2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Never stopped good old contrarian tburg before.

Not sure how CoFaj passes the eyeball test for him? Anyone could see that CoFaj was along for the ride most of the season in Montreal. If they have a Collaros or a Kelly they probably go 16-2 last year.

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Faj-JJ was 5th in passing yards and 5th in TD passes & he ran for 340 yards which is 2nd best among QB's last year. 

He's a middle of the league QB, not a QB who had 1 good game. I'd take him over Maier who had more throwing yards and TD's but also threw a **** ton of picks. 

5th is bottom teir. Especially when you factor in teams that had injuries at the position and had to use multiple players at the position throughout the year.

Maier vs. Fajardo is like debating which kind of **** you want.

53 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Faj-JJ was 5th in passing yards and 5th in TD passes & he ran for 340 yards which is 2nd best among QB's last year. 

He's a middle of the league QB, not a QB who had 1 good game. I'd take him over Maier who had more throwing yards and TD's but also threw a **** ton of picks. 

It's funny you think this proves your point

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's funny you think this proves your point

And it's funny that you think that it proves the one good game theory. 

As long as I'm curmudgeon'ing...

Folks want to believe that the Als couldn't beat us unless Faj-jj had a great game. He threw for under 300 yards, ran for 18 & threw a pick. That's a good, not great game. 

Folks want to believe that it was our mistakes, not great defensive plays that lost us the game. Frankly, the pick in the endzone was a terrific defensive play and punching the ball out for the fumble was too. 

IMO it was MOS starting players who shouldn't have been on the field that cost us the GC coupled with Montreal out playing us on the day.  

35 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The primary point here is:

You can win with a lesser talent at the QB position. From that POV, the Als didn't make a mistake signing Fajardo

Sure, they could do better at that position - but mission accomplished for 2023

I think they did the best they could last fa period. If I was them id be kicking down the door on guys like brown and elite blue chip us prospect QBs. They could have a dynasty if they strike gold at qb. 
 How many QBs in the league would the ALs have lost with I wonder. I think legit they would’ve lost with Harris. Vaj is a coin toss to throw 4 tds or turn it over 5 times. Would they have lost with ford at qb? Idk that’s tough imo. Masoli, Kelly, brown, collaros, I think they all win with. They did a great job of putting them self in the best position to win with out a dominant culture or qb. Hats off to them. 

44 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

And it's funny that you think that it proves the one good game theory. 

As long as I'm curmudgeon'ing...

Folks want to believe that the Als couldn't beat us unless Faj-jj had a great game. He threw for under 300 yards, ran for 18 & threw a pick. That's a good, not great game. 

Folks want to believe that it was our mistakes, not great defensive plays that lost us the game. Frankly, the pick in the endzone was a terrific defensive play and punching the ball out for the fumble was too. 

IMO it was MOS starting players who shouldn't have been on the field that cost us the GC coupled with Montreal out playing us on the day.  

I never said he only played one good game. I've also never said he played poorly in the GC. I HAVE said that the last TD pass he made was a great throw.

I laugh at the notion that a team can't go on a win streak without good qb play. Which is something you stated earlier. MTL with basically any other qb on their team is pushing TO for 1st place. Yes even Maier (who I believe was let down more by play calling/offense design than his talent). 

Faj was anywhere from pure trash to barely a game manager all year. He definitely showed up in the GC, but again he took what the Bombers D gave him and Hall never adjusted.

Out of all the QBs that finished the year starting....Faj is #8 of 9.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The one good game idea is ridiculous. The Als won 7 straight games to win the cup. The longest winning streak in the league last year. You don't do that with a QB who only has one good game. 

It was mostly a defensive thing and not turning the ball over.  The game he had in the Grey Cup was above any game he had during the regular season or in the playoff game. Call it what you want to call it. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I never said he only played one good game. I've also never said he played poorly in the GC. I HAVE said that the last TD pass he made was a great throw.

I laugh at the notion that a team can't go on a win streak without good qb play. Which is something you stated earlier. MTL with basically any other qb on their team is pushing TO for 1st place. Yes even Maier (who I believe was let down more by play calling/offense design than his talent). 

Faj was anywhere from pure trash to barely a game manager all year. He definitely showed up in the GC, but again he took what the Bombers D gave him and Hall never adjusted.

Faj was the #4 QB IMO behind Adams, Collaros, & Kelly. 

I laugh at the idea that a team can win 7 straight games with the #8 or #9 QB at the helm.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Imo he's an average professional CFL QB who thinks he's better than he actually is based on what I hear him say. 

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Imo he's an average professional CFL QB who thinks he's better than he actually is based on what I hear him say. 

and average is being generous..... but the rest is spot on. He's so full of himself, it's really incredible. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Faj was the #4 QB IMO behind Adams, Collaros, & Kelly. 

I laugh at the idea that a team can win 7 straight games with the #8 or #9 QB at the helm.

I mean you can go back and forth on maier cs. Faj if you want, but really those are the 5 qbs who took the bulk of the snaps for their teams... if he was healthy Trevor Harris easily outperforms fajardo. So already he's dropping to 5/6. Being a better qb than  the likes of Taylor Cornelius doesn't impress overly much. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I mean you can go back and forth on maier cs. Faj if you want, but really those are the 5 qbs who took the bulk of the snaps for their teams... if he was healthy Trevor Harris easily outperforms fajardo. So already he's dropping to 5/6. Being a better qb than  the likes of Taylor Cornelius doesn't impress overly much. 

Which just proves that it's a team game

Even with a healthy Trevor Harris, the Riders probably don't make the playoffs, much less win the GC. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Dane Evans has the tools to be a top 5 CFL QB, if he could get over the mental hurdles of crumbling under pressure.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

It can happen.   

Say whatever we will about Bishop's deficiencies as a frontline QB, nobody would ever argue that some of his traits (arm strength, physicality, speed) weren't elite.

Cody on the other hand, has a smattering of skills and attributes which (imo) are in the D+ to B- range. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Say whatever we will about Bishop's deficiencies as a frontline QB, nobody would ever argue that some of his traits (arm strength, physicality, speed) weren't elite.

Cody on the other hand, has a smattering of skills and attributes which (imo) are in the D+ to B- range. 

Cody is capable of getting hot once in a blue moon. He is highly inconsistent, easily mentally shaken, and cannot make every throw on the field. He does play hard, I'll give him that much. Michael Bishop had a rocket for an arm, absolutely elite. His problem was that he had a 2 cent brain. The guy had all the physical attributes to make an elite QB.

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wouldn't even say Fajardo got hot.  I'd say the Bombers defensive scheme was completely brutal in terms of blitzing and use of Cover 0/1 looks vs a QB that is so inaccurate.  We gave his receivers a chance to make plays.

There was also the issue of lacking depth and having to move guys around when Houston got hurt and later playing Houston at less than 100%. 

MTL played great when needed....we didnt.....and we got out coached....and we also hamstrung ourselves with poor roster moves.....thats why we lost...plain and simple...we will be back, and hopefully now after 2 yrs of failure, and a few common themes that contributed to the losses....our coaching staff has learned and figured out a few of the flaws...if not...I expect the same kind of disappointments even after another good yr

14 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Michael Bishop had a rocket for an arm, absolutely elite. His problem was that he had a 2 cent brain. The guy had all the physical attributes to make an elite QB.

I recall that as well.  He was actually quite effective throwing downfield, if you let him roll out and ad lib.  But he could not execute the called / scripted plays.