CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

On 2023-09-29 at 6:11 PM, Brandon said:

Nope this is revisionist history,   dude was a headache prior to the kneeling.    2013 he was lightning and everything was looking real good,  2014 he had an ego and was lazy and was butting heads with Harbaugh and skipping practices and workouts and was getting out of sh ape.   2015 with the new coach he woudln't listen and ended up losing the starting job to Blaine Gabbert and then got himself hurt missing the rest of the season.  Was a real a-hole that year.  During the off season the 49ers fired the coach and hired Chip Kelly who then said for 2016 it would be an open competition for starter between him and Blaine Gabbert and Kap flipped out and threw another hissy fit.   He did come into that season in shape but then did the kneeling thing in preseason and the rest is history.  

The dude was locker room cancer and not liked at all by his team mates and lost his job to Blaine friggin Gabbert!      

Only after the kneeling thing did he have support (and that was for the cause not for the man himself) so people like to revise history as in making the guy seem like he was beloved when in fact he wasn't.     Why he didn't play after 2016 that's a different story,  but prior to that he was on the outs for his poor work ethic.  

He really wasn't that good of a QB imo.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Saw Crue recently...they horrible live now... Vince Neal is utterly embarrassing 

Some of the clips online are just embarrassing,   I almost want to say that even I can do better then him these days and it wouldn't be a stretch to say so.   

Same goes with David Lee Roth and his live shows from the last few years,  it's just absolutely awful.  I'd rather those guys lip sync so that they don't completely make a fool out of themselves.  

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Some of the clips online are just embarrassing,   I almost want to say that even I can do better then him these days and it wouldn't be a stretch to say so.   

Same goes with David Lee Roth and his live shows from the last few years,  it's just absolutely awful.  I'd rather those guys lip sync so that they don't completely make a fool out of themselves.  

Yeah... definitely not worth the money u pay for the show...it's bad

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He really wasn't that good of a QB imo.

Maybe the most overrated qb in 49ers history. Kap was garbage his final season. To me, that marine who suggested he kneel really ****** over his career. All that publicity went to his head. 

Check this out:

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe the most overrated qb in 49ers history. Kap was garbage his final season. To me, that marine who suggested he kneel really ****** over his career. All that publicity went to his head. 

Check this out:

Rating a quarterback on the basis of one play is silly. I should think that every season there are boneheaded plays by many, many players.

43 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Rating a quarterback on the basis of one play is silly. I should think that every season there are boneheaded plays by many, many players.

Well, this was the bonehead of all boneheaded plays. A starting NFL QB earning huge bucks somehow misses not one but TWO wide open receivers in busted coverage & calls a running play. He never even saw it because he wasn't looking. His wideouts are frantically jumping trying to get his attention to no avail. As a qb he took the play off. It was just a simple handoff. No need to go through any reads or progressions to see what the D was actually up to. He was being lazy. Wow, I just don't get the freaking excuses some people have for this guy, He couldn't read defenses. Kneeling just put a fork in his NFL career that was already on the decline. 

14 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Aw ****- that sucks. 

He was a good egg. RIP to a CFL and rider legend.

Yeah, sad news. 

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Made me start thinking about guys like Ploen... who's even older. Thankful for all their contributions, on and off the field. 

Now, you have me reminiscing. We didn't have any technology back then when I was a kid. Social media & technology wise. Most families had one small 21 inch black & white tv with rabbit ears that constantly had to be moved around for better reception. We just had 3 channels, CBC, CTV & KCND in Pembina, ND that was an ABC station but was beamed directly at Winnipeg.

If we saw 3 to 4 televised Bomber away games it was a good season. Generally, it was only a couple. The Bombers were perennial also rans in the West so they were on tv the least of the Western Conference teams. The good teams like Calgary & Saskatchewan were featured more than us. So, I saw more of George Reed, Ronnie Lancaster, Peter Liske & Wayne Harris than that of Ken Ploen, Dave Raimey & Ken Nielsen. It could be 2 months between Bomber home games on CTV or CBC in a given season.

The tv contract wasn't very good compared to the coverage we get now on TSN. As much as it pains me to say that because there's a lot of things wrong with the way TSN covers the league, However, at least every game is now televised. So, I can safely say that in reality we are spoiled in comparison to what the tv coverage was say back in the 60's. 

What we did have back then was blanket coverage in the local media by the newspapers, tv & radio rightsholder depending on the year like CKY. CBWT & CJOB. As well as great writers covering the team like Don Blanchard & John Robertson of the Free Press & Jack Matheson of the old Tribune which we don't have anymore. The CFL & especially Bomber players were bigger than life to me as a kid. They were true superstars. It didn't matter if the Bombers were a good or bad team to me. I loved them anyway starting at age 10 in 1965.

George Reed & Ken Ploen were two of those players. Both were stand up, polite, first class men men who were true pros & represented their teams so well. Bigger than life & more important to me than the superstars in other sports like Mickey Mantle in baseball. Rocket Richard in hockey & Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas in football.

Those two & others worked & played hard to build the CFL we have today. I'm not going to get into the problems the league has today but it's safe to say that without the older players like George Reed, Ron Lancaster, Ken Ploen, Jack Jacobs, Joe Kapp, Willie Flemimg, Wayne Harris, Don Luzzi, Jackie Parker & Johnny Bright we'd have no CFL today.

RIP, George Reed. , 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-09-30 at 9:31 PM, bustamente said:

Was Blink 182 busy 🙃

No. Their tour breaks between late October and February.

I know, I know...

21 hours ago, bustamente said:

Maidens my all time favorite band, have seen them 7 times and every show was great.

Never been to a bad Maiden show.

22 hours ago, bustamente said:

Maidens my all time favorite band, have seen them 7 times and every show was great.

Easily my favourite in concert band and in my top 5 all time. 
 Personally I think a classic metal show at half time would go over great, the cfls main demographic is pretty much the same as those bands. I also think a rap/hip hop/r n b show would go over great with the younger fans and player base. 

Damn shame about reed. One of the leagues finest to ever play. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Easily my favourite in concert band and in my top 5 all time. 
 Personally I think a classic metal show at half time would go over great, the cfls main demographic is pretty much the same as those bands. I also think a rap/hip hop/r n b show would go over great with the younger fans and player base. 

Damn shame about reed. One of the leagues finest to ever play. 

was gonna say same.....and was gonna saywhy didnt they get local arwa boy Drake...isn't he all the rage in that genre??...and Canadian to boot?

A classic metal collaboration like Anthrax and Public Enemy doing Bring tha Noise  would be the bomb in my opinion....seen them doing that show together back in the day in Oakland...best time ever!

Just now, Booch said:

was gonna say same.....and was gonna saywhy didnt they get local arwa boy Drake...isn't he all the rage in that genre??...and Canadian to boot?

A classic metal collaboration like Anthrax and Public Enemy doing Bring tha Noise  would be the bomb in my opinion....seen them doing that show together back in the day in Oakland...best time ever!

That’s a great point. And drake has done a little bit with the Argos as well. Maybe he wouldn’t want to perform half time for Hamilton if he’s actually a fan, but that would be a huge get. The weeknd is also from Toronto and huge in the rnb scene. 
 That’d be siiick. Colab shows like that are perfect for half time shows. 

Either way the league would be by far best off by presenting diverse options (diversity is strength campaign) to grow the viewership each year. 

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s a great point. And drake has done a little bit with the Argos as well. Maybe he wouldn’t want to perform half time for Hamilton if he’s actually a fan, but that would be a huge get. The weeknd is also from Toronto and huge in the rnb scene. 
 That’d be siiick. Colab shows like that are perfect for half time shows. 

Either way the league would be by far best off by presenting diverse options (diversity is strength campaign) to grow the viewership each year. 

yup....hoilding off on the country now until "after" 2025 Cup would work for me...and prob huge gobs of fans

George Reed.....one heckuva back...In his prime he was a lot like Brady....bulling type of runner....I remember one player saying that you would never want to ever try and one arm tackle the guy, unless you wanted to lose the use of that arm..... He punished defenders leaving them in his wake....He was that strong that nobody wanted to tackle him and he definitely was a force for the Riders along with Lancaster for quite awhile....................Rip Reed.....you were a good one

When I heard the Green Day news... I immediately thought that is a huge get for the CFL... they're not the at top of the rock charts right now... but they are still one of the biggest rock bands in the world over the last 30 years... well done CFL...

I hope we get something even close to that good for 2025...