Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

I'm a huge Bailey fan, but I honestly don't think he's the type of receiver that translates to a number 1 or 2 target for anyone in this league - especially at his age.

Darvin Adams had the attitude plus the speed, so I wasn't surprised he did well in Ottawa after leaving.

I agree, if Bailey left the Bombers he'd end up like Shaq Evans, a middle tier receiver looking for a place to call home but unable to establish himself as a prominent receiver in any other offence.

I get what you guys are saying about Bailey's ceiling, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think you're maybe overestimating the depth of some of the teams out there. There's more than a few teams that are shitty enough where Bailey would easily be their #2 guy and pay him accordingly (hell the Riders were going to do just that, and he snubbed them because he's Blue and Gold and **** the Riders)

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I get what you guys are saying about Bailey's ceiling, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think you're maybe overestimating the depth of some of the teams out there. There's more than a few teams that are shitty enough where Bailey would easily be their #2 guy and pay him accordingly (hell the Riders were going to do just that, and he snubbed them because he's Blue and Gold and **** the Riders)

Hindsight is 20/20, but would he be ahead of Bane Jr. and Emilus?  Not to mention Jones?

Just now, Wideleft said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but would he be ahead of Bane Jr. and Emilus?  Not to mention Jones?

Jones is just a run of the mill average American who comes up with a play here or there, but for games you don't even know is dressed....Not sure what the Jones love is...he also comes up with some brain dead moments as well, from time to time....and isn't the grit and glue guy Bailey is, or anywhere near the blocker.....poor mans version maybe but thats it.

Bane offers nothing in your run or blocking game as well...totally different type of receiver....he showing well right now, but lets see 2..3 yrs of it....he is making hay right now with the lions share of targets in that offence...Emilus as well has shown some flashes...2 stand out games...the rest kind of...is he dressed?....also....did squat last yr, and is this yr what he is...or just one of those hot cold guys?...lets see him put strings of games together, and for more than part of a season

Calgary as well made a substantial offer for Bailey in free agency that I know of, and from what I hear there were 4 offers outside of ours.

He was a 4th option for most part last year, and targeted like 15 times in first 5 games last yr, yet puled in 9TD's and 726 yards I believe. At the same time making room for others to have fat stats, and allow running backs to make hay

Even in 2021 he had over 600 yards and 5 td's as a 3rd..4th option in 14 games

if he was anywhere else, he would surely be a 1000 yard guy, and still doing the dirty work he does so well

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Calgary could be a good destination for him, they'd make good use of his blocking and he'd take some of the attention off Begelton....but ultimately he'd be serving the same role as he does with the Bombers and probably not for much more pay.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Calgary could be a good destination for him, they'd make good use of his blocking and he'd take some of the attention off Begelton....but ultimately he'd be serving the same role as he does with the Bombers and probably not for a much more pay.

see above...they went after him this off-season

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Jones is just a run of the mill average American who comes up with a play here or there, but for games you don't even know is dressed....Not sure what the Jones love is...he also comes up with some brain dead moments as well, from time to time....and isn't the grit and glue guy Bailey is, or anywhere near the blocker.....poor mans version maybe but thats it.

Bane offers nothing in your run or blocking game as well...totally different type of receiver....he showing well right now, but lets see 2..3 yrs of it....he is making hay right now with the lions share of targets in that offence...Emilus as well has shown some flashes...2 stand out games...the rest kind of...is he dressed?....also....did squat last yr, and is this yr what he is...or just one of those hot cold guys?...lets see him put strings of games together, and for more than part of a season

I think Emilus has a bright future in the CFL, he's a dynamic receiver and better than Justin McInnis (now in BC) and may be a better pure receiver than Rider favourite Schaffer-Baker.  Didn't understand why they weren't using him more last season.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think Emilus has a bright future in the CFL, he's a dynamic receiver and better than Justin McInnis (now in BC) and may be a better pure receiver than Rider favourite Schaffer-Baker.  Didn't understand why they weren't using him more last season.

Funny part...I bet as soon as his rookie deal there is up he bolts out east to Montreal

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

He actually was a drop machine last season. Reminds me of Fantuz in that aspect, Fantuz was ok in his rookie year, but dropped a lot of passes. Year 2 is when he really took off.

I am aware that by opting out, I am not eligible to sign with any other CFL Club or in any other professional football league other than the NFL during the term of my SPC and should I wish to return to the CFL during the term of my SPC and I’m fit to play skilled football, I must return to [previous CFL team] and sign a new contract for the exact amounts and term of my previously terminated contract.

That is the CBA language now for guys under contract and NFL window.

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I am aware that by opting out, I am not eligible to sign with any other CFL Club or in any other professional football league other than the NFL during the term of my SPC and should I wish to return to the CFL during the term of my SPC and I’m fit to play skilled football, I must return to [previous CFL team] and sign a new contract for the exact amounts and term of my previously terminated contract.

That is the CBA language now for guys under contract and NFL window.

They got rid of the 10 day window? jeebus...that's stupid.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup...lame

Really dumb of the CFL but I guess they gotta give the players something once in a while. It was a rule change born out of the pandemic when our league was is crisis and not knowing if their would be a season. Without giving the players a clear out of the contract we likely would not have gotten many takers for contract offers with no firm clarity on the 2021 season going forward or not. 

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

It would be only in Ford's best interest to return to the Bombers and it looks like this is most likely the case, with no team showing interest in him by now....His decision and he certainly is quite aware of the right one

you would think...new game film for him is his best shot at another crack, as he had 1 game of actual game play as a defensive player.....so his best option is to get back up playing asap if he feels he may get another look....but highly doubt he gets one

21 minutes ago, Stickem said:

It would be only in Ford's best interest to return to the Bombers and it looks like this is most likely the case, with no team showing interest in him by now....His decision and he certainly is quite aware of the right one

No one would advise that.  If he signs in CFL no chance to get back into NFL this season.  Each team has 3 injuries a week that’s 100 guys the NFL needs to sign per week.  If CFL let guys out when season done maybe he’d be back.  Wait until January is killer.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No one would advise that.  If he signs in CFL no chance to get back into NFL this season.  Each team has 3 injuries a week that’s 100 guys the NFL needs to sign per week.  If CFL let guys out when season done maybe he’d be back.  Wait until January is killer.

For every player it's different. It would all depend on the initial amount of interest I would think. Each player/agent should have a pretty good sense as to how realistic an in season pick up is for their player. Some guys unfortunately may over estimate their worth I suppose, but they will quickly become the cautionary tale of lost salary/play time that CFL GMs will point towards when picking up the phone. Unfortunately, there used to be a 10 day window that did that automatically, now some of the CFL players that really had no realistic shot but have had their tires pumped will lose out on some game cheques instead.

With a guy like Ford being hamstrung to the stupid 3 year ELC that NAT rookies must sign makes this gamble a little easier as their is no possible big FA CFL contract to play towards this season.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For every player it's different. It would all depend on the initial amount of interest I would think. Each player/agent should have a pretty good sense as to how realistic an in season pick up is for their player. Some guys unfortunately may over estimate their worth I suppose, but they will quickly become the cautionary tale of lost salary/play time that CFL GMs will point towards when picking up the phone. Unfortunately, there used to be a 10 day window that did that automatically, now some of the CFL players that really had no realistic shot but have had their tires pumped will lose out on some game cheques instead.

With a guy like Ford being hamstrung to the stupid 3 year ELC that NAT rookies must sign makes this gamble a little easier as their is no possible big FA CFL contract to play towards this season.

He made it to Final Cut.  I doubt he’s back in 23.  If he’s not in NFL camp by next July he’ll be back.

Keep in mind he’s coming back to rookie deal too.

42 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He made it to Final Cut.  I doubt he’s back in 23.  If he’s not in NFL camp by next July he’ll be back.

I definitely don't blame him for trying... this might be his one and only shot... in the long run, losing some game cheques in 2023 means nothing

I doubt Ford will make a return this year; there's little incentive. He's on a low-cost rookie Canadian deal, offering no financial motivation. It's wiser for his career to consider another NFL signing, with more potential earnings and a better chance of sticking around. As Juran mentioned, the NFL sees hundreds of injury replacement signings each week.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I get it. If he was in the final year or his contract we would likely see him back so he could get some FA contract interest. The 85k max we can give him next year is not really all that tempting I suppose.