2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, coach17 said:

There is not a lot of money to be made running a Junior team in Canada, in fact most are losing propositions. While some junior coaches do get paid an honorarium this is not the main occupation for them and they require another job or career just to make ends meet. I would guess that even an assistant CFL coaches position would earn significantly more pay. I could see Harris pursuing that if there indeed was an opportunity.

Yeah, just odd that he would commit to them, a year out, then bail on them before even starting. His life, of course.

50 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, just odd that he would commit to them, a year out, then bail on them before even starting. His life, of course.

this is all I'm saying.......

.... though not the first time, AH33 would make an odd decision. Also, maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought Harris wasn't just coaching with the Nanaimo team, but was part of the ownership group, and was going to be President/HC. But it's been a minute since I read about that whole situation, so who knows if maybe something changed. 

Also, in other CFL news....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

this is all I'm saying.......

.... though not the first time, AH33 would make an odd decision. Also, maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought Harris wasn't just coaching with the Nanaimo team, but was part of the ownership group, and was going to be President/HC. But it's been a minute since I read about that whole situation, so who knows if maybe something changed. 

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2023/02/12/cfl-star-andrew-harris-returning-to-his-roots-as-vi-raiders-head-of-operations/

CFL star Andrew Harris returning to his roots as VI Raiders head of operations
Feb 12, 2023 | 8:40 AM
 Share on Facebook
 Share on Twitter
 Copy Link

NANAIMO — A former Vancouver Island Raider turned CFL standout is coming back to the team as their new head of football operations.

Effective immediately, four-time Grey Cup champion Andrew Harris is the new head of football operations for the VI Raiders, and will be the head coach for the 2024 season.

Harris played for the Raiders for five years right out of high school, bringing the team to three national Canadian Junior Football Championships (2006, 2008, and 2009), as well as breaking a number of B.C. conference and Canadian Junior Football league (CJFL) records.

“I want to take this passion that I have for the sport and build something great for these young up-and-coming players and of course win some championships”.

Harris said his five years in Nanaimo as a young player were pivotal in his training and football career.

He’s signed to a five-year contract with the Raiders, and will oversee all football operations and decisions. He’ll move into the head coaching role in 2024, with the team opting to hire an interim coach for this season after Curtis Vizza stepped down.

President of the VIU Raiders Kabel Atwall said Harris will be a great ambassador for the team.

“He will have a great rapport with players, coaches, recruits, and board members and our treasured fans.”

On the same day of this announcement, Harris signed a one-year contract extension with the Toronto Argonauts. Harris, 35, was slated to become a free agent on Tuesday.

This will be a huge boost for the Raiders, who have suffered a number of unfortunate setbacks in the last few years.

In September 2021, about $15,000 worth of equipment was stolen from their changing rooms at Comox Gyro Park.

Then in the summer 2022, a fire badly damaged their practice facility, followed by a break-in and theft of $50,000 worth of equipment in the fall.

Harris, his partner Danica and family plan to make Nanaimo their home.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Are wombats friendly?

Are wombats friendly? - Quora

Unfortunately, not really. Baby wombats live up to their cuddly reputation, but once a wombat has grown up it becomes a solitary animal that just wants to be left alone. Communication between wombats is often threatening or aggressive and they only rarely seek out humans.

I hate the offseason but playing the "guess which MBB posters are secretly wombats" game will be an okay way to pass the time I guess.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, coach17 said:

There is not a lot of money to be made running a Junior team in Canada, in fact most are losing propositions. While some junior coaches do get paid an honorarium this is not the main occupation for them and they require another job or career just to make ends meet. I would guess that even an assistant CFL coaches position would earn significantly more pay. I could see Harris pursuing that if there indeed was an opportunity.

Maybe Harris was thinking he would use the Raiders job as a stepping stone to a professional career and didn't expect to have any pro coaching opportunities come his way this quickly.  I believe he still has a number of businesses that provide semi-passive income, so the Jr. coaching job would have been a part time gig. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Guys, it’s Michael Ball. I wouldn’t even bother speculating over it. He’s going to the VI Raiders. 

not that it's any better, but just for the record, it wasn't Ball that said it... it was Madani on Ball's "Sports Cage" show. 

also: 

5 hours ago, coach17 said:

maybe that's the career Harris wants. To be in CFL management do why not get a start running a junior team? I think he wants to work with young players. 

On 2023-12-16 at 11:00 AM, Stickem said:

Pobably run into Andrew as I call Nanaimo home now....in fact I live just up the road from their practice facility...Now if the bs story about him going to saskabush is true....it'll be SEE YA.....That would be a mistake of great proportions...on his part....I think Ball has it all 'balled' up ...but we'll see

Apparently, Andrew is not the only former Argo going to the Riders. Over at Riderfans, they are quite confident that pretty much every Argo FA is coming over there to follow Mace. Yea....you know because players love going to losing teams...lol.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Apparently, Andrew is not the only former Argo going to the Riders. Over at Riderfans, they are quite confident that pretty much every Argo FA is coming over there to follow Mace. Yea....you know because players love going to losing teams...lol.

They always think that all premium fas will want to go to them lol. 
 Shivers is a good get for edm. I wonder if that’s painting on the wall for jones. He usually runs his own d. Doesn’t usually have legit future hc candidates at co. 

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They're probably  a good bet to land a couple of guys. Toronto will probably lose a few guys to FA and I can see a lot of player turn over in Sask that frees up cap space so they can be the highest bidder. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Shivers is a good get for edm. I wonder if that’s painting on the wall for jones. He usually runs his own d. Doesn’t usually have legit future hc candidates at co. 

I would imagine it`s more about load management at this point. Jones needs to have a banner year in the GM and HC department or he is toast.

Just now, Jesse said:

They're probably  a good bet to land a couple of guys. Toronto will probably lose a few guys to FA and I can see a lot of player turn over in Sask that frees up cap space so they can be the highest bidder. 

I`m sure they will land a couple. Just not to the extent that they think. For some reason, they believe that the entire TO OL is coming over along with about half the defence.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Shivers is a Jones disciple though is he not? So it's just bringing in one of his own.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Shivers is a Jones disciple though is he not? So it's just bringing in one of his own.

He was certainly one of the biggest jones guys, though they’ve been a part since jones first left the riders. But he wasn’t a rival or hc candidate at that point.