Bombers vs Als - Canada day weekend edition

The Zipp

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Imo some of the biggest issues I’ve seen from him this year are separation or lack their of and crocodile catches. He isn’t being smart or sharp with his cuts or the concepts we are running. This is what makes schoen elite. And lawler too. They know when to burst when to  cruise and how to play the game with dbs. I haven’t seen any of that from Agudosi. If we game plan and package specifically for him we can create opening but dbs figure this stuff out quick. 
 He just doesn’t use his length to create extra cushion either. We waits too long for the ball to hit him in the numbers. He isn’t getting out and attacking the ball with his hands. 

this can  change and improve. Bailey has had two rough starts to the season and bounced back in a big way both times. Agudosi just has to grind. That said idk how much more time he has left and at his age it’s tough to be that raw. Demski is a few months older than him. Woli and sheed are both a bit younger. Grant is a bit older. Lawler is a bit younger. (Grant Demski lawler sheed and Agudosi are all 29, woli is 28.)

This point exactly. Against BC he had a couple of chances at jump balls that I recall thinking he played it improperly. On one he jumped up but tried to cradle the ball in the bread basket rather than stretching and high pointing the ball with arms extended. Gave up a good 3 to 4 feet of height advantage and the DB was able to break it up despite being noticeably shorter.  On the second he tried to keep running and go over the top of the defender he was behind on an under thrown ball (Schoen did this too at one point), while BC’s receivers who got behind the defence deliberately slammed on the brakes on under thrown balls and allowed the Bomber defenders in chase mode to catch up and run into them, drawing 2 PI flags on the opening drive. Given how the refs were flagging the PI, the Bomber receivers would have been better trying to draw the PI rather than competing for bread basket catches on 50/50 balls. I say this merely as a viewer and not a receiver or coach. Is this a flawed analysis?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Are we really going to rag on Agudosi in his first handful of starts? Guy has made some big plays for us. If he is out this week, it likely isn't performance related. We gameplan differently for each team we face and maybe the coaches see something that makes them believe McCrae might be the better option this week. The guy is on a 700 yard pace as essentially a rookie playing our 5th receiver spot. 

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Are we really going to rag on Agudosi in his first handful of starts? Guy has made some big plays for us. If he is out this week, it likely isn't performance related. We gameplan differently for each team we face and maybe the coaches see something that makes them believe McCrae might be the better option this week. The guy is on a 700 yard pace as essentially a rookie playing our 5th receiver spot. 

Dudes has had 12 targets in 3 games...and for whatever reason he get pulled out a lot in the red zone plays....which also seems counter productive with a guy that possess' that size..has caught 9 of 12...drew a few penalties....not like he trash...if he was cut loose he's be signed prob fast as Castillo was signed by us

Thing is too...he is real good on teams...one of his positives in the NFL yet we dont use him there...Actually has several punt blocks in his career too....I have talked with the Cards strength and condition coach and he raved about him....his work ethic and his aggresiveness...especially on teams...we jut not utilizing him right...and he is basically option 4 anyway...so what u expect

Edited by Booch

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

Dudes has had 12 targets in 3 games...and for whatever reason he get pulled out a lot in the red zone plays....which also seems counter productive with a guy that possess' that size..has caught 9 of 12...drew a few penalties....not like he trash...if he was cut loose he's be signed prob fast as Castillo was signed by us

Thing is too...he is real good on teams...one of his positives in the NFL yet we dont use him there...Actually has several punt blocks in his career too....I have talked with the Cards strength and condition coach and he raved about him....his work ethic and his aggresiveness...especially on teams...we jut not utilizing him right...and he is basically option 4 anyway...so what u expect

I stand corrected. Thanks man. Really appreciate your takes on here. 

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

I suspect they will go back to using him on teams only if he is the extra wr. They don’t usually have the starting WRs play teams. 

mccrae didn’t get any pre season action. He may just be getting reps to get sharp. 

39 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

There’s something weird about Agudosi. I’d say lackadaisical, but that’s not really it.  Just doesn’t strike me as a very aggressive player. The body catching kind of goes with that too. 

often big smooth players look like that. As if the game is easy on low effort.  

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

if he starts separating and using his reach he would be elite. But as is he is the guy who will come out for lawler. So he isn’t at all likely to hit 700 which would be close to his entire college and pro career yards combined. 
 29 year old rookie in his 3rd year here. This is his shot to make a career for him self. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I suspect they will go back to using him on teams only if he is the extra wr. They don’t usually have the starting WRs play teams. 

mccrae didn’t get any pre season action. He may just be getting reps to get sharp. 

often big smooth players look like that. As if the game is easy on low effort.  

if he starts separating and using his reach he would be elite. But as is he is the guy who will come out for lawler. So he isn’t at all likely to hit 700 which would be close to his entire college and pro career yards combined. 
 29 year old rookie in his 3rd year here. This is his shot to make a career for him self. 

He's no Lawler for sure, pretty much every CFL receiver save a couple are in the same boat. My point is that he is doing about as well as one should expect from a backup receiver given his limited playing time thus far and that IF he is not playing this weekend it is unlikely it is because the Bombers are unhappy with his play or that somebody else has passed him on the DC. Guy is doing what we are asking him to do. Could it be better? Sure he could be putting up 150 yds a game....is that a realistic ask...not really.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

"To be fair", Zach's ball placement has not always been great for Agudosi to take advantage of, when passing to the tall guy in the corner, the ball should never be underthrown.

Agudosi has that feel if we are patient with his growth we will reap the benefits.

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Agudosi has that feel if we are patient with his growth we will reap the benefits.

I agree - let's give the kid some time to develop. Way too early to give up on him. However with Lawler back he probably will only get some spot playing time. The question is - When is Lawler back?

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

"To be fair", Zach's ball placement has not always been great for Agudosi to take advantage of, when passing to the tall guy in the corner, the ball should never be underthrown.

But if it's under thrown and you're an athletic 6'6 receiver you should be able to adjust and make the db take a penalty. 

The guy is an athletic 6'6... he's open on every play even if the db is there with him. I just don't see him making the kind of plays enough that he is here to make. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe it's scheme, but I want to see more. Guy is playing in Lawlers spot at the moment, perfect opportunity to grab hold and never let go.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But if it's under thrown and you're an athletic 6'6 receiver you should be able to adjust and make the db take a penalty. 

The guy is an athletic 6'6... he's open on every play even if the db is there with him. I just don't see him making the kind of plays enough that he is here to make. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe it's scheme, but I want to see more. Guy is playing in Lawlers spot at the moment, perfect opportunity to grab hold and never let go.

He may be in Lawler's spot, but he's not playing the same role.

He's getting a limited number of snaps as the first receiver to be rotated out in bigger packages. He's been hit for big plays when we need them, which is exactly what he's probably being asked to do. He is not playing the Lawler role where he's going to get looked at fist 12 times/game. 

On 2023-06-27 at 4:06 PM, wbbfan said:

Having Eli and Dobson as the subs to come in for short yardage is an insane amount of beef. If Jackson is still dressed that’s just over powered. Short yardage crew should be automatic for 2 or 3 yards at that point. though hopefully that extra beef means we won’t carry Jackson. 

I Really want to see Lawson and fox side by side. Good luck dealing with Willy and Habba off the edges when those two collapse the pocket and eat 3 o linemen’s lunch. 

if our defence could just get healthy.  Hansen Habba jeffcoat Willy Lawson Thomas fox with kyrie biggie the Canadians and clements at lber. Then 7 deep at the 5 cover spots with the possibility of ford coming back. Man that’s a really good roster. 

I know its crazy but I'm a huge fan of Jackson...and the navy seals!

58 minutes ago, ddanger said:

I know its crazy but I'm a huge fan of Jackson...and the navy seals!

I like what he does in the run game. Tremendous blocker. They gotta find a dl spot for him or he has to perform like miller lite on cover team though. 

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I like what he does in the run game. Tremendous blocker. They gotta find a dl spot for him or he has to perform like miller lite on cover team though. 

I would actually argue the complete opposite. 

He consistantly whiffs on blocks or gets bowled over blocking for the run game. 

However, he did actually make a tackle on punt cover last week, but I'd much rather have Cole there when he is back to 100%