Bombers @ redblacks GDT - Week 6

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I might get flack because I suggested this earlier in the year... I think  Houston also sucks.     

Agreed. His high INT total is a fluke. His coverage is consistently poor and he gets burnt deep often. I want Rose and Parker in next week for Houston and Daramy-Swaray.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

A lot of talk about different dbs being bad this year. And each guy has had highs and lows. Some like Darby more lows than highs. The young guys in general have our performed the old guys. 
 But the guy that stands out to be me is BA. He hasn’t been remotely the same since his injury. He’s gotten too much into the habit of selling out for hits, but he went from an elite deep cover guy to none existent. We are having to play dbs in run fits more than ever because we don’t have a nose. But even in pure pass calls he can’t seem to get over to help on deep shots. Instead of getting in on the wr or the ball to make a play, he at best gets into the trail position and doesn’t provide much cover help. 
 Last night I saw him give up a couple times from behind where he would’ve been able to run into the back end of plays and make score saving tackles in the past. 
Maybe he’s struggling with the adjustments, maybe he’s not healthy. But he went from the straw that stirs the drink in our secondary to ineffective in pass coverage. 
 And I’m not talking about ranging half or the whole field. He’s not getting into position from with in his third or less. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

I think MOS loyalty may be his biggest weakness. He has gone through the fire with these guys,believing in them always. So can he change? I hope he doesn't have to....

MOS has won 2 Grey Cups but he's not Wally Buono. He'll stick with his veterans all the way to the end. maybe Walters has to get more involved in the process. Buono cut Allen Pitts & DE Will Johnson. Two CFL All Stars & HOFers. And he cut other veterans as well. He would go into a season thinking he needed to turn over 10% of the roster minimum. Why? Get younger & cheaper.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

MOS has won 2 Grey Cups but he's not Wally Buono. He'll stick with his veterans all the way to the end. maybe Walters has to get more involved in the process. Buono cut Allen Pitts & DE Will Johnson. Two CFL All Stars & HOFers. And he cut other veterans as well. He would go into a season thinking he needed to turn over 10% of the roster minimum. Why? Get younger & cheaper.

This is my worry. That we've peaked and while still good and capable of winning it all, the glory days are behind us and that MOS will be too loyal to the vets.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

This is my worry. That we've peaked and while still good and capable of winning it all, the glory days are behind us and that MOS will be too loyal to the vets.

Bud Grant was like that with his veterans that won him 4 Grey Cups. He bailed in 1967 for the Vikings before the mass exodus of retirements started & left Joe Zaleski with a bare cupboard. Took the Bombers five years to get back to the playoffs under a different HC.

Two types of coaches. it seems. The guys that run with the dogs that brung 'em. These coaches are loyal to their players & build a strong team culture that inspires winning. Or the coach that rules by fear. Players fear one bad performance & they may lose their jobs. They know they're all replaceable so they are motivated to play hard all the time or they're gone. Buono & Vince Lombardi were cut from the same cloth.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mos is very much in the mould of Dave ritchie. Who I love but his down fall here and with other teams was very similar to what we see this year. 
The thing that separates long term great coaches from coaches that don’t last is the ability to move on from good players on the wrong end of their career. Buono, and the don are classic guys who would hesitate to replace an aging vet with a young player if it made their team better. Belicheck, to Walsh even to other sports. If you ride veterans to the point that when you let them go no one else signs them, you’re on a sinking ship. 

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I might get flack because I suggested this earlier in the year... I think  Houston also sucks.     

If I was running things....The secondary when healthy would be Rose...Nichols..BA...Parker...Sawaray right now...Lawrence  if Injuries were the reason his play after game 2 went sideways...cause he is a good DB....But as it stands I see a lot to like with ADS....not sure why Mouhamed hasn't got a shot yet....But he looked legit last yr...

Thats our best most physical group, and best group of tacklers....Wilson back would take Clements role and he could take Coles spot/duties and I would like to see Cole given the spot Darby has right now...Darby is either lights out this yr....or lights need to be turned on....not sure whats with him this yr, but Cole is our probably most athletic defensive player on the roster, and would be a perfect SAM

Also....Bennett on defence sits in place of Murphy, or Burtenshaw as basically with out piss poor roster makeup....there's nobody else...Haba and the Jeffs, and shortly Hansen is the best end quartet in the league...no worries there...Jake should be on roster soley as depth...and injury replacement with minimal rotation....for the one...maybe 2 decent things he does a game now...there are 5 times that where he is part of why we getting slaughtered up the gut...Now did Walker turn the corner and can do this game in and game out?....or was this just a career game?...we shall see, but we need Fox or a new found stud on the roster as well...so DA him and designate a Nationalized guy and friggin use the snot out of it...how our staff doesnt see...or want to use sets with the Jeffs and Fox and Walker in the middle 22 times a game...or one of fox/walker and Haba...is baffling....almost inexcusable..but we will roll out one of the Jeffs...Thomas...Bennett all at the same time...why in the hell do that??

Fox can take the place of the extra receiver that basically does the Traverious Harrison and stands there all game ...just because I guess....If Murphy takes Bennet's spot you have 2 national Receivers with him and BOLO to back up when all is healthy Schoen..Demski..Woli..Shheed and Lawler....and right now Mcrae...who is a place holder for Grant....easy peasy....And yup...something is up with our interior and it stinks....to me it's Center...and all things will permeate out from there...Next game against the Elks should be Bryant..Gray..Eli..Neuf and Yosh...and see how they perform as a unit....and work from there going into the bye...The chatter about Yosh losing it is a bit over dramaticized right now....you work from inside out at this point in season...and if it is still not optimal...you put Dobson in a guard spot...and you see whats up then.

But this recent bizzarre play calling and going against what works, and how we dominate is baffling and taking it' toll on our o-line play, and trying to get them to morph into something different...its easy to see, and since game 3 we have looked off...out of sync...and not communicating well at all...its so easy to see....now will Osh and his staff make the moves and changes as needed...as the pieces are already here for most part...but not being used, and we for some reason...especially on offence are trying to re-create our identity and what we excel at....not sure why as it wasn't needed

season is still early to make the required tweeks...before it snowballs out of control...so get it done...Even as it sits right now....across the board we have the best unit in the West....just have to put them in the right places to get back to that level we accustomed to.

And will say it again...Osh needs to turn up the prickmode a bit...and also suck up his pride...or whatever it is making him not want to use a rue thats ...a rule and would help us...and also put aside his penchant for favoring his tenured guys....and his mindset that everyone on the roster is a #1....cause they aint......do this....or even half of this and things would be a hella lot rosier

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Mos is very much in the mould of Dave ritchie. Who I love but his down fall here and with other teams was very similar to what we see this year. 
The thing that separates long term great coaches from coaches that don’t last is the ability to move on from good players on the wrong end of their career. Buono, and the don are classic guys who would hesitate to replace an aging vet with a young player if it made their team better. Belicheck, to Walsh even to other sports. If you ride veterans to the point that when you let them go no one else signs them, you’re on a sinking ship. 

and like I mentioned before....I saw ol Cal cut a guy at haltime....you dont perform....u were gone...also you couldnt stay on the field...your replacement was in the air lickity split

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

If I was running things....The secondary when healthy would be Rose...Nichols..BA...Parker...Sawaray right now...Lawrence  if Injuries were the reason his play after game 2 went sideways...cause he is a good DB....But as it stands I see a lot to like with ADS....not sure why Mouhamed hasn't got a shot yet....But he looked legit last yr...

Thats our best most physical group, and best group of tacklers....Wilson back would take Clements role and he could take Coles spot/duties and I would like to see Cole given the spot Darby has right now...Darby is either lights out this yr....or lights need to be turned on....not sure whats with him this yr, but Cole is our probably most athletic defensive player on the roster, and would be a perfect SAM

Also....Bennett on defence sits in place of Murphy, or Burtenshaw as basically with out piss poor roster makeup....there's nobody else...Haba and the Jeffs, and shortly Hansen is the best end quartet in the league...no worries there...Jake should be on roster soley as depth...and injury replacement with minimal rotation....for the one...maybe 2 decent things he does a game now...there are 5 times that where he is part of why we getting slaughtered up the gut...Now did Walker turn the corner and can do this game in and game out?....or was this just a career game?...we shall see, but we need Fox or a new found stud on the roster as well...so DA him and designate a Nationalized guy and friggin use the snot out of it...how our staff doesnt see...or want to use sets with the Jeffs and Fox and Walker in the middle 22 times a game...or one of fox/walker and Haba...is baffling....almost inexcusable..but we will roll out one of the Jeffs...Thomas...Bennett all at the same time...why in the hell do that??

Fox can take the place of the extra receiver that basically does the Traverious Harrison and stands there all game ...just because I guess....If Murphy takes Bennet's spot you have 2 national Receivers with him and BOLO to back up when all is healthy Schoen..Demski..Woli..Shheed and Lawler....and right now Mcrae...who is a place holder for Grant....easy peasy....And yup...something is up with our interior and it stinks....to me it's Center...and all things will permeate out from there...Next game against the Elks should be Bryant..Gray..Eli..Neuf and Yosh...and see how they perform as a unit....and work from there going into the bye...The chatter about Yosh losing it is a bit over dramaticized right now....you work from inside out at this point in season...and if it is still not optimal...you put Dobson in a guard spot...and you see whats up then.

But this recent bizzarre play calling and going against what works, and how we dominate is baffling and taking it' toll on our o-line play, and trying to get them to morph into something different...its easy to see, and since game 3 we have looked off...out of sync...and not communicating well at all...its so easy to see....now will Osh and his staff make the moves and changes as needed...as the pieces are already here for most part...but not being used, and we for some reason...especially on offence are trying to re-create our identity and what we excel at....not sure why as it wasn't needed

season is still early to make the required tweeks...before it snowballs out of control...so get it done...Even as it sits right now....across the board we have the best unit in the West....just have to put them in the right places to get back to that level we accustomed to.

And will say it again...Osh needs to turn up the prickmode a bit...and also suck up his pride...or whatever it is making him not want to use a rue thats ...a rule and would help us...and also put aside his penchant for favoring his tenured guys....and his mindset that everyone on the roster is a #1....cause they aint......do this....or even half of this and things would be a hella lot rosier

and like I mentioned before....I saw ol Cal cut a guy at haltime....you dont perform....u were gone...also you couldnt stay on the field...your replacement was in the air lickity split

Cal cut another guy, during a CJOB post-game show..........

22 minutes ago, do or die said:

Cal cut another guy, during a CJOB post-game show..........

yup.....its nice to be nice...until its time not to be so nice...right now is the time

I also think Osh doesnt want to come across as running up the score on teams too...as he got called out for it early in his career here...and it's stuck with him...who gives a flying Fack what people think/say...thats part of reason why we many many times take foot off gas and almost go into preserve the lead mode...and it's killed us too many times to mention...last night should never have happened.again

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup.....its nice to be nice...until its time not to be so nice...right now is the time

I also think Osh doesnt want to come across as running up the score on teams too...as he got called out for it early in his career here...and it's stuck with him...who gives a flying Fack what people think/say...thats part of reason why we many many ties take foot off gas and almost go into preserve the lead ode...and it's killed us too many times to mention...last night should never have happened.again

I don’t recall Osh ever running up the score. mayyybe the 2018 opener in Montreal, 56-10 iirc. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t recall Osh ever running up the score. mayyybe the 2018 opener in Montreal, 56-10 iirc. 

I remember a time someone complained about it...media...or opponent....escapes me when tho....none the less....its okay to be a **** sometimes....

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I agree.  I was hoping Thomas and Neufeld  would have retired before this season.  Paddy May yet replaced before the season finishes if he keeps up with his current level of play.

A little bit of excuse making for OL group that has largely got their asses kicked week after week this season.  Scheme and play calling doesn't account for that.  

Bryant and Gray have been generally ok.  Gray is a super athletic guy that isn't best suited to the interior ever, especially if he's not moving forward, if it's all pass protecting he starts drowning.

The right side has looked both slow and weak this season.  Neufeld having a hell of a time deciding what to do in pass protection, endangering Collaros especially when there's no back waiting there in the protection to clean up that inside gap.  Hardrick is looking very stiff, hardly even bending into his stance wonder about hips, knees, groin, back, not a ton of power coming out either way, appears to be having less trouble with figuring out his assignment in protection than Neufeld but is getting beat lots more than we're used to seeing.

Watching this game in a hotel room with a couple buddies who also coach OL/DL...the one guy has a theory on Neufeld and some of the other Bombers that they keep coming back because they know the talent is still here to win, but personally they are more than ready to move on.  When you see efforts like this you might buy into that theory.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

27 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I would like to buy your meth!

It seems like he gets equally burned on the amount of plays that he does make.  Very hot and cold.    I said it earlier in the year when people were thrilled with his first 2 ints... he seemed to be on the bad end of several long bombs.       

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I remember a time someone complained about it...media...or opponent....escapes me when tho....none the less....its okay to be a **** sometimes....

I remember someone in the media complaining that he kicked a FG with no time left, but it was game 1 of a season series. 

Yeah, I’d like to hope he’s a little harsher behind the scenes. Not full Kavis, but there does need to be a few consequences. 

20 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Garbage tackling and garbage play calling. The o-line has become a huge concern and they secondary needs a shakeup. For all of Houston INT's im still not sold on him. Gets beat a lot. Rose and Parker need to come back in asap for Houston and Daramy-Swaray. And i'd like to see Tui and Dobson replace Neufeld and Kolankowski next game. Interior is getting dominated. Alexander was also hot garbage today too. Not sure WTF is up with him. His and Bighill's tackling was a joke. I fear a lot of people were/are right, this team looks old.

lol what the hell? Demerio Houston is legit one of the best corners in the CFL.

I’d rather see if Parker can take over at dime. He’s a sound tackler, and quicker than Darby.

Of everything wrong with this team right now, I don’t see what you guys do when it comes to Houston. He’s been one of the only guys making plays. 

Daramy-Swaray is another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing in Darby’s spot. We need to see way more physicality there. ADS can thump.   

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I think one change at a time to each problem area would be a good start. I wouldn’t take holm off the active roster currently. If ba doesn’t get back to what he’s done in the past id look at either flipping ni (not ideal) and starting two imp dts jake goes off the active a together, or try swaray/holm at S. 

I’d bring back one injured db or Mohamed, either Cole at wil or kyrie, a nose on the roster, Eli in at C. Following that if we under perform I’d make another round of changes and cut some vets. 

Walker has had two really good games in a row. But even if he’s sayles quality right now we need a nose full time. Not a guy in the nose position but a guy who can collapse the C and cancel both A gaps with regularity. 

he does  cal didn’t muck about with guys who don’t perform. I think a veteran getting cut is the message this team needs right now. 

53 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A little bit of excuse making for OL group that has largely got their asses kicked week after week this season.  Scheme and play calling doesn't account for that.  

Bryant and Gray have been generally ok.  Gray is a super athletic guy that isn't best suited to the interior ever, especially if he's not moving forward, if it's all pass protecting he starts drowning.

The right side has looked both slow and weak this season.  Neufeld having a hell of a time deciding what to do in pass protection, endangering Collaros especially when there's no back waiting there in the protection to clean up that inside gap.  Hardrick is looking very stiff, hardly even bending into his stance wonder about hips, knees, groin, back, not a ton of power coming out either way, appears to be having less trouble with figuring out his assignment in protection than Neufeld but is getting beat lots more than we're used to seeing.

Watching this game in a hotel room with a couple buddies who also coach OL/DL...the one guy has a theory on Neufeld and some of the other Bombers that they keep coming back because they know the talent is still here to win, but personally they are more than ready to move on.  When you see efforts like this you might buy into that theory.

Nailed it. Though C has been an issue a lot. When teams play a nose or kola has to call out adjustments and blitzes hand off stunts etc he falters. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d rather see if Parker can take over at dime. He’s a sound tackler, and quicker than Darby.

Of everything wrong with this team right now, I don’t see what you guys do when it comes to Houston. He’s been one of the only guys making plays. 

Daramy-Swaray is another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing in Darby’s spot. We need to see way more physicality there. ADS can thump.   

Darby needs to go, whether they put Parker/Holm/ADS there … there needs to be a change. I’d even consider putting Alexander there and moving one of Parker/ADS to safety, as well. Get him closer to the line of scrimmage.

Something’s gotta change though. This is exactly what I was talking about in the off-season, so many people suggested we were going to be good because we were good last year and guys just weren’t gonna fall off a cliff. Neufeld fell off, Kolankowski fell off, Alexander fell off, Darby fell off, Hardrick fell off, Thomas fell off and now look. We sleepwalked through training camp, handing out spots to guys who didn’t earn them instead of attempting to bring in actual legitimate competition. We roster guys to thank them for their years of service (hello Jesse Briggs) and don’t let the best players on the field when we need to.

I understand the loyalty and I understand there’s a lot of merit in his approach, but O’Shea needs to be loyal to the locker room in its entirety, not to each individual. As stupid as I think the whole FIFO thing is and as much as it makes me cringe when Noeller parrots it like some battle cry of the super fan, the team sure isn’t doing much fitting in right now. There’s no reason for the personnel decisions we’re making, I saw it coming a mile away and some of you laughed when I said coaching  and roster management was going to cost us games this year. Then I see **** like Jesse Briggs being on the field collecting participation medals because who the hell knows why, and it’s apparent that coaching and roster management really is going to cost us games.

The worst part is, they’ve mishandled the whole situation entirely and now it’s probably too late to fix it this year - we don’t even have most of the pieces we need on our practice roster because we’d rather work on having 7 globals and 5 offensive linemen we’ll never use. On top of that, O’Shea is so stubborn that even the advantages we could pick up, he won’t because he doesn’t believe in them.

Stupid.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

lol what the hell? Demerio Houston is legit one of the best corners in the CFL.

Houston isn’t a problem for sure. And when the secondary sees turn over, has to cover more in the run game and isn’t getting off the field you see what we saw the last couple of games. 
 When BA first went to S in 19 it was a drastic impact on a tremendously talented secondary that had struggled even more so. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Darby needs to go, whether they put Parker/Holm/ADS there … there needs to be a change. I’d even consider putting Alexander there and moving one of Parker/ADS to safety, as well. Get him closer to the line of scrimmage.

Something’s gotta change though. This is exactly what I was talking about in the off-season, so many people suggested we were going to be good because we were good last year and guys just weren’t gonna fall off a cliff. Neufeld fell off, Kolankowski fell off, Alexander fell off, Darby fell off, Hardrick fell off, Thomas fell off and now look. We sleepwalked through training camp, handing out spots to guys who didn’t earn them instead of attempting to bring in actual legitimate competition. We roster guys to thank them for their years of service (hello Jesse Briggs) and don’t let the best players on the field when we need to.

I understand the loyalty and I understand there’s a lot of merit in his approach, but O’Shea needs to be loyal to the locker room in its entirety, not to each individual. As stupid as I think the whole FIFO thing is and as much as it makes me cringe when Noeller parrots it like some battle cry of the super fan, the team sure isn’t doing much fitting in right now. There’s no reason for the personnel decisions we’re making, I saw it coming a mile away and some of you laughed when I said coaching  and roster management was going to cost us games this year. Then I see **** like Jesse Briggs being on the field collecting participation medals because who the hell knows why, and it’s apparent that coaching and roster management really is going to cost us games.

The worst part is, they’ve mishandled the whole situation entirely and now it’s probably too late to fix it this year - we don’t even have most of the pieces we need on our practice roster because we’d rather work on having 7 globals and 5 offensive linemen we’ll never use. On top of that, O’Shea is so stubborn that even the advantages we could pick up, he won’t because he doesn’t believe in them.

Stupid.

That makes a lot of sense. Alexander is on the line half the time anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Stupid.

Preaching to choir..I been echoing same things..BA hasn't fell off tho in my opinion...he's just being asked to play too many different roles or schemes and doesn't know if he coming or going

Thomas is toast...KOLO was never good enough...and something up with Neuf but he is an ideal 6th guy and for the short yardage teams

I agree with BA or Parker at SAM...Ideally id rather see Cole..he's our best athlete...or if anything one of the best

..Houston...Parker..Swarmay and ADS are guys who should be leaned on now and are the future if you ask me...young...tough..and sound tacklers...

And fix the PR to be an actual functioning entity...

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hate to say it, but I don’t know how we can get it back with the way mos runs things. He isn’t going to send a message to the guys by cutting or benching some one or by holding them accountable. He’s going to let the room do it, they will just focus on next week and be further diminished. 

We’ve been punched in the mouth twice this year. Once by a comparable team and once by a significantly worse team. That happens. But we didn’t fight back. You can’t be old and lack the ability to fight back. You have to have more fight to beat younger guys. 

The problem with letting the room control the team is it's become a highly revered "old boys club", and they've been playing together for so long their kids know them individually as uncle's.  Nobody in that room is going to step up and point out that B.A. has lost a step and probably needs to be step back from playing Safety.  That's the coach's job, but in the Bombers special case, Walters is usually the one that gets to do the dirty work.