2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

6 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I have it on pretty good authority that Buck wanted the job, he didn’t decline. I know fans of Big Blue would like to think that’s the case to push the agenda, but sadly, not so.

Regardless, Mace is a great hire. There was no losing for the Riders with Pierce or Mace.

Whose authority? 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I never put any value in any insider information in the cfl. I’ve seen soo much junk shared in every form of outlet from posts on here to tweets to articles. 
Hc in waiting behind mos is a long long long wait. 

Yeah, what is O’Shea, like 6 years older than Buck? He could coach for another 10-15 years yet. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Pretty much every connected media person in-the-know had said so. I'm not buying that Mace was necessarily their first choice. I think Buck was with conditions attached by O'Day that ultimately Buck couldn't get behind.

Buck is happy here though and if you read his interview from last year when he turned down Ottawa, it is very clear he is in no rush, The situation for him to go to HC has to be just right and there would be nothing he would love more than being HC here. We all know that. I agree that the media is notoriously unreliable, but in this case everyone seemed to be in agreement on what they were hearing...and that is rare. I do agree that the HC in waiting angle by Ball seems like a long shot though.

Agree. Waiting is going to serve him well too. Soo many guys rush into a hc job in the cfl only to fail and lose their co career. 

The right spot for him just might be edm once jones is off the books and they have a clean slate with a full empty front office cap. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Agree. Waiting is going to serve him well too. Soo many guys rush into a hc job in the cfl only to fail and lose their co career. 

The right spot for him just might be edm once jones is off the books and they have a clean slate with a full empty front office cap. 

Maybe. Hard to say. All depends on whether or not a GM is going to actually let him carry out his plan with the players/type of players he wants. Seems to me that at the end of the day something with the Riders broke down, I would wager big that it was O'Day and Buck not being on the same wavelength in respect to roster/roster priorities/ player retention/types of players to recruit. I am sure Buck wanted to carry FIFO over to the Riders, and a team first approach to player recruitment/retention just doesn't seem like something O'Day values very highly. He is like Joe Mack, he likes to bring in the skilled guys with sketchy characters and hope they change. It's a losing approach as we all found out. O'Day, like Mack, just can't keep his eyes of the shiny baubles no matter how toxic they might be.

Edited by GCn20

That Stronson guy thinks he's some insider....he's a complete turd....

Who knows the how and the what in the negotiations and all are different....Just because Buck went to the final stage with another guy...whom seemed to take second place "by all accounts" doesn't mean he didn't get to the final stages and then decline...And I am standing by that...and maybe the Bombers stepped up..added an Ast HC title and a few extra scheckles...thats my take...call it a spin....whatever floats the proverbial boat but I have on good authority....which I know to not be here say...that He didn't want to leave but would listen, and it would need to be the right, and ideal place...and obviously it wasn't....and the mess that is the Riders was prob another reason to wait this out here

1 minute ago, Booch said:

That Stronson guy thinks he's some insider....he's a complete turd....

Who knows the how and the what in the negotiations and all are different....Just because Buck went to the final stage with another guy...whom seemed to take second place "by all accounts" doesn't mean he didn't get to the final stages and then decline...And I am standing by that...and maybe the Bombers stepped up..added an Ast HC title and a few extra scheckles...thats my take...call it a spin....whatever floats the proverbial boat but I have on good authority....which I know to not be here say...that He didn't want to leave but would listen, and it would need to be the right, and ideal place...and obviously it wasn't....and the mess that is the Riders was prob another reason to wait this out here

At the end of the day, we all know Buck was by far and away their best bet. IMO, this was more a matter of Buck interviewing the Riders than the other way around.

Just now, GCn20 said:

At the end of the day, we all know Buck was by far and away their best bet. IMO, this was more a matter of Buck interviewing the Riders than the other way around.

I would think he would have been as well....coaching since 2014, with success...learning from successful people

And yes....he was doing a fact finding mission more than anything as well....Glad to see we will have the whole staff and management back

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

After years and years of watching the Bombers not get the guy they wanted, I think we all know what it looks like. 
They wanted Buck first, full stop. 

If they didn't then they are idiots. If they did and didn't get him then they are losers. I mean let's break it down. What could Buck offer them? Well, he instantly brings the gold standard in culture reset to the Riders. This is probably more than anything what they need. He brings a top notch offensive system that features the strongest run game and red zone attack in the CFL, Dru Brown (probably) to solidify their QBing for the next few years, (if rumors are true), an ability to fix a brutal OL., Jordan Younger who could abosolutely transform their putrid pass defence, and Buck is another coach that guys would run through walls for. For these reasons I find it pretty unbelievable that the Riders would pass that up, I mean it's possible that O'Day could not see that because he is not a particularly good GM but it is far more likely that he went with Mace because he was uncomfortable with the planned changes by Buck at QB. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

If they didn't then they are idiots. If they did and didn't get him then they are losers. I mean let's break it down. What could Buck offer them? Well, he instantly brings the gold standard in culture reset to the Riders. This is probably more than anything what they need. He brings a top notch offensive system that features the strongest run game and red zone attack in the CFL, Dru Brown (probably) to solidify their QBing for the next few years, (if rumors are true), an ability to fix a brutal OL., Jordan Younger who could abosolutely transform their putrid pass defence, and Buck is another coach that guys would run through walls for. For these reasons I find it pretty unbelievable that the Riders would pass that up, I mean it's possible that O'Day could not see that because he is not a particularly good GM but it is far more likely that he went with Mace because he was uncomfortable with the planned changes by Buck at QB. 

yup....pretty much a good summation....again...They settled.....or their awesome GM made the poor choice.....we shall see

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree 100%

But there there's a guy's resume and then there's what he presents in an interview. Minds can be changed.

That said, I think O'Day is an idiot and just the worst GM in the league. I trust him to be looking for the wrong traits in his staff. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I agree 100%

But there there's a guy's resume and then there's what he presents in an interview. Minds can be changed.

That said, I think O'Day is an idiot and just the worst GM in the league. I trust him to be looking for the wrong traits in his staff. 

moreso not knowing what to look for I think

Mitchell Blair tweeted that as of yesterday morning the word in all the insiders was their was basically confirmation it would be Buck with a presser to come today to announce it. We now have 3 known media insiders that are fairly reliabe suggesting Buck may have walked away, or been lured back by the Bombers. Then we have Stronson, who is a self claimed Rider insider with an atrocious record or being correct claiming Mace was the guy all along. Who to believe....who to believe.

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....pretty much a good summation....again...They settled.....or their awesome GM made the poor choice.....we shall see

Sure is sounding more and more like Buck walked away. Numerous media reports now from some pretty good reporters suggesting that the Bombers lured him back. We may never know for sure, and I was a bit hesitant before in believing that entirely, but now some real heavyweight CFL reporters are all in lockstep on this.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Mitchell Blair tweeted that as of yesterday morning the word in all the insiders was their was basically confirmation it would be Buck with a presser to come today to announce it. We now have 3 known media insiders that are fairly reliabe suggesting Buck may have walked away, or been lured back by the Bombers. Then we have Stronson, who is a self claimed Rider insider with an atrocious record or being correct claiming Mace was the guy all along. Who to believe....who to believe.

Sure is sounding more and more like Buck walked away. Numerous media reports now from some pretty good reporters suggesting that the Bombers lured him back.

I certainly believe Wade was attempting to make it difficult for Buck to leave.

Just now, Jesse said:

I certainly believe Wade was attempting to make it difficult for Buck to leave.

I think he succeeded.

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I agree 100%

Hey, if O'Day can be that easily swayed off of a superior candidate by a sales pitch (because that's what a 1-2 hour interview is) then right on for us. They will suck for the next 3 years.

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure is sounding more and more like Buck walked away. Numerous media reports now from some pretty good reporters suggesting that the Bombers lured him back. We may never know for sure, and I was a bit hesitant before in believing that entirely, but now some real heavyweight CFL reporters are all in lockstep on this.

I almost thinking he declined when all said and done...As I know he really didnt want to leave....and maybe after 2025 Osh is stepping aside...who knows....but wouldnt shock me

And as Walters even said....who would want to leave here?.....

When it's all said and done....and it appears to be the case, Buck dodged a bullet by either passing it up orrrr being runner up....Who the hell wants to go to that mess....AND IF it's true Bombers added a little incentive for him to stay here , all the better...O'Daisy is skating on thin ice over there himself...and Buck would have been skating along with him....Nothing like continuity for the club AND we have a lot of work to do to get us back to the promised land....Pierce will and can get us there

I beileve he's the heir apparent when Osh decides to pull the pin ....You just never know when Mike O might/will pull the pin...CFL moves in strange ways sometimes

Edited by Stickem

15 minutes ago, Stickem said:

When it's all said and done....and it appears to be the case, Buck dodged a bullet by either passing it up orrrr being runner up....Who the hell wants to go to that mess....AND IF it's true Bombers added a little incentive for him to stay here , all the better...O'Daisy is skating on thin ice over there himself...and Buck would have been skating along with him....Nothing like continuity for the club AND we have a lot of work to do to get us back to the promised land....Pierce will and can get us there

I beileve he's the heir apparent when Osh decides to pull the pin ....You just never know when Mike O might/will pull the pin...CFL moves in strange ways sometimes

and pretty sure Hall's heir apparent is on staff as well...another coach players would kill for

you can say what you want about 3DN (...and I will...) but Dunk is generally pretty reliable. When Dunk says Mace is out of the running and it's going to be Pierce, they're just negotiating a contract...... and then out of nowhere it's Mace...?? That leads me to believe Buck turned them down at the last minute and they had to double back and beg forgiveness. I also fully believe that Wade "did whatever he had to do..." to keep Buck around. If you have ever listened to any of the various Buck episodes of Handled Internally, Darren Cameron tells a good story about when Buck almost went to the Riders as an assistant after he was done playing...... and how they "worked it all out" during a Jets game, to make sure Buck didn't leave. From Wade down, they LOVE Pierce, and do not want to see him in The Gap. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

you can say what you want about 3DN (...and I will...) but Dunk is generally pretty reliable. When Dunk says Mace is out of the running and it's going to be Pierce, they're just negotiating a contract...... and then out of nowhere it's Mace...?? That leads me to believe Buck turned them down at the last minute and they had to double back and beg forgiveness. I also fully believe that Wade "did whatever he had to do..." to keep Buck around. If you have ever listened to any of the various Buck episodes of Handled Internally, Darren Cameron tells a good story about when Buck almost went to the Riders as an assistant after he was done playing...... and how they "worked it all out" during a Jets game, to make sure Buck didn't leave. From Wade down, they LOVE Pierce, and do not want to see him in The Gap. 

Dunk actually is good, and connected, and when he puts something out there it's 99% fact checked and solid....leads me to believe as well that we cockblocked them and that in itself makes the Grey Cup loss sting just a lil less haha

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Dunk actually is good, and connected, and when he puts something out there it's 99% fact checked and solid....leads me to believe as well that we cockblocked them and that in itself makes the Grey Cup loss sting just a lil less haha

between the management contracts and now this.... I'll take any little thing to help me move forward. Ha ha.