2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why would it come down to either or tho. Why not both? 

on a side note .zach collaros chilling with T swift tonight at the bills chiefs game. Zach went to school with the Kelce guys. 

There's very obvious reasons why not both.

Walters could obviously give them both any deal they want, it would just come at the expense at other parts of the roster. At a certain point, it would do more harm than good. 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

There's very obvious reasons why not both.

Walters could obviously give them both any deal they want, it would just come at the expense at other parts of the roster. At a certain point, it would do more harm than good. 

I also think it's one or the other ultimately, and smart money and who is more valuable and roster flex and replacement ease leans heavily into Schoen's camp.....if BO tho wants to accept fair compensation, and sign a 3 yr deal at 145/165/195 with a guarantee in yr 3 then that makes sense and doesn't upset the apple cart for this yr....He is really easily replaced on the cheap, and I think his bargaining power isn't as strong as he thinks it is

54 minutes ago, Booch said:

I also think it's one or the other ultimately, and smart money and who is more valuable and roster flex and replacement ease leans heavily into Schoen's camp.....if BO tho wants to accept fair compensation, and sign a 3 yr deal at 145/165/195 with a guarantee in yr 3 then that makes sense and doesn't upset the apple cart for this yr....He is really easily replaced on the cheap, and I think his bargaining power isn't as strong as he thinks it is

I agree with this, and that's why I think it's more likely that he's the one we sign. 

Schoen would probably have to accept far less to stay here than he would get on the open market. I'm hopeful, but I just can't see how the math  would work. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Fort Hew is getting a new name...

Bombers’ home to be renamed Princess Auto Stadium

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/01/22/bombers-home-getting-new-name

They paying more than investors group did. That’s all that matters. 

the name of the building goes to the highest bidder. Will always be IGF to me. Same with the hockey rink. It’s the mts centre still. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

That sounds horrible, how embarrassing.

$$$$$ 

they all sound horrible at first. It’s a building name. Canada life center. MTS center. They sounded awful also. Ppl hated Investors Group Field also. PA stadium. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/01/22/bombers-home-getting-new-name

I am a fan of Princess Auto, but this feels like the equivalent of Giant Tiger Stadium.

This is disgusting.

Schoen and Brady better both be signed for this.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

They paying more than investors group did. That’s all that matters. 

the name of the building goes to the highest bidder. Will always be IGF to me. Same with the hockey rink. It’s the mts centre still. 

$$$$$ 

they all sound horrible at first. It’s a building name. Canada life center. MTS center. They sounded awful also. Ppl hated Investors Group Field also. PA stadium. 

No, Canada Life did not sound like Bi-Way Field. 

Princess Auto Field sounds better but honestly getting worked up over naming rights is silly. It’s actually almost as silly as arguing about fashion. To each their own. 

the name doesn’t matter. What matters is how much they paying for it. 

Just now, JCon said:

No, Canada Life did not sound like Bi-Way Field. 

Who ******* cares. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Princess Auto Field sounds better but honestly getting worked up over naming rights is silly. It’s actually almost as silly as arguing about fashion. To each their own. 

Almost as silly as telling people what they should care about.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Who ******* cares. 

You're getting a little worked up over this. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

I am a fan of Princess Auto, but this feels like the equivalent of Giant Tiger Stadium.

I don't disagree - I'm no stranger to Princess Auto but their brand is low budget and the products are often low quality so that's what comes to mind when people think of them.

At the end of the day, it's money in the club's account though so that's all that really matters. Still Fort Hew to me anyway!

34 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The math may work for Schoen if its a 3 year deal and he takes between 200-220 in year one and more later.

These new guaranteed contracts and guys leaning toward multi yr deals definitely plays in a teams favor...ours especially and can totally see a back loaded deal...especially with post 2025 a lot of big money coming off the books...likely a lot for 2025...I'm not too concerned about losing Schoen and to be honest, I think we can be a an over all stronger team letting BO walk if his ask is too much

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

They outbid RockAuto :D

At least it's a national brand(even with it being 90% Chinesium) unlike IG and CanadInn.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, Booch said:

These new guaranteed contracts and guys leaning toward multi yr deals definitely plays in a teams favor...ours especially and can totally see a back loaded deal...especially with post 2025 a lot of big money coming off the books...likely a lot for 2025...I'm not too concerned about losing Schoen and to be honest, I think we can be a an over all stronger team letting BO walk if his ask is too much

I have to say I am surprised at how many have turned on Brady and are prepared to shrug and just let him walk, especially thinking that it locks in Schoen now. I totally get the concept that running backs have a shorter shelf life than receivers (and agree with that) and that they can be a dime a dozen and his production can be easily replaced more than other positions (not as sure that is agree given the heights he achieved, or that it is any tougher to unearth a receiver, but I am willing to concede that point rather than argue about a hypothetical hair splitting matter). However, a few things to ponder if comparing Oliveira/Schoen and assuming we must let one go and it will guarantee us the other:

MONEY

Brady made $100,000 last year, max $114,000 with bonuses (this according to 3DownNation, and I’d have to think he hit all of his plausible bonus plateaus), and is seeking to be the highest paid back (and re-set the market, though that may be fans and media talking more than his one playful tweet which I personally think some are taking way too seriously to get offended by, jmo). Highest paid back last year was $170,000, Demski made $175,000 (as a Canadian comparable), so even re-setting the market I can’t fathom it being higher than $200,000. I would peg it at between $175,000-$190,000 at the top end.

Dalton made $70,000 or so last year (Wpg Sun, who said he made near rookie minimum). If he is #1 or 2 in the CFL, then the bar for him is $300,000 given the current market set by Kenny Lawler. I would peg him at $225,000-250,000 on the open market. So in theory, those worrying about overpaying and costing us elsewhere on the roster should be more concerned about the larger pay increase being Schoen, no?

LIFESPAN

Brady is 26, Dalton is 27, so neither is getting old, and since a max contract is 3 years and is a rarity in the CFL, the shorter shelf life of a running back should not really come into play. 

DURABILITY

Brady plays a pounding game, so always a threat of injury, but Dalton is coming off an injury himself, and who knows how healed up he is, in light of his rush back into the Grey Cup lineup and the non-factor that he was in that game. He sure got beaten up last season, curious to see how he rebounds. 

IMPORTANCE 

This is where I am curious about opinions. Both are key to our attack, but it was said that the offence ran through Brady (no pun intended). If Dalton goes down, we still have Lawler, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bailey, and BOLO for our corps, plus whatever young American we bring in this season. If Brady is out, we have Augustine, McCrae or a new American. In which position do you see more of a drop off? And only one of Brady and Dalton is a ratio-breaking Canadian.

LOYALTY

i again wonder how much of the Brady dismissal is due to the tweet and nothing else. I did not read it as a middle finger to Winnipeg or the fans, just a playful response to the media tweet of “the sky’s the limit” rather than a threat to bleed teams dry. But that’s just me. In any event, Dalton has not necessarily shown any greater loyalty by wanting to try the NFL route in consecutive seasons, if one wants to get their nose out of joint (I do not, players words or expressed desires of maximizing their careers does not irk me). I don’t see either as being more or less loyal to the club. 

I always remembered Dave Ritchie saying “Canadians are gold, Americans are silver” so I am surprised so many seem willing to just say bye-bye to the MOC who did something no other back period has done since Jon Cornish and only Charles Roberts has done before in a Winnipeg jersey (2,000 scrimmage yards). Dalton put up league-leading or comparable numbers, but Brady lapped the field with his performance last year. I feel that people are underselling his accomplishments, or the importance of his play at the position (and more so the position itself in the Bomber offence), a little too readily. 

Anyway? Just some musings. Sorry about the length, hoping it might generate more discussion. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever