CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Just now, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Who said anything about retirement?  Teams release aging vets all the time.  Hitchcock and Morrale where released from Hamilton once upon a time, due to age.

I don't see Yosh being released until they replace the RG. Let's see what happens there first. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Who said anything about retirement?  Teams release aging vets all the time.  Hitchcock and Morrale where released from Hamilton once upon a time, due to age.

and sucking bad

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't see Yosh being released until they replace the RG. Let's see what happens there first. 

Yosh is still young for an Olineman....and I could see him shift inside for his golden yrs...a mauling monster 

Kola has been a stop gap at best and he's been effective when the play on either side of him has been up to snuff but this year, you see the whole interior of the line getting exposed.  

It's not just guys coming clean but teams getting pressure / get home when only rushing three - when has that happened consistently over the last couple of years?

As much as I love Hardrick's attitude, energy and typical level of play .. I don't know that he came into camp in the best possible shape and it shows a bit.

The fact we run max protect as often as we do (and even had 7 linemen out there in the big fourth quarter of the Calgary game) is concerning to me .. it should be concerning to O'Shea and Pierce as well.  

17 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

If it happens all the time, why are you using an example from 2007?  Not saying it doesn't as it's part of the game - just a strange example especially given that both those guys chose to be released: 

https://www.cfl.ca/2007/06/19/ticats_release_hitchcock__morreale/ 

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced on Tuesday that after discussing all options with the players involved, Canadian linebacker Rob Hitchcock and Canadian wide receiver Mike Morreale have chosen to be released by the team.

We have offered both Mike and Rob an opportunity to remain with our organization and they have indicated that they would like some time to reflect on the offer.”

52 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...I will have to watch Yosh this week more closely but I dont think his demise is as bad as what people are saying...first 2 games he was pancaking guys left right and center...u dont fall off a cliff after game 2...I think its more scheme and what we trying to do more than anything....I can also see him shifted to guard at some point with Gray sliding out, and Dobson at his guard spot...not saying this yr, but maybe next....Cause next yr will be the yr we see the switch at center and guard with Dobson and Eli...if it doesn't happen this yr

I think a line this yr of Bryant/Dobson/Eli/Neuf/Yoshi with Gray as the 6th would do wonders....and no need to to dress that 7th guy if we have another Canadian on the PR that was useful and actually used...Kelly would be a start seeing as he has been shifted to the PR

Nuef has struggled a lot imo. He's getting flat out beat, often. That and there seems to be a bit of miscommunication between him and Kola sometimes. You can see them discussing something after Collaros is on his ass.

3 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Kola has been a stop gap at best and he's been effective when the play on either side of him has been up to snuff but this year, you see the whole interior of the line getting exposed.  

It's not just guys coming clean but teams getting pressure / get home when only rushing three - when has that happened consistently over the last couple of years?

As much as I love Hardrick's attitude, energy and typical level of play .. I don't know that he came into camp in the best possible shape and it shows a bit.

The fact we run max protect as often as we do (and even had 7 linemen out there in the big fourth quarter of the Calgary game) is concerning to me .. it should be concerning to O'Shea and Pierce as well.  

The fact that they are sending out max protect so often shows they know there's an issue.

They gotta come up with a different (and better) solution, however. 

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The fact that they are sending out max protect so often shows they know there's an issue.

shuffle th deck chairs maybe...even if it just one chair....novel concept

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't see any change in their protections and scheme.  I don't believe they feel there is a problem.  Max protect has always been used a bunch in the offense with a running back and one of Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky.  Max protect isn't a problem, it's not a like a QB is reading 6 routes in a play.

Guys getting beat 1 on 1 is a problem, even 3 on 5 quite often.

I'd much rather them run their offense out of max protect every passing down than go with the stupid empty look, even empty with 6 OL on the line.  Pass rushers are just teeing off on that.  Collaros isn't going to run so they know what's coming.  We barely run screens or jet motion too.

On 2023-07-19 at 10:01 AM, Booch said:

and sucking bad

Yosh is still young for an Olineman....and I could see him shift inside for his golden yrs...a mauling monster 

33 isn’t young for an ol especially for an imp ol in the cfl. 113 starts in 8 years is a great career. To expect 10+ years out of an ol body is crazy. Some guys hold up like that but very few. 
 I love yoshi and I hope he has lots of football left in him. He really needs to be a coach / community ambassador after he retires. 
Idk he really didn’t take to being a guard here early In his career or with bc. He might not be a guy to play inside. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

well...if longterm we now where Lemon will be in no time as we sit on our hands...Unless Haba isnt seriously injured and just put there...just in case

Or we put Habba on the pr when he’s back so we can keep an imp fb on the roster and ott claims him. Lol 

On 2023-07-19 at 3:01 PM, Booch said:

When they run 3 rushers...and twist or loop a guy in the middle our center looks lost...thats where a lot of the breach is....and then ZC has nowhere to go but out side and hope that the end is tied up

Tbh a lot of teams get good pressure with 30 front in the cfl. It’s seldom enough used that ols don’t seem to manage it well. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

well...if longterm we now where Lemon will be in no time as we sit on our hands...Unless Haba isnt seriously injured and just put there...just in case

Depending on Haba's Hammy and the results of today's Thursday Thriller we might need him more. How about we  organize a Lemon Party to entice Shawn to our wonderful city?

7:30 at the Donut Box tonight (6:30pm Central... sorry)

The Toronto Argonauts (4-0) @ The Hamilton Tiger Cats (2-3)

Streaks: Argos 4W, TiCats 2W

Last Meeting: Week 2, 32-14 Argo win at BMO

Significant: Hamilton will be starting QB3 Taylor Powell (BLM and Matthew Shiltz are injured)... TiCats allowed nearly 500 net yards against the Elks last week... Chad Kelly achieved this season's highest PFF rating for any player in the win over the Al's last week (despite throwing one truly awful pick)... the last time the Argos were 3-0 was 1991 (GC Win), last time 4-0 was 1983 (GC Win) last time 5-0 1960 (10-4 lost Eastern Final)

EDIT: TiCats Suck

Edited by bluto
because they do

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

what part of this would make even the half intelligent fan fee good?....good grief....our moaning and groaning is peanuts compared to this atrocity

Am I the only one who reads it as Band-Aid instead of Bandy when looking at their o-line?  Don't think it's a far stretch, given their history over the last few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

3-15 here they come!

Imagie a worse record than last yr?...that would be so funny...and the loss of HARRIS excuse is just that...save for a few drives...he wasn't really lighting it up there...let alone putting up points and his injury was just a matter of time...smoke and mirrors there and a lucky sched to open the season...a team with a record over .500 that is actually good would not have a negative point differential