Elks at Tigercats

rebusrankin

6 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

And he didn't miss the kick it was blocked (yayaya save your breath). Nevertheless we lost when we could have won, and thank goodness EDM cut Castillo loose

Yeah, and the kick was blocked because he missed it. rightbackatcha you with the yada yada yada. 🙂

Fully agreed that we can be thankful we have Castillo now. Even though O’Shea had to bring Leggs back to training camp to save face with all he said about him in 2022; which, let’s face it, was a waste of everyone’s time.

8 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Not to start anything here… 🙂

But as I recall, there were quite a few Liegghio defenders on this site last year… even after his debacle performance in the playoffs, including playing the single biggest role in us losing the Grey cup.

The only ones I was more irritated with at that time was the bomber brass. Why they went out and got Medlock after the Lirum 2015 season and then went out and got Castillo after realizing Leggio was pooping the bed in 2021 yet decide to stick with him in 2022…??

this after openly saying that both Medlock and Castillo we’re worth it because you cannot afford to be without a reliable kicker and hope to win a championship. They knew this! They acted on it twice before!

So, I am sorry my friends, MOS is the bomb in a lot of ways. But this weird loyalty thing really gets in the way sometimes. O’Shea still has to wear our failure to three peat in a significant way.

Explain to me why O’Shea is to blame for Castillo signing as a free agent with Edmonton and being given only Liegghio and Mourtada as options at camp. Those are contract decisions and that falls squarely on Walters.  

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

9 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Not to start anything here… 🙂

But as I recall, there were quite a few Liegghio defenders on this site last year… even after his debacle performance in the playoffs, including playing the single biggest role in us losing the Grey cup.

The only ones I was more irritated with at that time was the bomber brass. Why they went out and got Medlock after the Lirum 2015 season and then went out and got Castillo after realizing Leggio was pooping the bed in 2021 yet decide to stick with him in 2022…??

this after openly saying that both Medlock and Castillo we’re worth it because you cannot afford to be without a reliable kicker and hope to win a championship. They knew this! They acted on it twice before!

So, I am sorry my friends, MOS is the bomb in a lot of ways. But this weird loyalty thing really gets in the way sometimes. O’Shea still has to wear our failure to three peat in a significant way.

I mostly agree with you but you’re missing an extremely important point… bombers didn’t just say “no thanks” to Castillo after the ‘21 season… Edm offered him a boatload of money and it was completely understandable he would take it and we wouldn’t match… that said, a bunch of American kickers in ‘22 camp probably would’ve been a good idea 

Leggs doing what Leggs does.....shanking much needed points in that one....Boo birds were out and I felt sorry for the guy until I quickly remembered him doing that in games for us....I don't know what it is with him.....he has great leg strength but when it comes to accuracy it eludes him a lot of the time....It's like a golfer gets the yips before a putt and an easy par becomes a bogie .....Psycological maybe....who knows....I'm just glad we have Castillo.

Edited by Stickem

25 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Leggs doing what Leggs does.....shanking much needed points in that one....Boo birds were out and I felt sorry for the guy until I quickly remembered him doing that in games for us....I don't know what it is with him.....he has great leg strength but when it comes to accuracy it eludes him a lot of the time....It's like a golfer gets the yips before a putt and an easy par becomes a bogie .....Psycological maybe....who knows....I'm just glad we have Castillo.

And his shanks always seem to snowball. If he misses one early in the game, he's going to miss more.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I mostly agree with you but you’re missing an extremely important point… bombers didn’t just say “no thanks” to Castillo after the ‘21 season… Edm offered him a boatload of money and it was completely understandable he would take it and we wouldn’t match… that said, a bunch of American kickers in ‘22 camp probably would’ve been a good idea 

Agreed with you that it may not have been realistic to retain Castillo after 21. Still, everyone makes decisions and prioritizes what they prioritize. The bombers put the priority elsewhere and gambled that Leggio would be ready. This despite that he has always looked like he has the yips big time every time he lines up to kick. Ultimately, we gambled and we lost.

Yes, agreed again- absolutely should’ve been a very vigourous competition in training camp in 22 like there was this year. Bottom line for me, is that I think there were plenty of signs to suggest we shouldn’t put all our eggs in the leggio basket. At the time it appeared reasonable not to focus on retaining Castillo for the reasons you suggest – but then the bombers needed to look elsewhere rather than turn back to legs given his performance in 21.

that said, what’s done is done. I will move on from my griping though I do need to briefly reply to one other post! 🙂

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Explain to me why O’Shea is to blame for Castillo signing as a free agent with Edmonton and being given only Liegghio and Mourtada as options at camp. Those are contract decisions and that falls squarely on Walters.  

Your comment suggests that you believe that O’Shea had nothing to do with the decision to only bring Leggio and Mourtada back to camp in ‘22. In other words, that that decision was 100% on Walters?

Given the tightness between those two gentlemen and the degree to which the GM respects the head coach , I think it is extremely doubtful that the coach didn’t tell the GM that he was satisfied with bringing those 2 back to camp and rolling with one of them. They clearly make those sorts of decisions together. 

That then is my explanation to your question: I am assuming they made the decision together not to pursue options other than Leggs. And this is the way in which O’Shea shares at least 50% responsibility for the decision. K, it’s official… I’m done complaining now.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

4 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

We broke them in the 2019 cup. They've never been quite the same since. 

You're welcome @bluto

And don't think I didn't appreciate it. They have 24 years of futility and long may it continue!

(gratuitous reference to the greatest day of my life: https://www.cfl.ca/2005/09/10/argonauts_48__tiger_cats_0/ )