Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No and I doubt that's even a huge factor TBH.  A $20,000 a year pension when you're making $200,000 on PR.  Invest it well.

Of course its a factor. Its closer to 30k and its a lifetime pension. An extra 30k USD a year for life before your 30th birthday means a lot to the guys on the cusp of getting it.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

People acting like 25k USD plus benefits forever for doing nothing is no big deal 

For sure..how many people work years in a job they hate because they are only a few years out from their pension. Suggesting a pension doesn't matter is not accurate. It may not matter to the player with no realistic hope of getting one, but to a player like Strev it matters.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure..how many people work years in a job they hate because they are only a few years out from their pension. Suggesting a pension doesn't matter is not accurate. It may not matter to the player with no realistic hope of getting one, but to a player like Strev it matters.

Exactly. Plus You earn it doing something you love.

I doubt Streveler is planning to retire waiting for his NFL pension never finding other work after his football days are over either. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Of course its a factor. Its closer to 30k and its a lifetime pension. An extra 30k USD a year for life before your 30th birthday means a lot to the guys on the cusp of getting it.

It vests at 55 and if you've made $5 million or $10 million or $20 million that pension should seriously be moot.  They do gain access to a mutual fund called a 401k in the US if they make the benefit cut off, but it's up to them to invest their money into it.

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It vests at 55 and if you've made $5 million or $10 million or $20 million that pension should seriously be moot.  They do gain access to a mutual fund called a 401k in the US if they make the benefit cut off, but it's up to them to invest their money into it.

If you've made 5-10 or 20 million for sure it is moot. However, a guy like Strev whose career earnings will likely be in the 1.5-2 million range, it is a factor. It vests at its maximum of 43k per year at 55, but players can take it as soon as they retire at 22k USD per year starting in 2024. What a player might decide is up to them, but it certainly is worth it for guys who are a few games out from the pension to keep pursuing it. For some players it's a non-factor, for bubble guys like Strev, the pension is a big factor. It's likely what is keeping Strev on a PR right now vs getting a 300k payday in Canada. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

so let me get this straight they released Strev but signed him to the practice roster?

Yes

10 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Exactly. Plus You earn it doing something you love.

I doubt Streveler is planning to retire waiting for his NFL pension never finding other work after his football days are over either. 

Strev will likely stick it out as long as he can this year on a PR in hopes he is activated for the 6 games to get his pension. If he is released from PR, or lingers all year on it without activation, I could see him looking to the CFL next year and chasing a solid CFL career that could net him 500k CAD per year if he has success.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I haven't seen any news about Drew....from what I can tell he is not on the Pats PR....im getting more and more hopeful walters is working on a contract

DD seems to be in limbo right now....I hope he's in serious discussion with Walters and he comes home, gets a nice contract and 'Bob's your uncle'....is he?????

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I haven't seen any news about Drew....from what I can tell he is not on the Pats PR....im getting more and more hopeful walters is working on a contract

nope....not signed to any PR from what I know....hope he re-ups here for top starter dollars...and we roll

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

OL Drew Desjarlais is signing with the to join their PR.

#Bombers

😔

Good for him! A lot of former Bombers are sticking with their NFL clubs. This is great for recruiting. Not only being two x champions but for the guys with NFL aspirations, come to Winnipeg, ball out, win a lot of games and get your exposure and get an NFL contract. Win win!