2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Outside of Alberta the league is stable. 

And Toronto, plus Montreal. Montreal will reasonably stabilize with new owners, but the stadium issue is as big for them as any one. Toronto has stabile owners but complete apathy in its market and the same stadium issue. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Is it possible to have the marquee player talk etc. put into it's own topic. I get we go off topic at times but it's kinda overtaken the actual Blue Bomber talk...

I agree…unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much Bomber talk other than all the players looking to jump ship. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

hope this is the year he comes back from the States....

I would have to think he plays this year.  I get why he didn't come back and play part of last year after NFL shots weren't happening - he felt a shot at a prorated NFL PR salary was worth forgoing half a year of CFL rookie money.

A full season might be a bit different though and since he has had no other NFL workouts (afaik), it doesn't seem like he has too many options.   He can come play out the last year on his rookie deal, get some more film and see what happens from there.

Just now, bigg jay said:

I would have to think he plays this year.  I get why he didn't come back and play part of last year after NFL shots weren't happening - he felt a shot at a prorated NFL PR salary was worth forgoing half a year of CFL rookie money.

A full season might be a bit different though and since he has had no other NFL workouts (afaik), it doesn't seem like he has too many options.   He can come play out the last year on his rookie deal, get some more film and see what happens from there.

I'd be surprised if he's not back this year.

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

On the main page, there's a button: Start New Topic. 

Godspeed. 

Advice not at all relevant to my post.......

But, back to actual Bomber off-season topics, while Houston is not a terrible player, as Booch said I believe we have enough in house to not have a significant drop with him signing elsewhere. I am sure he does not sign for cheap and it is simply money we don't "need" to spend IMO.

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Is it accepted though?  Jones keeps signing receivers to that number (first Lawler and then Lewis) but no other GM has gone there.  Lawler is making $250K but after that nobody was close to that mark (Tim White had the highest max at 220k).  Maybe it's different this year but Jones "reset" in 2022 did not make 2023 salaries follow suit.

We resigned Lawler to a 2 year deal in 2023 reported at the time to be worth $260,000 the first year and $300,000 this season. It has now been re-structured where the now reported $310,000 amount for this year is $285,000 with a $150,000 signing bonus. All numbers courtesy the Winnipeg Sun. So I would say yes, our own GM went there and met the ceiling of $300K for the top receiver when he re-signed last year.