2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

So apparently Buck was in Regina and left on Saturday. Mace's 2nd interview happened and was scheduled Monday. Buck stated he withdrew his name and one would have to assume it was Saturday before he left. I think Buck is the type of guy who would do it in person. Something happened on that visit that changed Buck's mind and it wasn't the imminent hiring of Mace because he had not even had his 2nd interview yet. My bet is that O'Day told him that Harris would be his man and Buck said thanks but no thanks, and rightfully so. After that is was straight spin about how Mace was the guy all along through the process. 

Mace basically got Harris forced on him and wanted the job so bad he is willing to harpoon his, and the teams best chances of success by properly rebuilding around a young QB. Unfortunate for the Riders and the Rider fan base that JOD can't help but #%$* their team over even as a new coach is hired. Buck had the integrity to stay committed to his plan for success or pass on it. Harris 38 coming off a major injury and has been completely uncomfortable in the pocket for a few years now. Chances are he doesn't make it to the halfway point of next season.

Edited by GCn20

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So the way I interpret it is Buck came in and wowed them and they all got a hard on for hiring buck (hence media reports) but Buck wasn't as impressed and withdrew so it was "mace was always the first choice!"

Basically. I think JOD tried to impose some conditions on Buck's hire that made him walk away as well....and based on how much of Mace's presser was all about his belief in Harris I am guessing he was the deal breaker for Buck.

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

So basically O'Day wants a yes man for the HC position. Cool. That will turn out well. I smell another 3 year extension coming.

Why would his need for a yes man change now? Of course that's what he was looking for. When a GM says he is looking for a guy that "shares his vision" it ultimately means he is looking for a yes man. O'Day doesn't have the guts to let his HC determine roster etc. It would shine a light on how poor a GM he is.

Edited by GCn20

Typical Rider spin....most "insiders" and media outside of Ballsy Clown had it as Buck....even after it was public on Twitter Farhan responded with a "wow"....they all were not hood winked by J Oday.

Buck presented his idea and plan...they loved it save for likely a non-Harris QB situation, and maybe some other personel and coaching direction....So he pulled his hat outta the ring....and timelines of interviews strongly show that now...Next up..SettLe for Mace but proclaim "he was they guy"

Don't get me wrong he's a good hire and worlds better than what they had...But taking a job and being hand-cuffed by management and who "they" want or perceive as a key piece to the rebuild...and thats what it is...a rebuild is a bit concerning to me.

Is he going to just "happen" to retain some staff?...guess we shall see.....But Buck walking away likely blind-sided them, and would have been the better option on many levels.....thir loss continues to be our gain.

Just another case...tho a lil less severe as last time of settling again

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

So apparently Buck was in Regina and left on Saturday. Mace's 2nd interview happened and was scheduled Monday. Buck stated he withdrew his name and one would have to assume it was Saturday before he left. I think Buck is the type of guy who would do it in person. Something happened on that visit that changed Buck's mind and it wasn't the imminent hiring of Mace because he had not even had his 2nd interview yet. My bet is that O'Day told him that Harris would be his man and Buck said thanks but no thanks, and rightfully so. After that is was straight spin about how Mace was the guy all along through the process. 

Mace basically got Harris forced on him and wanted the job so bad he is willing to harpoon his, and the teams best chances of success by properly rebuilding around a young QB. Unfortunate for the Riders and the Rider fan base that JOD can't help but #%$* their team over even as a new coach is hired. Buck had the integrity to stay committed to his plan for success or pass on it. Harris 38 coming off a major injury and has been completely uncomfortable in the pocket for a few years now. Chances are he doesn't make it to the halfway point of next season.

Now that right there is the definition of spin, impressive reach lol.   

Even Dunk said he only assumed it was going to be leaning towards Buck because he was in Regina the longest.    Haven't seen one negative word about the hiring of Mace, pretty difficult to put a negative spin on this but I gotta admire your attempt, even though logic states if fell flat.

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Now that right there is the definition of spin, impressive reach lol.   

Even Dunk said he only assumed it was going to be leaning towards Buck because he was in Regina the longest.    Haven't seen one negative word about the hiring of Mace, pretty difficult to put a negative spin on this but I gotta admire your attempt, even though logic states if fell flat.

The only thing falling flat is your precious Riders coaching hire`s decision to smooch old O`Days ass by committing to an over the hill injured QB on literally his last legs It makes absolutely no sense to go into a rebuild with a 38 year old injured and gun shy QB. Seriously. you guys are so gaga over someone getting hired that you are completely overlooking the fact that he committed to Harris in order to get the job and that is a HUGE mistake right off the bat. So save your little logic falls flat remarks for your HC and GM, because it is theirs that falls flat... on day one no less. O`Day hasn`t learned a thing from the last 2 seasons and hired himself a yes man. Good luck with that. BWAHA HA! I am not laughing with you...I am laughing at you. Keep on Riderfanning.

Edited by GCn20

49 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Pure comedy, the only negative reaction to the Mace hire is by Bombers fans. 

And Harris is only 2 years older than Collaros and has less of a history of injuries, those are facts.  

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So the way I interpret it is Buck came in and wowed them and they all got a hard on for hiring buck (hence media reports) but Buck wasn't as impressed and withdrew so it was "mace was always the first choice!"

That right there is Bombers' fans delusion.   The scars must still be fresh

Edited by Wheeler

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

Pure comedy.  Harris is only 2 years older than Collaros and has less of a history of injuries.   

2 years in your late 30s is kind of a big deal. We all expect Zach to potentially retire in 2 years after his current deal. 

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The only thing falling flat is your precious Riders coaching hire`s decision to smooch old O`Days ass by committing to an over the hill injured QB on literally his last legs It makes absolutely no sense to go into a rebuild with a 38 year old injured and gun shy QB. Seriously. you guys are so gaga over someone getting hired that you are completely overlooking the fact that he committed to Harris in order to get the job and that is a HUGE mistake right off the bat. So save your little logic falls flat remarks for your HC and GM, because it is theirs that falls flat... on day one no less. O`Day hasn`t learned a thing from the last 2 seasons and hired himself a yes man. Good luck with that. BWAHA HA! I am not laughing with you...I am laughing at you. Keep on Riderfanning.

I think it's a good idea to have a guy like Harris in the building as part of a rebuild. But what they need to do - starting with last year - is get a guy like Dru to be ready to step in and take the job. 

7 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Pure comedy.  Harris is only 2 years older than Collaros and has less of a history of injuries.   

BWA HA HA. It`s 3 years, and 3 years from now I will likely feel the exact same sentiment towards Collaros because logic dictates that it would be time to move on....especially if he were coming off as serious an injury as Harris is TRYING to recover from. Man you sure are showing your lack of football IQ more and more by the minute tho.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

2 years in your late 30s is kind of a big deal. We all expect Zach to potentially retire in 2 years after his current deal. 

I think it's a good idea to have a guy like Harris in the building as part of a rebuild. But what they need to do - starting with last year - is get a guy like Dru to be ready to step in and take the job. 

Can`t afford him because Harris is being grossly overpaid. O`Day likely would never pull the trigger on such a sensical move either.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

BWA HA HA. It`s 3 years, and 3 years from now I will likely feel the exact same sentiment towards Collaros because logic dictates that it would be time to move on....especially if he were coming off as serious an injury as Harris is TRYING to recover from.

Can`t afford him because Harris is being grossly overpaid.

Harris is making $100K less than Collaros and I wouldn't be surprised if his contract will be restructured.   If the Riders can't afford Dru, then you can be damn sure the Bombers can't either.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Trevor Harris QB coach maybe....Trevor Harris 525k QB STUPID.

3 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Harris is making $100K less than Collaros and I wouldn't be surprised if his contract will be restructured.   If the Riders can't afford Dru, then you can be damn sure the Bombers can't either.

We already know that we can`t afford Brown. Don`t have to either because we have a QB.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We already know that we can`t afford Brown. Don`t have to either because we have a QB.

Harris making 100k less than Zac is overpaying him by about 250k for what he`s actually worth.  No wonder your team is in the crapper. Renegotiate with Harris down to what...he`s got a signed contract. Hes not going to budge very far.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You are right, you do have a  QB.  I wonder is he is trending downwards though, his performance in the playoffs was not good.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Can`t afford him because Harris is being grossly overpaid. O`Day likely would never pull the trigger on such a sensical move either.

Not Dru, it's too late for that, but Harris was a great bridge option to the next guy had they been able to plan it out.

There is president (the Burris/Harris deal), for giving Dru a contract that pays him as a back-up in the first year and as a starter in subsequent years tho.

For teams like Ottawa/Hamilton/Sask with old busted QBs in place.

Just now, Wheeler said:

You are right, you do have a  QB.  I wonder is he is trending downwards though, his performance in the playoffs was not good.

Not sure but he was number one in just about every QB category last year....and was in his 4th straight Grey Cup...so your questions come off as a bit stupid in light of that.

Just now, JCon said:

I guess we know who got to use the Saskatchewan wifi today. I wonder if it's decided on a lottery or rotation? 

Number of teeth.

Just now, Wheeler said:

Zach's fine. And he's ours for at least the next two years whether he starts to decline or not. Gotta start looking for our next developmental guy.

Stop trying to pull us into the weeds man, or you're just gonna get yourself banned. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not Dru, it's too late for that, but Harris was a great bridge option to the next guy had they been able to plan it out.

There is president (the Burris/Harris deal), for giving Dru a contract that pays him as a back-up in the first year and as a starter in subsequent years tho.

For teams like Ottawa/Hamilton/Sask with old busted QBs in place.

There is precedent for O`Day not doing a good job too so I will hedge my bets they go Harris or bust this season and it ends up bust.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Zach's fine. And he's ours for at least the next two years whether he starts to decline or not. Gotta start looking for our next developmental guy.

Stop trying to pull us into the weeds man, or you're just gonna get yourself banned. 

He is just mad that everyone here is not licking Mace`s boots and thinking he will lead them to the promised land. Buck would have been an infinitely better hire and I`m glad O`Day was unable to talk him into going there.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Your timeline is incorrect according to 3Down:

With Milanovich not a fit and out of the process, the decision came down to two men, Mace and Buck Pierce. The former Argonauts defensive coordinator had flight issues for his final, in-person interview. He landed around 6 p.m. local time on Sunday night, met with O’Day late into the night and flew back to Toronto first thing in the morning. Pierce touched down in Regina around 2 p.m. on Monday, staying in the city for approximately 24 hours until leaving Tuesday afternoon.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

There is precedent for O`Day not doing a good job too so I will hedge my bets they go Harris or bust this season and it ends up bust.

That I completely agree on.  In my opinion the hiring of Mace is a very good first step by ODay in getting the ship back on the water.    The praise from players and media alike speaks for itself.  Quite enjoyed his presser today.

16 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Trevor Harris is their safety net, if they strike out signing Brown, who else are they going to bring in, Dane Evans?  To try and build a team around Dolegala or Fine would just end up the same as Cornelius.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Trevor Harris is their safety net, if they strike out signing Brown, who else are they going to bring in, Dane Evans?  To try and build a team around Dolegala or Fine would just end up the same as Cornelius.

Like you say, he's their safety net and it's their job to find that next guy.

It's the hardest job in sports: find a starting QB.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

So, Harris has a 250k roster bonus due on Feb 1st however free agency doesnt start until Feb 13th.

If the Bombers know they arent going to sign Brown they might be wise to trade his rights before free agency.

Would Riders want to trade for him after Mace just proclaimed Harris is a Hall of Famer?