2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

Just now, GCJenks said:

How / Why would someone offer Dom Davis anything? I am not sure if I like or am shocked that not once have I seen Dakota Prukop mentioned. I mean even with the GC brain fart he still gets more done that Dom Davis...

I’ve been thinking that since the bombers cut him. Some guys show really well in practice. We’ve seen soo much for in game reps with him and he’s soo seldom even decent I don’t get it. 

Just now, Colin Unger said:

I just don't see the league folding the team. They could more then cover the losses with the new money coming from the US TV deal while they search for a new owner. They aren't going to let this team fold when the fanbase is there and league revenues are growing to a point where a team like this under good ownership can break even or post a profit. 

The league did not fold them last time, and won't do it this time either.

8 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

How / Why would someone offer Dom Davis anything? I am not sure if I like or am shocked that not once have I seen Dakota Prukop mentioned. I mean even with the GC brain fart he still gets more done that Dom Davis...

I guess BC is looking at running a offense designed for a dual threat QB and Dom Davis is someone who could continue a gameplan designed for their starter should he get injured. 

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not suggesting that Lanier's was faking an injury but here is what we know to be certain. The Riders said he had a concussion, Lanier denied that in the media and said his body couldn't hold up because of poor conditioning. 

Lanier was medically cleared to play October 22nd against Calgary and he sat himself out (although he did play the season finale). 

Lanier's NFL window is closed. Very closed. He has zero chance of NFL return or interest. He is not playing for that reason anymore. He has been through the NFL wringer extensively. 

You need to quit banging the NFL drum and certainly this fresh out of college drum. Lanier was in the NFL for several years, and has exhausted his NFL window. You really need to take a look at his history. He is not fresh out of college. He is an NFL reclamation project. The guy was in the NFL for 6 seasons and has exhausted his PR eligibility, Obviously you like the guy, and he is a very good player, but you are arguing based on some assumptions you are making about the guy that are completely false narrative.

Take a look at how many games he played in the nfl. (15 games in 5 years) you aren’t getting stretched out for a longer run of games sitting on the pr. 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I guess BC is looking at running an offense designed for a dual threat QB and Dom Davis is someone who could continue a gameplan designed for their starter should he get injured. 

Yeah I mean a no threat qb is as good in that offense as any. 

to be fair he is probably the best short yardage qb in the league. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Take a look at how many games he played in the nfl. (15 games in 5 years) you aren’t getting stretched out for a longer run of games sitting on the pr. 

The NFL has full contact practice. Ask any guy who knows football who the guys are that get their bodies blown up in practice and you will understand that it is the PR guys. They are in as good a shape, and hit as much as the regular roster guys even without playing in the game and that is a 16 game schedule. If conditioning is a problem for him after 6 years in the NFL then that sets off alarm bells to me.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Do we have clarity as to when Schoen's nfl window closes?  I keep hearing that it is Feb 9 but I believe Tait said the same day as CFL free agency starts. 

Feb 14.

From Saturday's Freep:

"Let’s start with the receiver position.

The Bombers currently have starters Dalton Schoen, assuming he doesn’t sign an NFL deal by Feb. 14, and Canadian Drew Wolitarsky back in the mix. They also have Canadian Brendan O’Leary-Orange, who played well in relief, as well as Carlton Agudosi, who scored a pair of touchdowns against Calgary in his only real action last year before suffering a season-ending injury to his left leg."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/02/03/hey-walters-give-these-guys-a-call

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lanier was good for the riders last year, that's not a hot take or anything, but to make a guy the highest paid after less than a full seasons worth of games seems to be jumping the gun IMO. But also highlights how messed up the situation is when they have to over pay guys to stay. 

I just question giving out that contract to ANY player with a half season of work.....especially when he spent the last half of that season on IR over conditioning problems or a concussion depending on who you believe.

Just now, GCn20 said:

The NFL has full contact practice. Ask any guy who knows football who the guys are that get their bodies blown up in practice and you will understand that it is the PR guys. They are in as good a shape, and hit as much as the regular roster guys even without playing in the game.

It does but if you are the 5th dl on the roster you aren’t getting many reps. Practice isn’t stretching out your motor especially for the running you have to do in the cfl as a dl. 
 Nothing simulates or replaces in game reps. 
It’s very different demands physically. 
 You’re talking maybe 10-12 reps in a couple drills vs 50 plays plus teams. And the difference between 1 on 1s, and a couple practice snaps vs having to run all over the field. 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Dom Davis, lol. BC Sucks.

So if the Shiltz signing a precursor to Evans being dealt to the riders for 4 first round picks?

Personally I think tor goes after harris and trades mbt to ssk. 

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I just question giving out that contract to ANY player with a half season of work.....especially when he spent the last half of that season on IR over conditioning problems or a concussion depending on who you believe.

To be fair we gave collaros a contract and gave up a first in doing it after what 4 games? 
 The upside is it’s not guaranteed. They can always cut him and save that sms. Free agency is looking pretty underwhelming rn 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It does but if you are the 5th dl on the roster you aren’t getting many reps. Practice isn’t stretching out your motor especially for the running you have to do in the cfl as a dl. 
 You’re talking maybe 10-12 reps in a couple drills vs 50 plays plus teams. And the difference between 1 on 1s, and a couple practice snaps vs having to run all over the field. 

Personally I think tor goes after harris and trades mbt to ssk. 

To be fair we gave collaros a contract and gave up a first in doing it after what 4 games? 
 The upside is it’s not guaranteed. They can always cut him and save that sms. Free agency is looking pretty underwhelming rn 

MBT won't be going to SSK. He said if he plays in Canada it will be for the argos and only the argos. Why would SSK trade for a qb that won't want to be there?

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Free agency is looking pretty underwhelming rn 

Unsigned Free Agents as of now (according to cfl.ca

MONTREAL ALOUETTES      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
AWE Micah A LB Texas Tech
BIERRIA Keishawn A LB Washington
COSTIGAN Thomas A DL Bryant University
DAVIS Dominique A QB East Carolina
DESJARDINS Vincent N DL Laval
EXUME Kerfalla-Emmanuel N DB Montreal
FLETCHER Walter A RB Ball State
HARRIS Trevor A QB Edinboro
JONES Mike A DB Temple
JONES Mike N WR Southern
JULIEN-GRANT Kaion N WR St. Francis Xavier
LEWIS Eugene A WR Oklahoma
MAYALA  Hergy N WR Connecticut
PICKETT Adarius A LB UCLA
REID Greg A DB Florida State
SCHLEUGER Chris A OL Alabama Birmingham
THOMAS Ahmad A DB Oklahoma
WAKEFIELD Michael A DL Florida International
WHITE JR. Reggie A WR Monmouth
WIENEKE Jake A WR South Dakota State

OTTAWA REDBLACKS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
ADAMS Darvin A WR Auburn
BALTIMORE Sherrod A DB Maine
BOATENG  Kwaku N DL Wilfrid Laurier
BOURASSA Louis-Philippe N LS Montreal
CIRACO Darius N OL Calgary
COLEMAN Davon A DL Arizona State
DAVIS Ryan A WR Auburn
EVANS Caleb A QB Louisiana At Monroe (NE)
HARRIS RJ A WR New Hampshire
JOHNSON Shaquille N WR London Beefeaters
KANNEH Abdul A DB New Mexico Highlands
MARTIN-OGUIKE Praise A DL Temple
POWELL William A RB Kansas State
PRUNEAU Antoine N DB Montreal
RICHARDS Randy A OL Missouri State
SALMON Shaheed A LB Samford
STEWARD Hunter N OL Liberty
WILLIAMS Avery A LB Temple
WILLIAMS Ucambre A OL South Alabama

TORONTO ARGONAUTS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
AMBLES Markeith A WR Houston
BETHEL-THOMPSON McLeod A QB Sacramento State
BLAKE Philip N OL Baylor
BRESCACIN Juwan N WR Northern Iowa
DAVIS Ja’Gared A DL Southern Methodist
EDWARDS Chris A LB Idaho
FOOTE Fabion N DL McMaster
HARRIS Andrew N RB Nanaimo Raiders Jr.
LAWRENCE  Justin N OL Alberta
MUAMBA Henoc N LB St. Francis Xavier
OUELLETTE A.J. A RB Ohio
RAY Shane A DL Missouri
RICHARDSON Shaquille A LB Arizona
ROGERS Eric A WR California Lutheran

HAMILTON TIGER-CATS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
DOMAGALA Michael N K Carleton
DUNBAR Steven A WR Houston
DURANT  Lemar N WR Simon Fraser
EVANS Ciante A DB Nebraska
GNAHOUA  Valentin G DL McGill
HILLS Wes A RB Slippery Rock
HOWSARE Julian A DL Clarion
JOHNSON Micah A DL Kentucky
KELLY Colin A OL Oregon State
KELLY Kameron A LB San Diego State
LAURENT Ted N DL Mississippi
LAWRENCE Simoni A LB Minnesota
NEWTON Curtis N LB Guelph
OKAFOR  Kay N OL St. Francis Xavier
ROLLE Jumal A DB Catawba
SANTOS-KNOX Jovan A LB Massachusetts
SHILTZ Matt A QB Butler
UNGERER  David N WR Idaho
WHITE Tim A WR Arizona State

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
ADAMS Keion A DL Western Michigan
BAILEY Rasheed A WR Delaware Valley
BRIGGS Jesse N LB McGill
COUTURE Michael N OL Simon Fraser
ELLINGSON Greg A WR Florida International
MARUO Les G LB Texas at San Antonio
MASTON Mercy A DB Boise State
PRUKOP Dakota A QB Oregon
SAYLES Casey A DL Ohio
TAYLOR Nicholas A DB Florida International

SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
BROWN Blace A DB Troy
CAMPBELL Jamal N OL York
CLARK Dan N OL Regina Jrs.
COOPER Shaquille A RB Fort Hays State
DEAN Larry A LB Valdosta State
EDEM Mike N DB Calgary
EVANS Shaq A WR UCLA
FAJARDO Cody A QB Nevada
HARRIS Nigel A LB South Florida
HARTY Jake N WR Calgary
HERDMAN-REED Jordan N LB Simon Fraser
HERDMAN-REED Justin N LB Simon Fraser
HUGHES Charleston A DL Northwood University
JOHNSON Jr. Gary A LB Texas
LEWIS  Wesley N WR Houston Baptist
MCINNIS  Justin N WR Arkansas State
MOORE Kyran A WR Austin Peay
ONYEKA Godfrey N DB Wilfrid Laurier
PICTON Mitchell N WR Regina
SANKEY Darnell A LB Sacramento State
ST. JOHN Josiah N OL Oklahoma
TUCK James N RB York
VAUGHN Terran A OL Stephen F. Austin State
WILLIAMS D’haquille A WR Auburn

CALGARY STAMPEDERS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
BANE Shawn A WR Northwest Missouri State
BANKS Stefen A DL Savannah State
BOUKA Elie N DB Calgary
BRANCH Marcelis A DB Robert Morris College
DOZIER Branden A DB UNC Charlotte
ELLIOTT  Javien A DB Florida State
JORDEN Kamar A WR Bowling Green State
LEMON Shawn A DL Akron
ORIMOLADE Folarin A DL Dartmouth
POWER Charlie N RB Saskatchewan
SINDANI Richard N WR Regina
SOPIK Fraser N LB Western University
THURMAN Jameer A LB Indiana State
WASHINGTON Trumaine A DB Louisville

EDMONTON ELKS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
ANTIGHA Tobi A LB Presbyterian College
BONNER Tim A DL Florida Atlantic
CARTER Duron A DB Florida Atlantic
DECOUD Treston A DB Oregon State
DUBUISSON Mike N LB Windsor
HENRY Makana N DL Burlington Jrs.
LACEY Deon A LB West Alabama
LAWLER Kenny A WR California
MARSHALL Jalin A WR Ohio State
MRABURE Ese N DL Wilfrid Laurier
NOEL Llevi N WR Toronto
OSEI-KUSI  Chris N WR Queen’s
REAVES Jordan N LB Brandon University
RICHARDS Jeff A DB Emporia State
RYAN Jonathan N K Regina
WALKER Derel A WR Texas A&M
WASHINGTON Tony A OL Abilene Christian

BC LIONS      
PLAYER A/N/G POS COLLEGE
BREAUX Delvin A DB Louisiana State
BUTLER James A RB Iowa
CHUNGH  Sukh N OL Calgary
DOLL Tanner N LS Calgary
FIGUEROA Joel A OL Miami
FRANCIS Kevin N LB North Carolina A&T
GODBER, Peter N OL Rice
GWACHAM Obum A DL Oregon State
JOHNSON Hakeem N DB Western University
O’CONNOR  Michael N QB UBC
PIPKIN Antonio A QB Tiffin
ROSS Shai N WR Manitoba
VILLAMIZAR  Mario N RB Wilfrid Laurier

28 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I guess BC is looking at running a offense designed for a dual threat QB and Dom Davis is someone who could continue a gameplan designed for their starter should he get injured. 

Davis isn't a dual threat qb though, he's a no threat qb. Doesn't wow with his legs, can't throw accurately with his arm.... He can't continue any gameplan because he has shown he just doesn't have the ability to play qb at this level. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yeah except that Collaros was a pretty well known CFL commodity before he got that contract too. Risk with him was always durability not ability. Everyone knew he could play at an MOP level was just a matter of whether he could stay healthy. 

1 minute ago, bluto said:

I like how we're going about our off-season business. A few more days of announcements and then they can drop the news about who is playing QB for us this season. 

No matter what the final verdict it will be less than impressive for the Argos. Enjoy the win last season, it's back to obscurity this year. 

36 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lol, no one is getting conditioned or "stretching their motor" by playing games.

All that happens in the off season. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No matter what the final verdict it will be less than impressive for the Argos. Enjoy the win last season, it's back to obscurity this year. 

Yep they'll stink for a few years and then win the cup over a much better team again like they've done for the last ~25 years and still no one but Bluto will care 😛