Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

The oline could have pushed me 20 yards each run also. Just saying. 

ppl are letting their heart and emotions come into play. He’s a Winnipeg kid so ppl are blinded a bit. I’d take a Charles Roberts who is consistent over a dude who NEEDS 20 touches a game to actually hit 100 yards. 5.8 avg? Augustine at 5.6 average.  It’s the Oline not the back. 

Ok, now I think people are going too hard in the other direction here.

Last year Brady was absolute crap for the first half of the season and clearly made changes to be the incredible back he was for the last half of 2022 and all of 2023. It is not all the OL and not every back will have close to his success. Augustine had a high average at the end of blow out games. It's not an equal comparison.  

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

The oline could have pushed me 20 yards each run also. Just saying. 

ppl are letting their heart and emotions come into play. He’s a Winnipeg kid so ppl are blinded a bit. I’d take a Charles Roberts who is consistent over a dude who NEEDS 20 touches a game to actually hit 100 yards. 5.8 avg? Augustine at 5.6 average.  It’s the Oline not the back. 

Augustine has barely played since a couple games in 2019 in anything but garbage time.  Not even worth bringing up to try to make a point.

On 2024-01-10 at 9:59 AM, HardCoreBlue said:

If we lose Brady, I will greatly miss how he dictated the tone to opponents, how he established the run to open up play action the pass game, how he was a multi threat and, as importantly, his sidelines off field contributions. 

I don't think he's a dime a dozen.

No but he is not irreplaceable, either. 

19 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I agree with the sentiment that there are some readily available american runningbacks who could get the job done for us behind our offensive line. And with the XFL/USFL merger, there's going to be more opportunity to recruit rookies this season. Have said that i think the priority is Brady. He's a Canadian, a local product and he IMO has intangibles that are valuable to the team. No American runningback is going to care about the community as much as Brady nor will they understand to the same degree what it means to the fans to win. I see Brady as someone will can will this team to championships and can be a positive infectious force in the locker room helping young americans to be motivated by more than just a shot to look good and get into the NFL. Have said that we can't break the bank for him. He deserves a raise but not to be the highest paid non QB on the roster.

1. Yeah, Brady's sure been a positive & infectious force in the locker room this off season. Especially after his last social media post. 

2. I & most fans just want to win whether Brady is from Winnipeg or Tallahassee. Florida. We don't care. Is it nice he's a Winnipegger? Sure. Is it necessary?? No.

3. What intangibles does Brady have that other backs don't have? Sure, he's big, strong & tough but so are other backs as well. He can be replaced rather easily for a a lot less money by an American.

4. The priority is Dalton Schoen. Not Brady. Since we pass the ball more than we run, that makes him the priority.

5. Football is a team game. You need all positions & coaches working together to win. You can't win by just one person "willing" it.

6. How can Oliveira be that "infectious force" you claim he is? Inspiring Americans to not just look at the CFL as a stepping stone to the NFL when he's doing that now, himself? Or wistfully thinking that maybe a bigger payday will come elsewhere in the CFL.

On 2024-01-12 at 5:25 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

1. Yeah, Brady's sure been a positive & infectious force in the locker room this off season. Especially after his last social media post. 

2. I & most fans just want to win whether Brady is from Winnipeg or Tallahassee. Florida. We don't care. Is it nice he's a Winnipegger? Sure. Is it necessary?? No.

3. What intangibles does Brady have that other backs don't have? Sure, he's big, strong & tough but so are other backs as well. He can be replaced rather easily for a a lot less money by an American.

4. The priority is Dalton Schoen. Not Brady. Since we pass the ball more than we run, that makes him the priority.

5. Football is a team game. You need all positions & coaches working together to win. You can't win by just one person "willing" it.

6. How can Oliveira be that "infectious force" you claim he is? Inspiring Americans to not just look at the CFL as a stepping stone to the NFL when he's doing that now, himself? Or wistfully thinking that maybe a bigger payday will come elsewhere in the CFL.

What did he post? 

On 2024-01-11 at 12:01 PM, Jesse said:

Ok, now I think people are going too hard in the other direction here.

Last year Brady was absolute crap for the first half of the season and clearly made changes to be the incredible back he was for the last half of 2022 and all of 2023. It is not all the OL and not every back will have close to his success. Augustine had a high average at the end of blow out games. It's not an equal comparison.  

Good post and thought. Thxs

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I wouldn't say ingrate- but really tone deaf. I am going to chalk it up to his youth and his agent getting into his head.

8ccn22.gif

100% this.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Agents work for the player not the other way around. 

Agents also get paid more the more their client gets paid. And is it so unreasonable to thunk an agent isngoing to saynto a client "hey you are totally worth $X, don't settle for anything less"

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Agents also get paid more the more their client gets paid. And is it so unreasonable to thunk an agent isngoing to saynto a client "hey you are totally worth $X, don't settle for anything less"

Yes but Brady in this scenario has likely told his agent a range he will accept 

let’s say 175 to 200k.  

Anyone think any team offers him that? Let’s say no. Agents job then is to tell Brady the facts. These guys offering you 160k. These guys 150 etc. Brady sits on it for a while and eventually takes the 160k. Or maybe goes on the Henoc Muamba cfl world tour 

Edited by Goalie

17 hours ago, bb1 said:

Brady leaving? Buh bye! Save the coin for DS, bring in some rook American Rbs and lets move on....gives us way more flexibility...

Meh....Brady is coming off lousy because he is not thinking before he is posting. However, lots of players try to make it look like they MIGHT leave if they are lowballed prior to FA. If Brady thought how his posts make him look to Bomber fans I am sure he would rephrase many of them or just leave it to his agent. I still feel we sign Brady at a heckuva lot less than the numbers the media is throwing around.

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If I had to guess....180....unless the Streveler talk is for real then we just may let him walk if he wants more than 170k.

was hearing an offer of 2 yrs...175/190.....Or thats what our capped out dollar amount is....don't use as verbatim tho

I mentioned way back to expect to hear Strev news/talk in Jan....and really I think thats the smart move to replace Brown and Prukop with him, and actually go import at RB....Have a Canadian there serves us no real advantage ratio wise anymore, and hamstrings us by basically tripling that SMS hit....which goes a long way to re-up Schoen and Strev....and Buck licking his chops about the idea of ZC and Strev on filed at same time...DC's around league not so much

If I was Walters, and BO wants to play hardball is to snag Logan out of CGY as our RB...gives coverage in return game, and with our line, and how our receivers block, with his explosive home run speed, dude would light it up if we commit to run as per usual

For what it worth expect a Schoen return as well....

Edited by Booch

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

was hearing an offer of 2 yrs...175/190.....Or thats what our capped out dollar amount is....don't use as verbatim tho

I mentioned way back to expect to hear Strev news/talk in Jan....and really I think thats the smart move to replace Brown and Prukop with him, and actually go import at RB....Have a Canadian there serves us no real advantage ratio wise anymore, and hamstrings us by basically tripling that SMS hit....which goes a long way to re-up Schoen and Strev....and Buck licking his chops about the idea of ZC and Strev on filed at same time...DC's around league not so much

If I was Walters, and BO wants to play hardball is to snag Logan out of CGY as our RB...gives coverage in return game, and with our line, and how our receivers block, with his explosive home run speed, dude would light it up if we commit to run as per usual

For what it worth expect a Schoen return as well....

Like the idea of Strev and a much cheaper American RB. 

Schoen returning would be huge. Everything he has shown so far looks like he'll be a perennial all-star.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

That's more than I'd like to pay, but I believe that the WFC is willing to go there. It makes sense.

I also believe that Brady is probably using the 250 number to try and pull us towards and over the 200 line. But that is just too much and would just hurt the team more than it would help us.