2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's such a small league that you could argue middle of the pack is still on the high end.  AFAIK, MBT will be tied with Harris for 3rd highest paid QB (behind Collaros & Kelly). Don't recalling seeing any numbers for Fajardo's recent extension so he could be in there now as well. 

Kelly - Collaros: 600k range

Harris - MBT:  450-500k range

Maier - Masoli: 400-450k range

Adams - Fajardo: 350-425k range

Mitchell was at 500-520K but Hamilton now has an extra 300k to throw at Brown (or someone else).

Schoen...

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Schoen...

Just thinking about QB's.  BLM took a new deal for a reason - Hamilton is not wanting to roll with him or Schilz as their starter.  Throwing that money at Schoen won't help them.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What will it do? One less team Brown has to choose from. If anything, it's the Mitchell contract that has raised the bar for backup qbs. He's being paid $225,000 plus incentives. The price for backups has gone up. 

The price for average starters has gone up too with MBT making that much. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What will it do? One less team Brown has to choose from. If anything, it's the Mitchell contract that has raised the bar for backup qbs. He's being paid $225,000 plus incentives. The price for backups has gone up. 

Why do you think Mitchell signed as a backup?  It clearly looks like he's the intended starter with Powell as his backup.  Shiltz is going to receive a lot of attention in FA as one of the few experienced #2 QB's available, Arbuckle may prolong his career one more year by stepping into Dane Evans position as unwanted and unloved.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Cody is at his best in the scramble. Something Schoen is also very good at

Agree, we saw cf make good use of his guys last year at times, it wouldn’t be like a star wr going to edm for a payday, he’d still flourish. 

35 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Why do you think Mitchell signed as a backup?  It clearly looks like he's the intended starter with Powell as his backup.  Shiltz is going to receive a lot of attention in FA as one of the few experienced #2 QB's available, Arbuckle may prolong his career one more year by stepping into Dane Evans position as unwanted and unloved.

Because his deal is less than half of any #1 QBs make?  He took a big cut in hard money to keep off-season bonus.

Could still pull a Durant on them and join TSN.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Atlanta loves looking north for talent (Alford, Jamal Peters now Mack).  They've worked out/signed some guys in the past too (Kalinic, Lenius), and picked up the only Bison in the NFL (Onyemata) as a FA this year.

I was watching one of the NFL games yesterday and Darryl Moose Johnston was going on about his new affiliation with the merged USFL and XFL, the United Football League (still doomed to fail I'd wager).  He kept saying that "it was the only chance for guys to still play football and have a shot at getting into the NFL".  I don't get why most Americans, who are football fans and in the football industry, are so blind to the CFL.  It's just like the CFL doesn't even exist, despite the fact that so many CFL players do go to the NFL.  Just a bit of a Rodney Dangerfield thing going on here.  Why is the UFL any better than the CFL?

9 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was watching one of the NFL games yesterday and Darryl Moose Johnston was going on about his new affiliation with the merged USFL and XFL, the United Football League (still doomed to fail I'd wager).  He kept saying that "it was the only chance for guys to still play football and have a shot at getting into the NFL".  I don't get why most Americans, who are football fans and in the football industry, are so blind to the CFL.  It's just like the CFL doesn't even exist, despite the fact that so many CFL players do go to the NFL.  Just a bit of a Rodney Dangerfield thing going on here.  Why is the UFL any better than the CFL?

For some they're 'blind' to the CFL cuz they have no interest in relocating to the north and/or they're not good enough to play in this league.

14 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Daryl Peter "Moose" Johnston (born February 10, 1966) is an American former professional football player who is currently the Executive Vice President of football operations for the UFL. 

You were listening to an advertisement and nothing more.  It's not a surprise he's going to promote his brand and not give the competition a second of free air time.   I would do the same if I were in that position, since you're trying to attract the same talent, especially that higher end talent who could actually play in the NFL one day.

26 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He kept saying that "it was the only chance for guys to still play football and have a shot at getting into the NFL".  I don't get why most Americans, who are football fans and in the football industry, are so blind to the CFL.  It's just like the CFL doesn't even exist, despite the fact that so many CFL players do go to the NFL.

I don't think that Darryl Moose Johnson was striving to provide a thoughtful overview of non-NFL pro football in North America.  I think he was just doing his job and hyping his loop.

edit: so basically what jay said.

Edited by johnzo

43 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I don't think that Darryl Moose Johnson was striving to provide a thoughtful overview of non-NFL pro football in North America.  I think he was just doing his job and hyping his loop.

edit: so basically what jay said.

yeah I figured, but he was still bald-faced lying.

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm not complaining but if I were a Ti-Cats fan I'd be WTF.   The dude cannot stay healthy,  I'd much rather give Powell the shot and/or bring in Brown.  

Even when he’s healthy he isn’t a guy you can build around any more. Powell brown would be a monster camp competition. For sure you would get the most out of one of those guys. Cats are stuck in this only a move away from winning it all attitude. And they just aren’t.