2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 hours ago, Blue In BC said:

A few draft choices may go back for their last year in college. A few will start the season on PR as development players.  It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of the 2024 draft choices actually make the AR. We've lost a few Canadians that spent most of 2023 on the AR, so there are some open spots.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a few Canadian depth players not make the roster in any form. So we'll see how our selections go.

Previously I suggested that we might try and trade up since we have 10 selections this year.  As an example, would we trade our # 8 & # 17 or # 20 for a top 5 draft pick?  Just spit balling.

I’d be good with moving up. If I can’t tho I’d prob consider taking a flyer on a guy or 2 who we may not see for a couple of years.  With all the picks we got, this might be the year to do that eventho we normally don’t 

Edited by Goalie

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Except that hasn’t happened the last couple of drafts. 
 Picking our type of guy is great, as long as they are an actual viable contributor at a position and not sts guy who doesn’t have the potential or ability to play a position. 

I hope we dont pick "our kind of guy".....code for a plugger who will never be seen as a starter calibre let alone viable back up for the most part....and I mean picks 3 thru whatever....not in general before all the dbags start to chime n

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m pretty sure Walters could blindfold himself and throw darts at a John Hodge mock draft and end up with a better player than Tanner freakin Schmekel

but...but...practices hard...puts in the work....as per Osh...well wtf?!?...any player who isnt should be kiked to the curb 

4 hours ago, Blue In BC said:

A few draft choices may go back for their last year in college. A few will start the season on PR as development players.  It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of the 2024 draft choices actually make the AR. We've lost a few Canadians that spent most of 2023 on the AR, so there are some open spots.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a few Canadian depth players not make the roster in any form. So we'll see how our selections go.

Previously I suggested that we might try and trade up since we have 10 selections this year.  As an example, would we trade our # 8 & # 17 or # 20 for a top 5 draft pick?  Just spit balling.

Trading up or futures picks will definitely have to happen. We can't draft 10 guys and have any realistic shot at of having spots available for them so either trade for better quality or take some guys that won't be in camp this year.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I hope we dont pick "our kind of guy".....code for a plugger who will never be seen as a starter calibre let alone viable back up for the most part....and I mean picks 3 thru whatever....not in general before all the dbags start to chime n

but...but...practices hard...puts in the work....as per Osh...well wtf?!?...any player who isnt should be kiked to the curb 

Wasn't Osh who made any comment about how we will draft. It was Walters. He stated that "our kind of guy" is one that is physical, tough, and loves to play the game. I see nothing wrong with any of that being a prerequisite for any of our draft picks. If you want to attribute it to Osh, and move the goal posts on what was said have at it though, I don't see Walters as a guy who is leaving talent on the board at the draft. Yea, he had a rough draft last year but so did every other GM. It was an awful draft year.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Winnipeg is also happy that BC lost out on the bidding for BO's services. I guess this is a win win....actually nope...the Lions lost and are apparently giddy about it.

Edited by GCn20

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is it still driving up the price when he signed here for much less than what they offered? Maybe to an extent but he was still in line for a big bump. I guess we'll never know what he could have signed for if not for teams like the Lions.

Also way to pat yourselves on the back guys. You made the 2nd highest contract offer (Hamilton offered more per year - $275k vs BC's 250ish) so if anyone was driving up the price, it was the Ticats.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Is it still driving up the price when he signed here for much less than what they offered? Maybe to an extent but he was still in line for a big bump. I guess we'll never know what he could have signed for if not for teams like the Lions.

Also way to pat yourselves on the back guys. You made the 2nd highest contract offer (Hamilton offered more per year - $275k vs BC's 250ish) so if anyone was driving up the price, it was the Ticats.

Always 2nd best. Sorry Lions. Womp, womp. 

56 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Wasn't Osh who made any comment about how we will draft. It was Walters. He stated that "our kind of guy" is one that is physical, tough, and loves to play the game. I see nothing wrong with any of that being a prerequisite for any of our draft picks. If you want to attribute it to Osh, and move the goal posts on what was said have at it though, I don't see Walters as a guy who is leaving talent on the board at the draft. Yea, he had a rough draft last year but so did every other GM. It was an awful draft year.

Winnipeg is also happy that BC lost out on the bidding for BO's services. I guess this is a win win....actually nope...the Lions lost and are apparently giddy about it.

I know it was Walter's and that draft strategy of late has not served us well...Did I say anything about Oshea?...no i didnt....so dont put words in people's mouths...but on the flip side many others as well as you also say Osh isnt soleyrepsonsible for the complaints about poor roster and Practice roster Management, and that it's partly the GM who is brubging in the talent...so you cant nit pick both ways either...I also know for a fact Osh is highly involved in the personell they pick via the draft....rgardless...the strategy of past several yrs of picking guys who dont amoubt to anything but spevial teams usage is flawed...pick the best talent thats left and maybe yu get a guy who actually pushes for a job

I love doman/ringmaiden and I’m really happy to see the cfl in bc making a come back. But damn they got some whiners between the franchise and media. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I know it was Walter's and that draft strategy of late has not served us well...Did I say anything about Oshea?...no i didnt....so dont put words in people's mouths...but on the flip side many others as well as you also say Osh isnt soleyrepsonsible for the complaints about poor roster and Practice roster Management, and that it's partly the GM who is brubging in the talent...so you cant nit pick both ways either...I also know for a fact Osh is highly involved in the personell they pick via the draft....rgardless...the strategy of past several yrs of picking guys who dont amoubt to anything but spevial teams usage is flawed...pick the best talent thats left and maybe yu get a guy who actually pushes for a job

I have no idea of the nature of their partnership on the draft, free agency etc. but I’m sure both had a say, and were probably reasonably happy with the hauls on draft day. And I’m sure both would love to have a better couple of drafts in retrospect. But I do get drafting for need on a dynasty with limited picks in low quality drafts. 
 I don’t believe any one would be making ego picks disregarding what the rest of the brain trust thinks. 
 I’m also sure we will be looking to restock the cupboards and pick high upside guys. This is a too heavy draft and we have lots of picks.

Weve made a lot of hard moves this off season that scream of an end to the old boys club. The drafts will be a big litmus test for camp and the season. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

ove doman/ringmaiden and I’m really happy to see the cfl in bc making a come back. But damn they got some whiners between the franchise and media

They're just jealous. They get all the hype every year past couple seasons only to have the Bombers punk them in the games that matter.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

"As per Osh" were your words, not me putting words in your mouth but I agree that Walters has been part of our poor roster management equation as well.  I agree to pick the best player available, and I am not entirely convinced looking around the league that they didn't. This year is supposedly a deep draft, if all they come out of it with is teamers we will know whether they purposely picked teamer type guys or that's all that was really available when they picked.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I love doman/ringmaiden and I’m really happy to see the cfl in bc making a come back. But damn they got some whiners between the franchise and media. 

I have no idea of the nature of their partnership on the draft, free agency etc. but I’m sure both had a say, and were probably reasonably happy with the hauls on draft day. And I’m sure both would love to have a better couple of drafts in retrospect. But I do get drafting for need on a dynasty with limited picks in low quality drafts. 
 I don’t believe any one would be making ego picks disregarding what the rest of the brain trust thinks. 
 I’m also sure we will be looking to restock the cupboards and pick high upside guys. This is a too heavy draft and we have lots of picks.

Weve made a lot of hard moves this off season that scream of an end to the old boys club. The drafts will be a big litmus test for camp and the season. 

I would bet big money on us picking guys that would best help our club on every pick we've made over the past couple years. Unfortunately, the last 2 drafts did not have much depth at all because of the covid deferring.

Edited by GCn20

26 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would bet big money on us picking guys that would best help our club on every pick we've made over the past couple years. Unfortunately, the last 2 drafts did not have much depth at all because of the covid deferring.

I really believe this is the case, and not Walters suddenly forgetting how to gauge talent...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I really believe this is the case, and not Walters suddenly forgetting how to gauge talent...

For sure. I looked hard at both those draft boards and I am not seeing any gems that we passed on. Just a butt load of unrecognizable names  behind our picks even a couple years after the draft. 2022 we only had one pick in the first 3 rounds and we took Tyrell Ford which is a really solid pick, and let's be real we are not finding future starting potential beyond the first 3 rounds....or at least that should not be anyone's expectation. A lot of people getting on about Schmekel and Bennett but I'm not seeing anything better behind them really. just looking at the round by round draft and I think every GM in these 2 years are probably disappointed after round 1.

Edited by GCn20

18 hours ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. I looked hard at both those draft boards and I am not seeing any gems that we passed on. Just a butt load of unrecognizable names  behind our picks even a couple years after the draft. 2022 we only had one pick in the first 3 rounds and we took Tyrell Ford which is a really solid pick, and let's be real we are not finding future starting potential beyond the first 3 rounds....or at least that should not be anyone's expectation. A lot of people getting on about Schmekel and Bennett but I'm not seeing anything better behind them really. just looking at the round by round draft and I think every GM in these 2 years are probably disappointed after round 1.

Of course you can find future starting potential beyond round 3. 

Calgary have started two Mr. Irrelevants.

Your starting LG this year might be Eli.  Guess who was picked in the fourth round.

My Ti-Cats are starting a fourth round pick (Katsantonis) at safety this year.

Logan Ferland wasn't even drafted and is the starting LG for Saskatchewan.

47 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Your starting LG this year might be Eli.  Guess who was picked in the fourth round.

Of course you can find those outliers. But you can’t rely on finding that soo far down. That’s why we generally see a run on long term nfl talent right around that point in the draft. 
 It goes from a trying to win on a scratched to a lottery ticket to keno. 
 Off the top of my head our best late late pick under walters has been exhume a career teams guy. Albeit a damn good one. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Of course you can find those outliers. But you can’t rely on finding that soo far down. That’s why we generally see a run on long term nfl talent right around that point in the draft. 
 It goes from a trying to win on a scratched to a lottery ticket to keno. 
 Off the top of my head our best late late pick under walters has been exhume a career teams guy. Albeit a damn good one. 

Yep and there are often reasons why a guy is available later in the draft (like NFL interest for example).  Eli may have gone in the 4th round but he's not a 4th round guy, talent wise.  If anyone else in the league had any idea that he was interested in playing ball again, he would have gone way higher than he did.  

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Yep and there are often reasons why a guy is available later in the draft (like NFL interest for example).  Eli may have gone in the 4th round but he's not a 4th round guy, talent wise.  If anyone else in the league had any idea that he was interested in playing ball again, he would have gone way higher than he did.  

Eli is the greatest modern cfl draft hoodwink. Every team in the league looked at their scout department who went oh $&@% 

5 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Teams can start whoever they like when their NAT starters aren't particularly good or you have a guy like Eli that would have been a top 5 draft pick if people had known he was willing to play. In Winnipeg, our 3rd round or later will have very little opportunity to start in their rookie deal just because of our existing NAT starter talent.  Of course, a guy could be a late bloomer or fly under the radar, but counting on that would be a very bad idea.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Pretty bold claim for someone who's been a back-up for 5 years.

To be fair:

2019 - Rookie Season

2020 - Season Cancelled

2021 - Played shortened season, Suspended

2022 - Sat out season

2023 - First year back

So he's essentially played  less than 3 seasons, each of which he had come back from a break. Should be interesting to see if he can finally get his footing.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Pretty bold claim for someone who's been a back-up for 5 years.

Not to speak for others, but I think by “hoodwink” he meant In terms of where and how he was drafted, not necessarily the best overall player pick. 
By that criteria  I’d say it’s up there for draft  success in recent history.

I wouldn’t say the greatest hoodwink though,  Rourke was a second rounder for one.

You could also include Loffler and even Olivera as guys who were drafted later than their provided impact would dictate in hindsight.