.

You think that starting salaries for QB's has gone up significantly since last year? I don't. Looking at the article for the 15 highest paid QB's in 2023, #2 BLM, #3 Harris, #4 Masoli, & #5 Maier have all taken pay cuts. #6  Cornelius has been cut. #9 Arbuckle hasn't been re-signed. #14 Kelly got a huge payday because he proved that he earned it by taking the Argos to 16-2.

New Contracts this year: 

BLM: Hard 225K, Max 312K - https://www.tsn.ca/bo-levi-mitchell-restructures-contract-with-hamilton-tiger-cats-1.2058216 2023 - Hard 502K Max 520K

Masoli: Hard 326.2K, Max 508K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/08/six-figure-roster-bonus-deadline-looms-for-qb-jeremiah-masoli-ottawa-redblacks/ 2023 - Hard 425K Max 433K

Maier: Hard 339K, Max 381K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/11/stampeders-give-qb-jake-maier-six-figure-signing-bonus-in-exchange-for-salary-cap-space/ 2023 - Hard 405K Max 447K

Harris: Hard 473K, Max 500K - https://3downnation.com/2024/01/15/riders-give-qb-trevor-harris-quarter-million-signing-bonus-for-salary-cap-space/ 2023 - Hard 500K Max 500K

I'd say that QB money has gone down or stayed the same this year. 

Adams vs Brown:

Adams started in the CFL 2016, has passed for 13K+ yards and run for 1400+ yards. Started 29 games. Signed by BC in 2023

Brown started in the CFL 2021, has passed for 1.4K+ yards and run for 110+ yards. Started 3 games. Signed by Ott in 2024.

You, and others think that means Brown should get about the same amount of money, cuz that's what starters make, but we don't even know if he will be the starter yet. 

Brown got a contract based on what they hope he can do, not on what he has done. I call that an overpay & yes, you can say a contract is an overpay if it doesn't match what the player has done. He'll get the money no matter if he turns out to be Arbukle-ish or Reilly-ish or somewhere in between. 

LMAO,,,,every year you pick the stupidest hill to die on when you are proven wrong. Never change TB....never change.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Pfft, probably gave him a Hortons Card and a tote bag, called it a restructuring. 

Toronto and BC sign whoever they want anyway. “Cap space” lol 

That's about 5 veterans with significant contracts who have opted to re-structure this offseason. 

That's likely how we got Wynton McManis back for 2 more years.

(still some very big decisions to go)