2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

3 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I think the front office cap should have an adjustment specifically for longevity. As must as the Naturalized Canadian Rule is confusing it provides an incentive for staying with the same time longer, the same should happen for staff that stay with teams for a long period of time.

Maybe a 10% (up to 50%) reduction on the salary cap impact for every year they are there after 2 or 3 years. So, someone like MOS, is only costing us half against cap. 

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

Maybe a 10% (up to 50%) reduction on the salary cap impact for every year they are there after 2 or 3 years. So, someone like MOS, is only costing us half against cap. 

I'm not sure the format but possibly even an allowance for certain % increase for increases after the first 3 years. 5% /year for the next three, 7.5% for years 7 to 9 or some other sort of escalator.

I have just taken a look at the latest dung, turd down is serving up....My gawd I have never seen so much arse kissin' of the rider brand and fan base, in a very long time.... Apparently Corey Mace is the second coming and awaiting his crown from King Charles any day now....He has been endorsed by everyone in the league 'apparently' and he'll definitely be taking his greatness to the Cup next year......Geez the articles over there are getting sickening and the pandering is way over the top...Maybe it's because it's offseason and they have nothing else to fill their pages with except this drivel...We never got this much ink even with our two Cups in a row wins....Till the guy actually wins something as a headcoach it's all just so much ballywho and bull$hit

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I have just taken a look at the latest dung, turd down is serving up....My gawd I have never seen so much arse kissin' of the rider brand and fan base, in a very long time.... Apparently Corey Mace is the second coming and awaiting his crown from King Charles any day now....He has been endorsed by everyone in the league 'apparently' and he'll definitely be taking his greatness to the Cup next year......Geez the articles over there are getting sickening and the pandering is way over the top...Maybe it's because it's offseason and they have nothing else to fill their pages with except this drivel...We never got this much ink even with our two Cups in a row wins....Till the guy actually wins something as a headcoach it's all just so much ballywho and bull$hit

CFL media needs to give hope to all fan bases in the offseason for the health of the league. You won't find too much honest assessment in the offseason. Season tix sales are down by 35% over last year in Rider land. I hate the Riders but that's not good for the CFL.

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

Seems to me with exceptionally high expectations, it’s much easier to be disappointed. 

20 hours ago, Stickem said:

I love it. Rider fans think they just won a lottery or something, and that Mace will wave his magic wand and suddenly the locker room of poor talent and malcontents he inherited will be all stars and championship caliber just through his presence. They are completely disregarding the reality that for Mace to have any kind of hope of success he needs to be able to rebuild the roster for a couple years. Nope, every FA will all of a sudden fall in love with the dung heap that is Regina because Mace is there, and magically they will be able to shop for every position in FA and turn it around next year because that's how dynasties are built you know....FA. 

Edited by GCn20

20 hours ago, Stickem said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when 3dn is the best CFL coverage in the country.

4 of their biggest contributing writers are shameless homers for Hamilton and the Riders. 

One Bomber guy on the site and it’s “I’m nOt A bOmBeR fAn, I’m A cFL fAn” John Hodge. 

Too bad his brother doesn’t write for them, better football knowledge and far less self-promotion. 

53 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I love it. Rider fans think they just won a lottery or something, and that Mace will wave his magic wand and suddenly the locker room of poor talent and malcontents he inherited will be all stars and championship caliber just through his presence. They are completely disregarding the reality that for Mace to have any kind of hope of success he needs to be able to rebuild the roster for a couple years. Nope, every FA will all of a sudden fall in love with the dung heap that is Regina because Mace is there, and magically they will be able to shop for every position in FA and turn it around next year because that's how dynasties are built you know....FA. 

I think they're just excited for the prospect of change. Mace should be worlds better than Dickenson and, depending on the staff he can bring in, might bring them some decent year 1 results.

It will of course take a few seasons of successful drafting/scouting to make a real difference, but I'd be excited if I was in their place.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I think they're just excited for the prospect of change. Mace should be worlds better than Dickenson and, depending on the staff he can bring in, might bring them some decent year 1 results.

It will of course take a few seasons of successful drafting/scouting to make a real difference, but I'd be excited if I was in their place.

I wouldn't. Their commitment to Harris is a massive mistake right off the bat.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I wouldn't. Their commitment to Harris is a massive mistake right off the bat.

I remember being happy about Drew Willy, lol.

Harris was a huge get for them last year. Yes they need to plan for the future, but he was a great scrap heap find.

Just now, Jesse said:

I remember being happy about Drew Willy, lol.

Harris was a huge get for them last year. Yes they need to plan for the future, but he was a great scrap heap find.

I just don't see him surviving for more than a few games. He is soft as butter.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I just don't see him surviving for more than a few games. He is soft as butter.

Totally possible. But his health was pretty good prior to last year, iirc. 

Unfortunately this isn't the NFL where you can use a first round pick on a QB and him develop with your coach. You need a vet to help you or you'll never be able to find the earlyish success you need. Harris can be good enough if they can find the next guy. But again, that's the hard part. 

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Totally possible. But his health was pretty good prior to last year, iirc. 

Unfortunately this isn't the NFL where you can use a first round pick on a QB and him develop with your coach. You need a vet to help you or you'll never be able to find the earlyish success you need. Harris can be good enough if they can find the next guy. But again, that's the hard part. 

There are young guys on the market this year. Instead they are running it back with a 40 year old QB coming off a very serious knee injury that has already shown tendencies of being extremely gun shy over the past few years. If they were contending I could see the risk taking with Harris, but they are so very clearly in a complete tear down and rebuild why on earth bring back the 525k QB who is more than likely done.

When they signed Harris last year most of this forum suggested it was a high risk move. However, they were the ugly girl at closing time and there really was nothing on the market.  This year they have a chance to get a QB of the future and are running it back.  My objection isn't so much to re-signing Harris as it is to where they are at as a franchise and re-signing Harris. Makes no sense to me. The guy offers absolutely nothing beyond this year, and has a very high probability that even this year is a bust.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

There are young guys on the market this year. Instead they are running it back with a 40 year old QB coming off a very serious knee injury that has already shown tendencies of being extremely gun shy over the past few years. If they were contending I could see the risk taking with Harris, but they are so very clearly in a complete tear down and rebuild why on earth bring back the 525k QB who is more than likely done.

Still a long way to FA.

I fully think you can't tear everything down and put a young guy in at QB and expect him to experience any success. Harris is the guy you want taking licks while you get everything else in place. You need to get the next guy in the building, but I don't want him starting right now.

That said, O'Day is the worst and can be counted on not to do the right thing. I'm just speaking about what I would try to do.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When they signed Harris last year most of this forum suggested it was a high risk move. That needle has only gotten closer to red lining. My objection isn't so much to re-signing Harris as it is to where they are at as a franchise and re-signing Harris. Makes no sense to me. The guy offers absolutely nothing beyond this year, and has a very high probability that even this year is a bust.

Yup they need to be building for the future...and Harris isnt that, so not developing a guy now, or going after someone else just further delays their ascent out of the dumpster

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Still a long way to FA.

I fully think you can't tear everything down and put a young guy in at QB and expect him to experience any success. Harris is the guy you want taking licks while you get everything else in place. You need to get the next guy in the building, but I don't want him starting right now.

That said, O'Day is the worst and can be counted on not to do the right thing. I'm just speaking about what I would try to do.

IF O'Day had half a noodle for a brain, he would turf Harris and his anchor of a 525k contract. Sign Brown for 300-350k, use the saving to actually have an OL and give his new QB a chance of success. We know it won't happen, but that is the smart play over keeping Harris, having a crap OL again, and wondering what went wrong.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup they need to be building for the future...and Harris isnt that, so not developing a guy now, or going after someone else just further delays their ascent out of the dumpster

If we are running it back with Collaros when he is 38 and clearly shot I hope our GM is fired. Just saying. Not a double standard just because it is the Riders. I think Zac has a couple really good years left in the tank but even now we need to be doing all we can to make sure we have his replacement ready to go in 2026 or sooner IF the wheels fall off before that. We are likely entering rebuild right around that time too.

Edited by GCn20