Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

On 2023-09-06 at 7:27 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Desjarlais did the same thing last season. He was cut by the Patriots waived thru the NFL but not offered a PR contract. He went home waiting for a call from Belichek that never happened. He eventually signed with the RedBlacks instead of us as they massively overpaid him & his presence is doing nothing to help them win as he's just a Canadian Guard. he'd have been a better & more effective player with us but money talks so he went to Ottawa. So, now he can lose but count his money after each loss like Levon did in a garage by a motorway. Ford will sit until it's clear to him that phone call he's waiting for will never come. And he's a DB that can help us but as a Sam Linebacker not as a corner. 

Desjarlais was on New Orleans PR most of last season.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Desjarlais was on New Orleans PR most of last season.

He signed in late September & had been off & on NFL PR's. We discussed him here saying how long will he be willing to go without a paycheque waiting for a call from an NFL team? Ottawa desperately in need of any Canadian talent especially on the line massively overpaid for the guy. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-09-09 at 8:27 AM, GCn20 said:

Well CFL.ca hasn't been particularly accurate this year, so here's hoping that is yet another error.

I suppose they could take him off early since he's been on IR for longer than 7 games. Not sure if that means subject to SMS hit for any games beyond 12 ( two 6 game IR stints )?  In the case of Rose and Wilson they moved them from 6 game to 1 game IR. That's what I would have expected if they plan on seeing Hansen moved to AR soon.

On 2023-09-09 at 11:54 AM, Mark H. said:

And I say good for him. I think most of us would maximize our value.

Good for him but bad for the RedBlacks. Like Sukh Chungh who took the money & ran, for years after he left us he wasn't very good in BC. He needed great OL around him to be effective. He didn't make the Lions OL better or was a difference maker all by himself. The same with Desjarlais. Ottawa isn't any better with him playing because he doesn't make them better on his own. But Ottawa paid for him to be there instead of here. Desjarlais had great players around him here in Winnipeg. He doesn't have that in Ottawa.

And just to be clear, I'd have loved Desjarlais to be here as in our situation, he'd have helped due to the veterans around him. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Good for him but bad for the RedBlacks. Like Sukh Chungh who took the money & ran, for years after he left us he wasn't very good in BC. He needed great OL around him to be effective. He didn't make the Lions OL better or was a difference maker all by himself. The same with Desjarlais. Ottawa isn't any better with him playing because he doesn't make them better on his own. But Ottawa paid for him to be there instead of here. Desjarlais had great players around him here in Winnipeg. He doesn't have that in Ottawa.

And just to be clear, I'd have loved Desjarlais to be here as in our situation, he'd have helped due to the veterans around him. 

Yup...some guys play elevates based on where they are...two prime examples...also which makes me think this big payday for Brown won't happen....or if does will look like a bad investment 

Just now, Booch said:

Yup...some guys play elevates based on where they are...two prime examples...also which makes me think this big payday for Brown won't happen....or if does will look like a bad investment 

Brown doesn't have a big body of work to go on. You never know, he may be willing to stay here another year on a 1 year contract. He has to see guys like Crum, Arbuckle & Cornelius struggling & wonder if it won't happen to him on worse teams. Or.... maybe not. Just take the money & run.

On 2023-09-10 at 9:48 AM, Booch said:

If he serves another full 6 we get sms relief

This prob just a logistical move...I assume he gets back on with no 1 game stint....

I can't remember if his new contract gives him a raise in 2023 ( above ELC ) or whether it starts in 2024. Either way we have to replace him with another player so savings if any won't be much. Still don't understand whether he is unable to play or they are just not willing to make a roster change at the moment? He'd be an upgrade over Maruo.

It will be interesting to see if Streveler gets a call from the Jets after the injury to Rogers?

Edited by Blue In BC

On 2023-09-10 at 2:27 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

He needed great OL around him to be effective. He didn't make the Lions OL better or was a difference maker all by himself. The same with Desjarlais.

Isn't that true for all OL?  Can any one OL turn around a line that doesn't already have the other pieces in place? 

I think back to when we signed our GOAT tackle Bryant in 2014 and our OL was still terrible and got Willy killed.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Isn't that true for all OL?  Can any one OL turn around a line that doesn't already have the other pieces in place? 

I think back to when we signed our GOAT tackle Bryant in 2014 and our OL was still terrible and got Willy killed.

Chungh here was never a good technical, and polished olineman....he was a mugger...mean and played on the edge, and complimented our really talented guys, so was expected in BC that he would look sub par