2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I remember an interview OSH gave with the media after LaPolice was re-hired in 2016. It was noted that he had two former head coaches on his staff now, and didn’t that cause him some concern for his job (especially after the bad 2015 season and more than a few fans calling for his head) that there were two ready replacements to step in easily and take over, as opposed to hiring underlings at co-ordinaries who weren’t a threat to his job security? His comment essentially was that it was the opposite - he wanted the best minds possible and the most experience possible, and the best thing for his job security was to surround himself with the smartest and most competent people around to help him so that the team could be the best it could be, rather than sabotage the team success by hiring lesser people out of some misguided need to protect himself. THAT, he said, was the quickest way to find himself in the unemployment line. He wanted the best collection of ideas working with him and challenging him to being the best product out on the field, and it would be silly to be intimidated by it and try to silence that input and ignore that creativity in the hopes that it would give him a safety net for his job. 

That's what the best HC's do ..hire best support so they didn't have to worry about anything and do minimal work other than motivate the boys and make the smart decisions come game day ..if a HC has a good staff ..he really does not do a heck of a lot

Just read some of the crap on the hiring in saskabush......Apparently what impressed and put the hiring of Mace over the top was his statement ....'look I just want this fu&kin job'....Now I've been to a few job interviews in my time and have given a few....A person coming in the door and stating right off the bat ' 'look ...I just want this friggin job' would not impress the hell out of me and probably I would have put his/her application into file 13....Not in Regina though....Seems they are impressed really easy over there in riderland and do a thorough job with their hiring.......My gawd Buck....you're so lucky you walked away from that garbage 

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Just read some of the crap on the hiring in saskabush......Apparently what impressed and put the hiring of Mace over the top was his statement ....'look I just want this fu&kin job'....Now I've been to a few job interviews in my time and have given a few....A person coming in the door and stating right off the bat ' 'look ...I just want this friggin job' would not impress the hell out of me and probably I would have put his/her application into file 13....Not in Regina though....Seems they are impressed really easy over there in riderland and do a thorough job with their hiring.......My gawd Buck....you're so lucky you walked away from that garbage 

Imo when people need a job or need a specific hire, it’s the wrong fit. Desperation seldom leads to success. 

nah, his bluntness would have been refreshing and confident... I have no problem with that. But I'm sure JOD was shocked that anyone outright said they wanted to be there.... other than that OC Kelly Jeffrey, who was just excited to have a job in pro football....

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Reminds me of when we hired Mike Kelly because it was his dream job so he'll probably try real hard.

Edited by GCn20

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Literally no-one wants to coach there so when someone tells them they actually want to be there they lose their minds.

never forget that the last go 'round they had to bump up their STC because literally nobody wanted the job, and then last year when they needed a new OC, literally nobody wanted the job.... EVERYONE turned them down..... except the local guy who just really wanted a job in pro ball. Can't be stated enough.... NOBODY wants to be in The Gap...

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I remember an interview OSH gave with the media after LaPolice was re-hired in 2016. It was noted that he had two former head coaches on his staff now, and didn’t that cause him some concern for his job (especially after the bad 2015 season and more than a few fans calling for his head) that there were two ready replacements to step in easily and take over, as opposed to hiring underlings at co-ordinaries who weren’t a threat to his job security? His comment essentially was that it was the opposite - he wanted the best minds possible and the most experience possible, and the best thing for his job security was to surround himself with the smartest and most competent people around to help him so that the team could be the best it could be, rather than sabotage the team success by hiring lesser people out of some misguided need to protect himself. THAT, he said, was the quickest way to find himself in the unemployment line. He wanted the best collection of ideas working with him and challenging him to being the best product out on the field, and it would be silly to be intimidated by it and try to silence that input and ignore that creativity in the hopes that it would give him a safety net for his job. 

I rememebr reading that too... after reading that I was all:

this-guy-gets-it-nick-offerman.gif

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

he actually said that?..lol....too funny...and yeah Buck dodged a bullet there and kudos to him for seeing that was prob not a good first HC gig to take

So Mace committed to living in Regina, massaged ODay's ego, and then committed to ODays choice of QB...he already sucks as a HC and it's only day 1.

Reading between the lines it would seem that Buck was not very enthusiastic about the job, wouldn't move to Regina year round, or wanted a different starting QB. Probably all 3.

Good gravy, committing to year round residence in Regina just screams bad decision maker.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, WinnipegGordo said:

Lol. I did a spit take when I read Hall of Fame quaterback.

No doubt. Why on earth would he be in the HOF?

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

he actually said that?..lol....too funny...and yeah Buck dodged a bullet there and kudos to him for seeing that was prob not a good first HC gig to take

He knew that coming in. It's why he bailed.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

never forget that the last go 'round they had to bump up their STC because literally nobody wanted the job, and then last year when they needed a new OC, literally nobody wanted the job.... EVERYONE turned them down..... except the local guy who just really wanted a job in pro ball. Can't be stated enough.... NOBODY wants to be in The Gap...

Jeffrey had previously coached in Edmonton and Toronto. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

nah, his bluntness would have been refreshing and confident... I have no problem with that. But I'm sure JOD was shocked that anyone outright said they wanted to be there.... other than that OC Kelly Jeffrey, who was just excited to have a job in pro football....

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952q2wik65liu4y17kh5