Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

What was it again? Anyone remember? He visited Alberta one time or something?

parents has sex in Canada one time...may have been his inception??..was basically not much more than that...I think his mom had some canadian relatives tho was the reason...

35 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I believe the scenario was he once ate a bag of ketchup chips while watching a Beachcombers episode

oh that Bruno ...he'll get cha everytime!!

Apologies if I missed it above, but it looks like the Royal Rourke got waived by the Jaguars. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/report-jaguars-waive-canadian-qb-nathan-rourke/

I'm guessing a PR spot is soon to follow. I wonder if he got a signing bonus on his three year deal

Edit: Just saw it's covered in CFL Discussion

Edited by True Dru

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Cahoon's National status was biggest joke ever to be honest...Woli has more claim to than Cahoon

Rourke was born here but all of his formative training that actually matters was in the U.S....

From what I read Rourke played in Ont. right thru high school.  Then he went to the states for college.  Sounds like most of his formative training was in Canada.

15 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Imo, Schoen just doesn't move like a prototypical NFL receiver and teams just aren't willing to flesh that out. It's a league where you might get a 5 minute look to convince someone and Schoen just needs more than 5 minutes to impress I guess.

Now the problem is how do we fit him into the salary cap when his contract is up? Is this his final year of his rookie deal? 

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The Rourke stuff is insufferable.  Dozens of Canadians in NCAA and NFL.  Not even half the hype around Tre Ford at any point here.

Wonder why TSN is so far up the Rourke families butts.

I don't give a **** about Nathan Rourke. He couldn't wait to get out of the CFL to go to the NFL. He gave the impression that he was just too good for our league despite all the love he got from fans across Canada.. If he would have shown some gratitude for the support he got then I might see things differently. My feeling  about him is & always shall be...

giphy.gif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Played a game there as a sophomore in high school, field conditions were so bad. Had frozen the night before, and was surprisingly warm the next day. Awful memories in that dump.

Some of you here can insult them all you want but some great players & teams have come from there nonetheless. High school football teams from Southern Alberta including teams from Lethbridge & Raymond areas routinely kick the **** out of teams from Calgary on a regular basis. Blake Nill, Nate Coehorn & the Ralph brothers also come from around there. As did Stamps CFHOF OL Lloyd Fairbanks, I believe. He grew up in Cardston which is 55 km away. 

All this hate for Rourke is the sourest of grapes. We love Canadians!!! Not that one though!!! Virtually every player dreams of being in the NFL, but let's hate on Rourke for actually doing it!!! Let's poke holes in his nationality and college experience but completely gloss over Wolitarsky every time it is accurately pointed out he is just as fake a Canadian, faker even!!!

That TSN and the rest of the major outlets latch on to a QB over any other position is an obvious no-brainer in terms of getting eyes on content and should be a surprise to NOBODY. If Bryan Burnham and Trevor Lawrence among others can sing the kids praises on Twitter (they could have just stayed quiet) I have no reason to think he was anything but a team player that earned the respect of his peers up North and down South. He's getting to do what 99.9% of Canadian QBs will never get do, and the CFL keeps getting brought up as part of the conversation. We should be happy for the exposure as well as the kid but leave it to some of you guys to be miserable about something positive.

15 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I believe the scenario was he once ate a bag of ketchup chips while watching a Beachcombers episode

No it was All Dressed chips...that's what LetterKenny taught me anyway.....

15 hours ago, Booch said:

parents has sex in Canada one time...may have been his inception??..was basically not much more than that...I think his mom had some canadian relatives tho was the reason...

oh that Bruno ...he'll get cha everytime!!

it was Relic you really had to watch out for, especially if you were sitting in Molly's Reach having coffee....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now the problem is how do we fit him into the salary cap when his contract is up? Is this his final year of his rookie deal? 

I believe he has a big pay raise coming for sure. How do we fit him? Don't know if we can. However, it will all depend on who all is returning I guess.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I believe he has a big pay raise coming for sure. How do we fit him? Don't know if we can. However, it will all depend on who all is returning I guess.

Might be time to start cycling out some vets.  I am hoping the Mafia know what they are doing here...I would hate to lose Schoen to the Argos or something dumb like that.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Might be time to start cycling out some vets.  I am hoping the Mafia know what they are doing here...I would hate to lose Schoen to the Argos or something dumb like that.

It will be tough to fit him in without making some tough choices elsewhere. Any combination of Neufeld, Biggie, Bryant, or Hardrick deciding to hang them up would supply enough cash to keep Schoen. However, those too would be tough losses.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It will be tough to fit him in without making some tough choices elsewhere. Any combination of Neufeld, Biggie, Bryant, or Hardrick deciding to hang them up would supply enough cash to keep Schoen. However, those too would be tough losses.

Biggie and Neufeld would be tough losses but at some point you've got to move on.

17 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

He attended High School in Canada till his senior year then went to a US prep school. His brother did all his high schooling in Canada. Wolitarsky is basically Ben Cahoon.

I believe Woli is a full-time Winnipegger now... so he gets bonus points for that!

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

All this hate for Rourke is the sourest of grapes. We love Canadians!!! Not that one though!!! Virtually every player dreams of being in the NFL, but let's hate on Rourke for actually doing it!!! Let's poke holes in his nationality and college experience but completely gloss over Wolitarsky every time it is accurately pointed out he is just as fake a Canadian, faker even!!!

That TSN and the rest of the major outlets latch on to a QB over any other position is an obvious no-brainer in terms of getting eyes on content and should be a surprise to NOBODY. If Bryan Burnham and Trevor Lawrence among others can sing the kids praises on Twitter (they could have just stayed quiet) I have no reason to think he was anything but a team player that earned the respect of his peers up North and down South. He's getting to do what 99.9% of Canadian QBs will never get do, and the CFL keeps getting brought up as part of the conversation. We should be happy for the exposure as well as the kid but leave it to some of you guys to be miserable about something positive.

I agree with you but I think you are confusing a few key points...

no one is questioning Rourke's Canadian status... the comp of Woli was to Ben Cahoon... Rourke is 100% Canadian and the fact that he played college call in the US just shows how good he is/was

I think what bothers some people is why all the Rourke love and no one else... does TSN even know there's another Canadian QB starting in the league right now who is also making an impact?... seems like all they want to do is talk about Rourke... all the bending over backwards they did for Rourke last year and nothing for Ford this year?... Ford might actually be at the perfect skill level where he could become a great CFL player but never really "great enough" to get an NFL look

16 minutes ago, bearpants said:

no one is questioning Rourke's Canadian status... the comp of Woli was to Ben Cahoon... Rourke is 100% Canadian and the fact that he played college call in the US just shows how good he is/was

Go back one page, Cahoon only came up when Rourke was referred as "barely a Canadian QB, about as Canadian as Cahoon". I agree with you, Rourke is 100% Canadian and playing college ball in the US is another testament to his skill

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Retirements and lower priced replacements. It's hard to imagine that won't happen.

yup....there no reason we cant move on from Kramdi...Kolo...Briggs..Thomas..Cadwallder...Hallett contracts that are not league minimums and replace them with cheaper and the same if not better talent, and use that surplus for a Schoen and whomever neds a bump....Looking at roster he is the only one requiring a significant raise

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Go back one page, Cahoon only came up when Rourke was referred as "barely a Canadian QB, about as Canadian as Cahoon". I agree with you, Rourke is 100% Canadian and playing college ball in the US is another testament to his skill

My problem with all this is rourke is getting attention like he’s playing at a pro bowl level, when he’s a fringe player who won’t see a single regular season snap this year. 
Mean while we haven’t heard **** about the record 5 Canadians drafted this year in the nfl. Or guys ranging from Hubbard who has 1k career rush yards to singleton who’s killed it down south. Singleton only recently got a blurb about it being strange that the stamps suck now. When in the last 3 years he’s put up 421 combined tackles, 2 sacks 2 picks 8 knock downs 2 forced fumbles 2 fumble recoveries and 2 defensive tds in 49 games with 31 starts. 

It’s Jessie Palmer all over again. 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....there no reason we cant move on from Kramdi...Kolo...Briggs..Thomas..Cadwallder...Hallett contracts that are not league minimums and replace them with cheaper and the same if not better talent, and use that surplus for a Schoen and whomever neds a bump....Looking at roster he is the only one requiring a significant raise

I think brown will be getting low end starter money offers in the off season. 
 But Augustine too. He’s not versatile at all and inconsistent plus un used running the ball. Can’t pay him Brady money. Brady will get a raise too but probably not more than say 50k. I don’t think he has any interest in leaving either. 
When we go younger on the ol and finally start eli and eventually Dobson they will be cheaper than our starters and new back ups will be cheaper than them too double savings. 
You know Darby isn’t cheap, Bennett is probably over paid a good bit. Clements being a vet is probably over paid.