2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

Here is my take on O'Day's offseason so far:

25 pending FA's going into FA spells rebuild, so what does he do? He puts out a massive offer sheet to a 37 year old QB that MIGHT have a good year left in him but probably not two. Has done nothing with his incredibly inept OL so far, but tried and failed to get Desjarlais. Is reportedly wooing Eugene Lewis, which would be a great add, but he currently has no other receivers at all worth anything really. So, to date he has half a DL, no LBers, a secondary that got lit up like a Christmas tree last year, a historically inept OL that he has not addressed whatsoever, No playmaking receivers....hell no real receivers at all, and potentially an ancient QB that has been riddled with inconsistency the past 2-3 years, a coaching staff that still hasn't been completed, a lame duck HC, and 25 spots on his roster that will be impossible to fill all through recruitment meaning he will have to overpay in FA.

This is a GM that is drowning right now and just flailing his arms and legs about as the riptide takes him out to sea.

Yep...he's killing it alright. 

Edited by GCn20

Getting Trevor Harris is way beyond what I expected for them this off season - so that's a win.

Trying to blow your wad on a receiver is the exact dumb move they did last year, but you may have needed to do that to get Harris on board.

Any meaningful success still needs to come from a re-investment in the OL, which will take years of solid drafts and a couple of FA wins.

It's the CFL, they can do it - I still don't that O'Day has the ability to, though. 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

25 pending FA's going into FA spells rebuild, so what does he do? He puts out a massive offer sheet to a 37 year old QB that MIGHT have a good year left in him but probably not two. Has done nothing with his incredibly inept OL so far, but tried and failed to get Desjarlais. Is reportedly wooing Eugene Lewis, which would be a great add, but he currently has no other receivers at all worth anything really. So, to date he has half a DL, no LBers, a secondary that got lit up like a Christmas tree last year, a historically inept OL that he has not addressed whatsoever, No playmaking receivers....hell no real receivers at all, and potentially an ancient QB that has been riddled with inconsistency the past 2-3 years, a coaching staff that still hasn't been completed, a lame duck HC, and 25 spots on his roster that will be impossible to fill all through recruitment meaning he will have to overpay in FA.

This is a GM that is drowning right now and just flailing his arms and legs about as the riptide takes him out to sea.

Drowning GIFs | Tenor

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Getting Trevor Harris is way beyond what I expected for them this off season - so that's a win.

Trying to blow your wad on a receiver is the exact dumb move they did last year, but you may have needed to do that to get Harris on board.

Any meaningful success still needs to come from a re-investment in the OL, which will take years of solid drafts and a couple of FA wins.

It's the CFL, they can do it - I still don't that O'Day has the ability to, though. 

His entire roster at every position group is in shambles. There is absolutely no way he can make this work in one offseason. No team could. There isn't enough cap space. Therefore, the prudent thing to do would be to commit to the rebuild because that is what this is. Instead he is throwing a quarter of his cap at 3 players, one of whom is to old to be around when this rebuild is complete and happens to be the QB, hoping it will turn things around. Makes no sense and was pretty much what he did last year too. Just running it back.

Edited by GCn20

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

but may move on from Clark...cause when you have better you can....hahahahahaha

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

This is not true at all,   have you watched the guy play?     He's very average when it comes to speed.

Davis in his one season that he started 9 or so games ran for a total of 115 yards.   Cornelius this past season after starting about the same amount of games ran for 502 yards.     Davis can do a goal line plunge,  but the guy has never shown to have fast wheels ever.   He's not elusive at all also. 

His arm is also very average ,  I don't have any metrics that can show this but if you watched him play the guy is not throwing balls out like a cannon similar to Cornelius.   He's got a slightly above average arm but he's not throwing heaters at all to anyone.    

It's a misconception that the dude is some athletic beast,  I'm not sure where comes from?  

Davis career high rushing yards in college was 172 yards. 

Above average athlete who can maneuver outside the pocket and throw while on the run... Has shown the ability to pick up the first down with his feet.

Negatives -- Sub-par arm strength, doesn't get much velocity on his throws... Will struggle with his deep outs and anything down the field... Seems to float some of his deep passes, just doesn't the arm to chuck the ball down field..

https://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/qb/dominique-davis/

perhaps people are confusing him with some one else or ruby coloured glasses working their magic. Brian Bennett was much more athlete with a better arm but was still a poor man’s streveler. 

12 hours ago, Booch said:

"Trevor Harris is playing some of his best football right now" - Craig Dickenson hahahahaha

Yep. Right now. On madden, or in some beer league. Just tearing it up. 😆

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Davis career high rushing yards in college was 172 yards. 

Above average athlete who can maneuver outside the pocket and throw while on the run... Has shown the ability to pick up the first down with his feet.

Negatives -- Sub-par arm strength, doesn't get much velocity on his throws... Will struggle with his deep outs and anything down the field... Seems to float some of his deep passes, just doesn't the arm to chuck the ball down field..

https://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/qb/dominique-davis/

perhaps people are confusing him with some one else or ruby coloured glasses working their magic. Brian Bennett was much more athlete with a better arm but was still a poor man’s streveler. 

Yep. Right now. On madden, or in some beer league. Just tearing it up. 😆

trying to convince the toothless masses

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This league is run by a bunch of ass clowns.  How can you be surprised? 

This is what i was getting at.  You're affected by your view of Ambrosie. And im not a fan of him either. He's a bit of a beta. But that's a separate issue from the subject of whether the league would fold Montreal or float them for a while and find a new owner. 

Edited by Colin Unger

Sask apparently signs Weinike....makes sense and prob chose there cause it closer to home for him and folks drive up often for games...wonder what dollar value....no Geno...But better than what they have/had...now was last yr a one off....or is he in decline...guess we will see...I sure the toothless tho are singing the praises of Oday.....when he should be targeting the available Oline guys first...

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Sask apparently signs Weinike....makes sense and prob chose there cause it closer to home for him and folks drive up often for games...wonder what dollar value....no Geno...But better than what they have/had...now was last yr a one off....or is he in decline...guess we will see...I sure the toothless tho are singing the praises of Oday.....when he should be targeting the available Oline guys first...

Reddit saying 220k per. I will wait for a media confirmation though.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You are thinking they won't throw 300k+ at Lewis too? I am not so confident in O'Day's competence.

No idea. I just think now that Weineke is off the market, Lawler (at the right price) seems like a no brainer for Walters.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

That's a good get. Don't know what they'll pay but if they can get him and Lewis, they'll have two excellent receivers to trade at the deadline

You Sly Dog GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Not sure going all in on Montreal is the winning strategy thru think it is. And really if not for the ownership crisis would these guys be leaving Montreal anyway?

I think Wieneke would. He's a guy I've wanted in B&G for a couple years and watching him play in green is gonna suck. But if Harris is there, it'll suck less cause he'll be just about as effective as he was last year.