2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No matter what the final verdict it will be less than impressive for the Argos. Enjoy the win last season, it's back to obscurity this year. 

Recent history certainly points to that. I like our roster though. Particularly our strength in our National players. Usually I have quite a few bones to pick with where we are at this point in the off season. Feeling pretty good about things this year (and pehaps that ought to be setting alarm bells off!)

(And we're only obscure to the Sports Media in Southern Ontario)

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think Kelly would be a good starter for the Argos, ups and downs but a good starter.

He may become one. He certainly has a set of brass ones - got to like that in a QB.

Edited by bluto

49 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The NFL has full contact practice. Ask any guy who knows football who the guys are that get their bodies blown up in practice and you will understand that it is the PR guys. They are in as good a shape, and hit as much as the regular roster guys even without playing in the game and that is a 16 game schedule. If conditioning is a problem for him after 6 years in the NFL then that sets off alarm bells to me.

this right there...sounds like a lazy guy...and not committed...hard pass by me...for a multitude of reasons...also the Sask dline feasted early in the yr on some horrible opponents...inflated stats at best, and bulk of their sacks came in first 4..6 games....look at when Robertson came back...didnt change a thing...and would barely have had Lanier got his butt in shape

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It does but if you are the 5th dl on the roster you aren’t getting many reps. Practice isn’t stretching out your motor especially for the running you have to do in the cfl as a dl. 
 Nothing simulates or replaces in game reps. 
It’s very different demands physically. 
 You’re talking maybe 10-12 reps in a couple drills vs 50 plays plus teams. And the difference between 1 on 1s, and a couple practice snaps vs having to run all over the field. 

Personally I think tor goes after harris and trades mbt to ssk. 

To be fair we gave collaros a contract and gave up a first in doing it after what 4 games? 
 The upside is it’s not guaranteed. They can always cut him and save that sms. Free agency is looking pretty underwhelming rn 

dedicated guys in the pro...and NCAA tho who get limited reps...and are fringe guys do tons of extra work on conditioning...after practice...and on own time to be ready...as the window and shot is short and fleeting...or can come at a 4 hour notice...he just seems lazy...ZC tho was a proven entity...and the rralization he was finally healthy.....made that decision a slam dunk

46 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Davis isn't a dual threat qb though, he's a no threat qb. Doesn't wow with his legs, can't throw accurately with his arm..

This!  

Davis isn't a fast or elusive QB,  Prukop is far more mobile and slippery.    Davis has a decent but not a cannon arm either.    Davis only ability seems that he can usually stay healthy.    No idea why anyone would waste time with him outside of being a 3rd string warm body that is familiar with the game.  

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Re-read that. MBT is playingagain. IF it's in Canada it'll be in TO. But it might not be in Canada.

You reckon that he'd reach out to the Argos to inform them that he has decided to play this year, but maybe not for them? Seems weirdly passive aggressive.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

You reckon that he'd reach out to the Argos to inform them that he has decided to play this year, but maybe not for them? Seems weirdly passive aggressive.

You're assuming he reached out to the team.  The team could have just as easily called him to see what his plans are.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Apparently that's what was said, though I'd say it's an extremely low chance he ends up in another league at this point of his career. 

Unless he's got an XFL team in his home city that'll pay him big bucks.

I don't have any info on this. But I'd guess that the deal has been made. There's an utter lack of panic, speculation or urgency going on around here.

We've a couple more high profile FAs who likely will get their press releases over the next several days and then McLeod will be last.

My best guess anyhow.

5 hours ago, Geebrr said:

These are the gigantic over pays that were expected. 

The guy has done zero to deserve that pay. But, that’s what it costs to live and play there. 

Lanier sat out the second half of the season with an undisclosed injury after consulting with Duke Williams, high quality characters these are not.  The Riders final hour of desperation is about to launch.

57 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This!  

Davis isn't a fast or elusive QB,  Prukop is far more mobile and slippery.    Davis has a decent but not a cannon arm either.    Davis only ability seems that he can usually stay healthy.    No idea why anyone would waste time with him outside of being a 3rd string warm body that is familiar with the game.  

Bulldiddyshit, the last QB to throw a football 75 yds. in the air in Wpg. was Dominick Davis, he's also very fleet of foot every bit as fast as Cornelius.  Athletically he would crush most CFL Qb's, his problem has always been has a 10 cent brain to go along with his solid gold body.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Davis isn't a dual threat qb though, he's a no threat qb. Doesn't wow with his legs, can't throw accurately with his arm.... He can't continue any gameplan because he has shown he just doesn't have the ability to play qb at this level. 

yeah except that Collaros was a pretty well known CFL commodity before he got that contract too. Risk with him was always durability not ability. Everyone knew he could play at an MOP level was just a matter of whether he could stay healthy. 

Yea....not a particularly apt comparison. Comparing our Collaros contract to the Lanier's situation is a massive over reach. Also, we didn't give Collaros top QB in the land money either on his first contract with us.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Would like to see us dip our toes in the FA pool.

Pickett or Kam Kelly would be interesting for sure, but I imagine we think we’re set there with Darby. That is an old-ass group of LBs though. Don’t love that

If Bailey doesn’t come back (sad) then I’d love to see Dunbar replace him. 

I would think we will dip in a little. There are a few holes, albeit minor ones, to fill. We currently don't have a NT under contract and receiver seems thin if we stay the status quo until FA.

Edited by GCn20

55 minutes ago, bluto said:

Considering that's what the article you posted reported as happening...yes I do. It's also been clarified on the twitter machine that MBT did in fact mean IF he's in Canada it'll be in TO.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

this right there...sounds like a lazy guy...and not committed...hard pass by me...for a multitude of reasons...also the Sask dline feasted early in the yr on some horrible opponents...inflated stats at best, and bulk of their sacks came in first 4..6 games....look at when Robertson came back...didnt change a thing...and would barely have had Lanier got his butt in shape

dedicated guys in the pro...and NCAA tho who get limited reps...and are fringe guys do tons of extra work on conditioning...after practice...and on own time to be ready...as the window and shot is short and fleeting...or can come at a 4 hour notice...he just seems lazy...ZC tho was a proven entity...and the rralization he was finally healthy.....made that decision a slam dunk

Yea....a guy who hasn't learned how to take care of his body, his words not mine, after 6 years in the NFL is not going to learn anything now. This isn't some rookie shock going from NCAA to pro. He has had 6 years to learn habits and emulate work ethic from the very best there is, if he hasn't learned that by now he is never going to do so.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Considering that's what the article you posted reported as happening...yes I do. It's also been clarified on the twitter machine that MBT did in fact mean IF he's in Canada it'll be in TO.

I honestly hope that MBT is going back to TO. Personally, if I'm Pinball I am trying to get Dane Evans and extort the Riders on Chad Kelly.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

DT seems thin as hell for free agents, he’ll genuinely don’t see a single one I would love

Yea....but we don't have any at the moment. I guess we could try bring Sayles back or roll the dice on recruitment.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Recent history certainly points to that. I like our roster though. Particularly our strength in our National players. Usually I have quite a few bones to pick with where we are at this point in the off season. Feeling pretty good about things this year (and perhaps that ought to be setting alarm bells off!)

(And we're only obscure to the Sports Media in Southern Ontario)

He may become one. He certainly has a set of brass ones - got to like that in a QB.

Chad Kelley is about to become a locker room cancer if he starts or doesn't. Book it. I would trade him while he has value if I were Pinball.  The man just has too much ego. Also, I would probably take a hard pass on MBT and try get Dane Evans if I were the Argos. A lot younger and you don't have to keep 14000 seats empty for MBT's ancestors. jk

Edited by GCn20