Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Dobson is the replacement for Couture on the active roster.  Maybe they budgeted on having Dobson on the 1 game all season.

Generally a team will allocate a dline...oline...2 skilled position and usually a teamer type salary at varying price targets...and based on where projected backups may be on the roster toward the cap...even tho technically its isnt used yet...or may not be used so that moving forward into the season they have a better rough idea of what they have left as a buffer...and how to manage/project possible moves during the yr...so replacement salaries for some of our....if not all our guys has already been worked into the season cap for current salary requirements...so likely most the savings from guys we 6 gamed is actually available...that's what the smart teams do

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Minus Dobson's salary on the active to replace him, so about $25,000 hard money.  Around the same for Wilson.  About $40,000 ish from Alexander minus his replacement on active.  Save a bit around the fringe on not backfilling PR, probably about $100,000 in hard money to offer to someone or facilitate a trade.

Are we not approaching the end of a second stint for couture? I dint realize there was a difference between what Dobsen would make on the dev roster and the active roster. 

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...in all honesty can't see why they would choose to go somewhere else...this point in year...there's nobody who can really offer an outrageous Lawler type deal like in free agency...

If he comes back to the cfl now Winnipeg would be front runners for sure.  I don't see him signing a long term deal right now so he's just looking at making some money and then reevaluating his situation in the off-season.  So the playoff money is key and also the familiarty in Winnipeg will put him in the best situation to look good down the stretch and maybe get another nfl look.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Doesn’t mean much. The riders kept trying to buy ol failing then watching them leave and succeed else where. 

he got cut out of camp here because of we had drake Nevis stove and Jake. Then he played 1 game in Montreal. He was very good in the year he was here. 

Lots of guys have good brief stints.

He came to camp the next year on a low level contract and lost out to a guy with no experience.

I’m not against bringing him in but let’s not act like he was a world beater up here.

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I am unclear why guys would not see this as a viable possibility. First of all, Strevy loves Winnipeg and loves winning, secondly he is immediately familiar with our offence, thirdly he wants to keep his NFL dream alive and trying to learn a new offensive system and have success in an 8 game span is extremely risky to that NFL future, He needs to come to the CFL, play well, and keep his name circulating. Winnipeg, by far, presents him the best opportunity for that.

But if he signs here - isn't it a 2 year deal? It wouldn't affect his NFL dream, but he wouldn't be able to get on as a starter if he's in the CFL for 2023.

I can't see a viable path that lands him on the Bombers roster.

The cap isn't going to be an issue for other teams to sign him - if he comes, there will only be 4 games or so left in the season. Not going to be much of a hit.

Edited by Jesse

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

But if he signs here - isn't it a 2 year deal? It wouldn't affect his NFL dream, but he wouldn't be able to get on as a starter if he's in the CFL for 2023.

I can't see a viable path that lands him on the Bombers roster.

The cap isn't going to be an issue for other teams to sign him - if he comes, there will only be 4 games or so left in the season. Not going to be much of a hit.

no...he can just sign for remainder of the yr...as would any returnee...they not roped into 2 yrs....cap wont be an issue for us either for 4 games if thats when he came up....he's got just as viable path to land here than anywhere...and as much as people dont wanna believe the former connections here...the comfort level...friendships etc....that will likely be the key in all it why he signs here....doubt it if you want...but its real

36 minutes ago, Booch said:

no...he can just sign for remainder of the yr...as would any returnee...they not roped into 2 yrs....cap wont be an issue for us either for 4 games if thats when he came up....he's got just as viable path to land here than anywhere...and as much as people dont wanna believe the former connections here...the comfort level...friendships etc....that will likely be the key in all it why he signs here....doubt it if you want...but its real

You wanna give a tired dressing room a big boost just prior to the playoffs? Bring in a glue guy, that will run through walls and is beloved by his team mates. The 75k this would cost would be the best money we spend with the exception of DD possibly returning.

51 minutes ago, Booch said:

erection GIF

3 hours ago, Booch said:

People need to realize that is if on a pr the full yr...getting workouts...for the chance to land on one after TC isnt getting u paid..u need to be on one

Think it's gonna depend on how much interest there was in guys.  Like for Lenius it was limited.  For others it was much more.

Even if you don't get on a PR week 1 there's what, 200 injuries/cuts a week in the NFL?  If you land on a PR for half a NFL season you make more than you can in hard money for the rest of the CFL season.  Can see some of the Canadians coming up.  For the Americans it's potentially more of a pain in the ass to not make much hard money if they live in the US.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

As per the many pages of discussion earlier today, Desjarlais will be on PR tomorrow. Kongbo is a maybe... 

Desjarlais is just media speculation at this point. I saw several articles suggesting that NE may offer him a PR spot, but nothing indicating that he was a sure thing.

According to the Pats forum, Desjarlais was not at practice today and their were 16 PR guys there. Although several of them have not been officially declared yet, it does not appear DD will be on the Pats PR and he cleared waivers btw so unlikely to be added by anyone else. C'mon home DD, we kept your spot warm for you.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

According to the Pats forum, Desjarlais was not at practice today and their were 16 PR guys there. Although several of them have not been officially declared yet, it does not appear DD will be on the Pats PR and he cleared waivers btw so unlikely to be added by anyone else. C'mon home DD, we kept your spot warm for you.

And if you're pissed off about the way things went in the NFL we got plenty of opponents for you to take it out on.

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And if you're pissed off about the way things went in the NFL we got plenty of opponents for you to take it out on.

Dd is the nastiest piece of business on a regular day. Pity the dl opposed to him. Unless it’s Marino. 

good for kongbo and streveler. Though honestly I think streveler is best off on another teams pr. I hope he gets a real shot. 

wonder if Strev's is just there till all 3 of the other Jets QB's are healthy....I see that scenario...but good on him getting some $ in the meantime.....now....if Desjarlais isnt scooped up...back that truck up Walters and pay that guy....that would be a huge add and the Oline depth just got deep again....especially with Couture likely back banjo bowl...maybe a game after

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

wonder if Strev's is just there till all 3 of the other Jets QB's are healthy....I see that scenario...but good on him getting some $ in the meantime.....now....if Desjarlais isnt scooped up...back that truck up Walters and pay that guy....that would be a huge add and the Oline depth just got deep again....especially with Couture likely back banjo bowl...maybe a game after

I could see Strev dress for game one if Wilson can't make it. Though, they have said Wilson will be ready for week 1.