Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Moving on to Edmonton, folks. I have no desire to engage in debates over linguistical nuances or @GCn20 's fervent fabrications of fanatical falsehoods.

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

So....

While I generally find 3downnation pretty amateur hour, I thought this was a great read:

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/08/bens-breakdown-how-the-bombers-used-data-from-their-first-game-to-beat-the-lions-deep-in-the-rematch/

Great read. 3DN has the odd gem. Sadly I think in some respects they're the best media outlet following the cfl, largely just due to their tight focus compared to other periodicals.

Guys .. I'm going to ask we leave the FB situation off this discussion board.  

With that said, I'm going to prune a few messages and will hopefully not have to revisit this.  I would have stepped in much sooner but have been incommunicado the last few days and access has been spotty.

3 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Guys .. I'm going to ask we leave the FB situation off this discussion board.  

With that said, I'm going to prune a few messages and will hopefully not have to revisit this.  I would have stepped in much sooner but have been incommunicado the last few days and access has been spotty.

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Did not realize that today is the 10 year anniversary of Joe Mack and Butchko getting fired until I noticed my Facebook memories.

Happy Anniversary, everyone!

Magnificent piece by Our Man Tait. So incredibly thankful for Wade and The Trinity....

On 2023-08-08 at 12:44 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

So....

While I generally find 3downnation pretty amateur hour, I thought this was a great read:

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/08/bens-breakdown-how-the-bombers-used-data-from-their-first-game-to-beat-the-lions-deep-in-the-rematch/

Agreed- it was the most interesting thing to ever come off of that site. 

Derel Walker has been released by the Riders. How the mighty have fallen. A  knee injury he suffered in game 1 might be the end of his career. Remember when he was the most feared deep threat in the CFL catching for Mike Reilley in Edmonton? As well as the most anticipated free agent coming onto the market in his prime? IIRC, he used the Bombers as leverage to get an even bigger contract out of the Argos.. Those days are over.

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/09/saskatchewan-roughriders-release-veteran-receiver-derel-walker/

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Derel Walker has been released by the Riders. How the mighty have fallen. A  knee injury he suffered in game 1 might be the end of his career. Remember when he was the most feared deep threat in the CFL catching for Mike Reilley in Edmonton? As well as the most anticipated free agent coming onto the market in his prime? IIRC, he used the Bombers as leverage to get an even bigger contract out of the Argos.. Those days are over.

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/09/saskatchewan-roughriders-release-veteran-receiver-derel-walker/

well the young guys actually have potential an upside and are obviously cheaper....first semblance of a smart move made there in yrs....Mind you that receiving corp scares nobody...And feeding BANE 85% of your pass attempts is not a recipe for success either....sure glad they have useless coaches there, as it plays a major part of keeping them in the dumpster

2 hours ago, Booch said:

well the young guys actually have potential an upside and are obviously cheaper....first semblance of a smart move made there in yrs....Mind you that receiving corp scares nobody...And feeding BANE 85% of your pass attempts is not a recipe for success either....sure glad they have useless coaches there, as it plays a major part of keeping them in the dumpster

I think it’s pretty fair to say Shawn Bane is a top level receiver at this point 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think it’s pretty fair to say Shawn Bane is a top level receiver at this point 

quite possibly....would like to see what he does when there is another receiver who garners attention by a defence tho....a third of a season in my books doesnt elevate you into top level....especially when you get 85% of the targets each game....he is the best they have tho I will give him that....but thats like being the tallest little person too tho......One of the free agent signings actually was worth it for them tho so far

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

quite possibly....would like to see what he does when there is another receiver who garners attention by a defence tho....a third of a season in my books doesnt elevate you into top level....especially when you get 85% of the targets each game....he is the best they have tho I will give him that....but thats like being the tallest little person too tho......One of the free agent signings actually was worth it for them tho so far

I would hate to see how bad their awful passing game would be without Bane. He is a good receiver. However, as you alluded to...he has to maintain it.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

I would hate to see how bad their awful passing game would be without Bane. He is a good receiver. 

no doubt...Weineke has proven to be exactly what he is...A 1 yr flash in the pan...has done diddly for last 3 yrs now...and shows no sign of turning that around...Walker too was a laughable signing....but when you are scrambling to try and get the fan base excited, and you have nothing in the cupboard....u scramble for scraps and retreads 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

no doubt...Weineke has proven to be exactly what he is...A 1 yr flash in the pan...has done diddly for last 3 yrs now...and shows no sign of turning that around...Walker too was a laughable signing....but when you are scrambling to try and get the fan base excited, and you have nothing in the cupboard....u scramble for scraps and retreads 

Put weineke on the bombers and he’d still make a ton of big catches. He’s a guy who needs to be fed 50/50 balls. And he’s not in an offense to do that with regularity. He’s no Kenny lawler, more a poor man’s version. 
 That said hed have no chance in the real world of being a starter here. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Put weineke on the bombers and he’d still make a ton of big catches. He’s a guy who needs to be fed 50/50 balls. And he’s not in an offense to do that with regularity. He’s no Kenny lawler, more a poor man’s version. 
 That said hed have no chance in the real world of being a starter here. 

he's more an extemly broke man's version of Ellingson...Minus better than average speed....

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

People are going to hate on this but Tevin Jones is what I wish we had in Bailey's spot.  Aggressive, violent, strong hands attacks the ball in the air, blocks, can also get it done downfield which is what we're missing with Bailey.  He's kind of a cross of Bailey and Darvin Adams.

I like him as well. No hate from me.

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

People are going to hate on this but Tevin Jones is what I wish we had in Bailey's spot.  Aggressive, violent, strong hands attacks the ball in the air, blocks, can also get it done downfield which is what we're missing with Bailey.  He's kind of a cross of Bailey and Darvin Adams.

but he also makes huge mental gaffs....is that a forever thing...who knows...but he been doing it since last yr still...so not sold on him....I don't recall a Bailey mental lapse out there very often if ever. I pretty sure there isn't a more ferocious and intense blocker than Bailey either....Just last game alone there were several instances of him totally taking out Betts...and another guy whom name escapes me...every game he is making noticeable blocking plays for others success....I will rewatch games and focus on certain things...and games where he isnt targeted I watch his role...he's lights out every game....plus he can run with ball out of backfield.....I havn't seen that out of Jones, nor the tenacious blocking

Further to that...when TSN camera's caught his pathetic comment in regards to Fine missing him on a pass...Jones was heard saying stuff basically tossing him under the bus cause he was open and missed him, and used the word that it was "Bullsh!t"...not a loser I would want on my team

Funny story: My soon to be father in law lives in Winnipeg, he wants my fiancé and I to come out for the Banjo Bowl. He’s obviously a huge Bombers fan, and says if the Riders keep the loss to 20 points, dinner is on him! My fiancé isn’t a huge football fan, so she says she wants free dinner regardless.

I’m hoping we can make it out, fiancé is in school, so it makes it tougher. But flying Calgary to Winnipeg might not be too tough.

4 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Funny story: My soon to be father in law lives in Winnipeg, he wants my fiancé and I to come out for the Banjo Bowl. He’s obviously a huge Bombers fan, and says if the Riders keep the loss to 20 points, dinner is on him! My fiancé isn’t a huge football fan, so she says she wants free dinner regardless.

I’m hoping we can make it out, fiancé is in school, so it makes it tougher. But flying Calgary to Winnipeg might not be too tough.

Your prospective father-in-law is a wise man.  Being a Bomber fan offers a huge advantage in life, so i would listen to him whenever he offers advice.