2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

On strevy he was a legit passer in College had an impressive streak with out throwing a pick. He only regressed as a passer under plop. The check down offence isn’t what he’s cut out for. If your offence is designed to stretch sideline to sideline with the pass, running any thing but up the middle even with a qb is greatly reduced. Because he was used soo much to run, that was the first option with him on the field and what Ds game planned for. So the screen/release dump off played right into the Ds prep. 
 We needed seam passes, timing routes, hitch n go screen out n ups etc. as well as some run wrinkles like qb power and counter, pump and runs, dive action screens etc. 

I’m hopeful buck will make better use of strevy. 
Big Chris also seemed to take a good step forward in the nfl from zona to ny. And I mean it makes sense he got some great coaching. 

I like white but I don’t see him being notably cheaper than schoen. 

Yeah he had great College stats...and there never reallywas a knock on him as a passer....only knock was that he just didnt really play the position until his last 2 yrs of school.

He started out here as a legit QB prospect...threw the ball well and all over the field, then his running ability became apparent, and yup...Lapo basically neutered him, and teams saw what we were doing after a few games and basically put him behind the 8 ball....fans and media alike will be really impressed as to what he has become now...He didnt bounce around for 4 yrs as a gimmick guy.....Teams saw what he could do, and possibly be, but again...Behind the 8 ball as he was Undrafted, thus no investment in him whatsoever, and he was a CFL refugee....as dumb as all that is in the NFL it's a reality.....Our gain tho

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Thomas at his best was a rotational piece/bottom teir Canadian starter... he is long past his best.  Appreciate the hell out of everything he has done for this team but even bringing him to camp is a waste of time. We don't need his passport at the position.

You can say that - but he had 5 sacks.

He is worth bringing into camp when you have no clear backup to Lawson. 

It is an overreaction to be this upset about it. He is coming to camp. That’s it. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

If we lost Roadhouse but added Tim White, I'd be ok with that.

On Brady to Montreal, they not only brought back Antwi but Walter Fletcher as well. They may not be in the market.

Also signed a big powerful NFL discard....don't see BO gong there...But I see them offering something to Schoen tho..especially with the loss of Mack

The thing we know for sure is that Toronto really likes Brady. They wanted him two years ago but had to settle for the back up prize instead. But Brady was their first choice. So we know they'd love to have him... But willing to pay through the nose...? Remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

The thing we know for sure is that Toronto really likes Brady. They wanted him two years ago but had to settle for the back up prize instead. But Brady was their first choice. So we know they'd love to have him... But willing to pay through the nose...? Remains to be seen.

Let’s hope they do!

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

Also signed a big powerful NFL discard....don't see BO gong there...But I see them offering something to Schoen tho..especially with the loss of Mack

Am I the only one who thinks this team got hot at the right time last season & will fall off a cliff this year? Especially with Fajardo as their qb. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This would have been well before Brady established himself as a starter so doesn't make a whole lot of sense, do you have a link that indicates they preferred him over Harris?

10 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

This would have been well before Brady established himself as a starter so doesn't make a whole lot of sense, do you have a link that indicates they preferred him over Harris?

It's a quote from Brady, I believe from this past season. Says they reached out to him first, and he said no and decided to stay in Winnipeg, so they went to Harris instead. We've talked about it numerous times around here.

The spotlight on the 2024 season shines directly on Pierce and to a lesser degree, Younger. 

As a rookie coordinator, JY can be allowed time to grow while still retaining Ritchie’s existing defensive philosophies, without major repercussions. Best case, he puts his own stamp on the D and they respond positively. 

Buck is well involved in his gig, but this year, he can truly maximize the 2QB rule beyond what most (all) of the teams have at their disposal. With Streveler’s abilities, along with his experience playing our game (and hopefully, a good working relationship with Zach) our playcalling can really change the way we play. Having 2 QBs can be an unusual and unpredictable formation and can put the defence on its heels trying to prepare for the play, especially if your two QBs have different skill sets  

Will Buck help reinvent our game by utilizing the QB1-QB Hybrid option and more importantly, will Osh allow this to happen?

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Am I the only one who thinks this team got hot at the right time last season & will fall off a cliff this year? Especially with Fajardo as their qb. 

The only time they beat a team with a winning record was in the playoffs so I think If and it’s a BIG IF Hamilton and Ottawa aren’t dumpster fires, yes Montreal falls off a cliff. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Yeah he had great College stats...and there never reallywas a knock on him as a passer....only knock was that he just didnt really play the position until his last 2 yrs of school.

He started out here as a legit QB prospect...threw the ball well and all over the field, then his running ability became apparent, and yup...Lapo basically neutered him, and teams saw what we were doing after a few games and basically put him behind the 8 ball....fans and media alike will be really impressed as to what he has become now...He didnt bounce around for 4 yrs as a gimmick guy.....Teams saw what he could do, and possibly be, but again...Behind the 8 ball as he was Undrafted, thus no investment in him whatsoever, and he was a CFL refugee....as dumb as all that is in the NFL it's a reality.....Our gain tho

Given his temporary switch to wr and then back to qb after his transfer and the missing reps I actually think this course has been the best case scenario. Forced into action as a rookie in a different league and rule set on a very good team, fills in as an option guy in year 2 and does package work which is all new to him as well. Then to the nfl where it’s all focus on passing but with some teams that had high level offences designed around running QBs. 
When he does take the reins, be it forced into a start or a late season rest game I expect him to flourish. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I have this sinking feeling we are going to lose both Brady and schoen. Boy I hope it’s wrong. 

I never expected to keep Schoen. I just can’t see a way to make it make sense with Lawler here. 

But it’s still hard for me to believe that someone is going to offer Brady so much more than we are that it’s worth it for him to leave. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do....lightning in a bottle....I dont see anything even close to resembling a repeat there...let alone getting out of the East

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nah, too many good young players on D, and Thorpe, as much of a knob as he comes across as, always fields a competitive group. 

Their O could be pretty crappy without Mack though. 

20 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

For what its worth the Bomber store still has Schoen jerseys but no Oliveiras.

I take that as a good sign that Roadhouse will be back. 

Or that most people see BO coming back a sure thing and Schoen not so much,  so they invest in Bomber merch accordingly?

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

For what its worth the Bomber store still has Schoen jerseys but no Oliveiras.

I take that as a good sign that Roadhouse will be back. 

Fair point, though I saw discount lucky whitehead shirts last year still too. I think Brady is probably the hottest jersey the last year. 

54 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Nah, too many good young players on D, and Thorpe, as much of a knob as he comes across as, always fields a competitive group. 

Their O could be pretty crappy without Mack though. 

Yep, legit team built the right way. If they had gotten a better qb they’d be a serious long term threat.  mack has tons of faults, his ability to tap into the us market and find talent isn’t one. The ALs have done very well with Mack in finding us players. Canadians not soo much. And success is only ever sustained in the cfl if you maintain a high level of ni play.  

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Why would you think that teams don’t actually scout talent? It was fairly common around here at the time to want to let Harris walk to keep Brady. No surprise a pro team would prefer him too.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I do....lightning in a bottle....I dont see anything even close to resembling a repeat there...let alone getting out of the East

Fajardo is hot & cold. If he doesn't play at a consistently high level that team is done, No onje can say at what level he'll play at.

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

You sure? Their D is very good, especially the front 7. Not saying repeat, but a decent team.

Their D may be good but if CoFaj plays as bad as he is capable of then  they're in trouble. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They could. Very similar to the 2019 bomber team. But with less talent on Offense. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

I’d stop you right after the word really, add the word . . . hmmmmm let’s say sucks and that’s all one really needs to know about that.