3 stars plus hh bc kicked our @$$

wbbfan

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A few things for me on the offense...

There's a 0% chance the Bombers are running any called run plays for Collaros.  So why would we ever go empty backfield?  Why would we ever go empty backfield with no jet or orbit motion through the backfield or coming behind Collaros?  Now all 12 players on the defense KNOW 100% we are passing from the pocket if we are empty with no motion.  HUGE advantage for the pass rush we're just handing over.   Especially when you're 15-30 minutes in to this game and you realize that the BC DL is killing our tackles with speed rush.

Oliviera was gashing them over and over, and then we go empty a bunch.  Don't like it.  That's a schematic flaw, poor execution by a playcaller.  Shouldn't even have empty plays on the call sheet.  Now plays where Oliviera motions out to lead block or seal edge for a jet sweep...nice play.

Where was Augustine?  He needs a role in the offense.  He's not an every down player, but he's useful.  If they don't think he is, get an American back on and with the new rules we can slip him in almost half the time without subbing out an American.  Agudosi can sit.  He has exactly one route he can get open on and his hands are suspect.  Nice luxury piece, but not bringing anything we're missing and BOLO/Murphy will be fine as our 5th option.  We need the help in the backfield.  If not RB, we need another American DB, DE, LB on the roster.

Where's the option run package?  Hallmark of the success of this offense.  Streveler, even Prukop, the change of pace set, the stuff where you just get the OL and everyone rolling people over, the stuff the D can't really prep for.  Pigrome can be a weapon.

I think our D is extremely out of sync, very young, very new to each other and in many cases Canadian football.  Lots of work for the coaches there.  No depth and that makes it way harder because we have at least a couple guys who are likely not CFL level players out there and maybe more as we get more of a look.  Bennett shouldn't be out there, both corners were terrible.  Fox and Schmekel aren't getting many reps so we're running the starting DL into the ground which doesn't really fit what has made this overall scheme successful back to when Hall arrived here.

Like the DB on the attempted interception trying to keep two feet in instead of one as an example of new to the CFL?

After a game like that, sure is hard to find much to be pleased about, but here we go...

1. Clements. Two sacks I think. Really stood out.

2. Sheahan the punter. His directional kicking, and the variety of punts he can execute makes it easy to see why Legs was cut.

3. Holm. He's really improved from last year.

HH. The fans who stayed to the end

39 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Like the DB on the attempted interception trying to keep two feet in instead of one as an example of new to the CFL?

Totally agree with your post. #20 started out strong, offence looked sort of okay, and then the wheels fell off, 20 vanished, and disaster arrived.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A few things for me on the offense...

There's a 0% chance the Bombers are running any called run plays for Collaros.  So why would we ever go empty backfield?  Why would we ever go empty backfield with no jet or orbit motion through the backfield or coming behind Collaros?  Now all 12 players on the defense KNOW 100% we are passing from the pocket if we are empty with no motion.  HUGE advantage for the pass rush we're just handing over.   Especially when you're 15-30 minutes in to this game and you realize that the BC DL is killing our tackles with speed rush.

Oliviera was gashing them over and over, and then we go empty a bunch.  Don't like it.  That's a schematic flaw, poor execution by a playcaller.  Shouldn't even have empty plays on the call sheet.  Now plays where Oliviera motions out to lead block or seal edge for a jet sweep...nice play.

Where was Augustine?  He needs a role in the offense.  He's not an every down player, but he's useful.  If they don't think he is, get an American back on and with the new rules we can slip him in almost half the time without subbing out an American.  Agudosi can sit.  He has exactly one route he can get open on and his hands are suspect.  Nice luxury piece, but not bringing anything we're missing and BOLO/Murphy will be fine as our 5th option.  We need the help in the backfield.  If not RB, we need another American DB, DE, LB on the roster.

Where's the option run package?  Hallmark of the success of this offense.  Streveler, even Prukop, the change of pace set, the stuff where you just get the OL and everyone rolling people over, the stuff the D can't really prep for.  Pigrome can be a weapon.

I think our D is extremely out of sync, very young, very new to each other and in many cases Canadian football.  Lots of work for the coaches there.  No depth and that makes it way harder because we have at least a couple guys who are likely not CFL level players out there and maybe more as we get more of a look.  Bennett shouldn't be out there, both corners were terrible.  Fox and Schmekel aren't getting many reps so we're running the starting DL into the ground which doesn't really fit what has made this overall scheme successful back to when Hall arrived here.

Nailed it on all points. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Actually this is a good point. Considering some of the holes the run game was getting a back like Augustine might have been able to make some big things happen if used.

even more so if Brady isn’t 100%. Take a bit of the load off his shoulders. But some two back sets and a sub package to get some big gains on the ground would be huge. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

u know inside the walls of the stadium the team has already moved on

Idk. And idk if they should. That kind of loss doesn’t just go away. Its stink has to be washed off in success. I think a lot of guys will have wounded egos hurt pride and a disappointment in not protecting home field not to mention that poor effort. 

It’s really hard to sustain 40+. Points a game on offence. Usually a big out put is followed by a dip game. But usually a dip is followed by another surge especially from a good offence. 
I think we will see the statement game of statement games from this bomber squad vs Montreal. 

there's a lot of talk about how the offense was terrible last night, but I think it's important to acknowledge that the offense, as a whole, never had a chance to do anything because Zach was under duress the entire night. He had no time to think even with a simple 3 on 5 rush against. I don't know enough to know if it's scheme or personnel, but the game was lost along the LOS on offense....

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In my opinion the game was lost when they decided to not run the ball anymore, Brady was rolling then they got away from running. I know it's hard for some to admit but Collaros had a bad game. He missed open receivers 

I don't think many are denying that....He just didnt have an answer...and it happens to the best of them

And crappy play...uncharacteristic penalty issues....poor scheme...fact of the matter midway through the 4th quarter we basically were still in it based on the score...and one lucky break...big play....could have totally turned it around....BC gets all the credit...they came in...got the job done....but the Cup isnt won in June...

Edited by Booch

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there's a lot of talk about how the offense was terrible last night, but I think it's important to acknowledge that the offense, as a whole, never had a chance to do anything because Zach was under duress the entire night. He had no time to think even with a simple 3 on 5 rush against. I don't know enough to know if it's scheme or personnel, but the game was lost along the LOS on offense....

Yep. Combination of things. Collaros was missing deep balls he hits a lot but he was under a lot of pressure. We did some jail break screen stuff and bc had the plays dead read every time. Other wise they knew perfectly how to attack our ol. Perks of having couture. That works once but not repeatedly. Not as long as we evolve and grow because of it. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. Combination of things. Collaros was missing deep balls he hits a lot but he was under a lot of pressure. We did some jail break screen stuff and bc had the plays dead read every time. Other wise they knew perfectly how to attack our ol. Perks of having couture. That works once but not repeatedly. Not as long as we evolve and grow because of it. 

I've seen this a couple times, but this seems overstated. There's nothing he can teach them that they don't already know from film study. Couture giving them "intel" doesn't just suddenly obliterate the best OL the league has seen in years. There's a lot more to it than that. Something was really really wrong. 

going away from Brady and the run, when Lions could not stop it is not great.

reminds me of putting Prukop in instead of collaros, in the  red zone, in the Grey Cup.

taking the b.c. offside penalty when it was third down. what was that?

and no attempt to use pigrome. 

almost trying too hard to be  the smartest sometimes.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I've seen this a couple times, but this seems overstated. There's nothing he can teach them that they don't already know from film study. Couture giving them "intel" doesn't just suddenly obliterate the best OL the league has seen in years. There's a lot more to it than that. Something was really really wrong. 

Agreed, otherwise you would have seen similar results when they picked up Chungh.

6 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I can’t think of any highlights by the Blue. Not one. I don’t count a well placed punt, a field goal, or sack as highlight worthy. 

Long bomb to Agudosi and some nice runs from Brady O........ maybe a couple sacks on D. There's not much to choose from, that's for sure.... a rough go. Hoping that's the last time we see something like that this season. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

You’d be surprised. Look into chip Kellys late days at Oregon. When it got out how the rb position and ol tipped the play. It’s Iike that but faster. Thing about seldom seen plays and packages is they are all well practiced. Stuff that’s only on film 2-5 plays last year couture knew inside and out. Not just that but how to exploit specific guys. They 100% knew how to attack each guy in a way no one else has done at any point in the past few years. Including those players and that coaching staff. 

12 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I can’t think of any highlights by the Blue. Not one. I don’t count a well placed punt, a field goal, or sack as highlight worthy. 

Habbas sack, a bunch of Brady runs, the deep hall to Agudosi two of grants returns, couple other sacks, the lbers each had a play or two that was really good too. Just easily washed away in a thorough butt kicking.  

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

going away from Brady and the run, when Lions could not stop it is not great.

reminds me of putting Prukop in instead of collaros, in the  red zone, in the Grey Cup.

taking the b.c. offside penalty when it was third down. what was that?

and no attempt to use pigrome. 

almost trying too hard to be  the smartest sometimes.

It's almost like the Lions knew that Buck would pull them away from the run.  They freakin' knew it.

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Agreed, otherwise you would have seen similar results when they picked up Chungh.

They didn’t have the horses to do it. They haven’t had a good dl till part way through last year. The year before it was that all rookie dl. 

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

They didn’t have the horses to do it. They haven’t had a good dl till part way through last year. The year before it was that all rookie dl. 

I can now see why Kongbo wasn't happy with the reps. he was getting, he ranks well down their list in effective pass rush ability even among their Natl. talent.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Have to hand it to Amar Doman - he's really stepped up and taken the Lions from the point of almost bankruptcy to a real contender in BC, and is building interest in BC for the Lions which was basically non-existent the past 10 years.  He's got a great facility in Vancouver to build up the team from too, unlike Calgary where they are playing in a decaying disaster.  I really enjoy watching football in Vancouver on a nice night with the roof open.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Have to hand it to Amar Doman - he's really stepped up and taken the Lions from the point of almost bankruptcy to a real contender in BC, and is building interest in BC for the Lions which was basically non-existent the past 10 years.  He's got a great facility in Vancouver to build up the team from too, unlike Calgary where they are playing in a decaying disaster.  I really enjoy watching football in Vancouver on a nice night with the roof open.

Yup he's been great for football and making it relevant again in B.C....great for the league and a few other organizations should take note and follow his lead

MTL with new owner seem to be in the beginning stages of that too...and their owner has said he is gonna put money and effort into it...those corporate entities in T.O and CGY (tho more a private corp)  should just eff off already 

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup he's been great for football and making it relevant again in B.C....great for the league and a few other organizations should take note and follow his lead

MTL with new owner seem to be in the beginning stages of that too...and their owner has said he is gonna put money and effort into it...those corporate entities in T.O and CGY (tho more a private corp)  should just eff off already 

Doman is also trying to get football reinstated at Simon Fraser. Good for him.

42 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I can now see why Kongbo wasn't happy with the reps. he was getting, he ranks well down their list in effective pass rush ability even among their Natl. talent.

Not wrong. But also they rotated all the guys a whole lot. It’s smart and effective but you gotta have a lot of faith in your ability to produce high sacks in low reps to get paid. And kongbo is more of a rep eating gap stopping contain sound guy then some one who can pad their sack total. 

36 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

100%. They failed to turn that team around with soo much free agency money and now since he has come in the team has gotten dramatically better. And making the games more desirable to locals  

31 minutes ago, Booch said:

Can we all pitch in and buy the Argos and have him own them too? And Calgary lol. 

6 hours ago, Booch said:

I don't think many are denying that....He just didnt have an answer...and it happens to the best of them

And crappy play...uncharacteristic penalty issues....poor scheme...fact of the matter midway through the 4th quarter we basically were still in it based on the score...and one lucky break...big play....could have totally turned it around....BC gets all the credit...they came in...got the job done....but the Cup isnt won in June...

Ask any Rider fan. They'll always win in June. Problem is the GC is in November.