Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Off the top of my head, take away the salaries of Augustine, Bailey, Darby, perhaps a vet such as Neufeld or Thomas and you've likely got the money to give a raise to Brady and Dalton.

I don't think these players constitute much in savings at all once you factor in the cost of replacement for them. Bailey and Darby...maybe 25k in savings combined if replaced by rookies, Neufeld maybe 20k after you extend Dobson to replace him, and Thomas maybe 20k if you draft a rookie or sign a league min NAT to replace him. That might get one of the two mentioned extended but definitely not both and maybe not even one. Every player that leaves the salary savings are their current salary minus cost of replacement.

Dalton and Brady are currently on their rookie deals. Dalton will get 200k on the open market....easily...he might sign here for slightly less but we will need to find at minimum 100k in SMS savings, and Brady easily deserves 130-145k. That's another 70-75k in savings needed. We will need to move on from big fish to get that kind of space. The obvious wild card will be how much savings is created by the 6 game this year to offset the SMS next year.

Edited by GCn20

58 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Go back one page, Cahoon only came up when Rourke was referred as "barely a Canadian QB, about as Canadian as Cahoon". I agree with you, Rourke is 100% Canadian and playing college ball in the US is another testament to his skill

you're right... I missed that... and I thoroughly disagree... Born in Canada, played minor ball in Canada, played high school football up to grade 12 in Canada... yes, he is Canadian... I can't imagine why someone would argue otherwise 

Sidney Crosby spent his 15-year old season at Shattuck St Mary's in Minnesota and has been in Pittsburgh since he turned 18... is he Canadian? 

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

you're right... I missed that... and I thoroughly disagree... Born in Canada, played minor ball in Canada, played high school football up to grade 12 in Canada... yes, he is Canadian... I can't imagine why someone would argue otherwise 

Sidney Crosby spent his 15-year old season at Shattuck St Mary's in Minnesota and has been in Pittsburgh since he turned 18... is he Canadian? 

Comparison doesn't really work... the development league Crosby played in was the QMJHL, the development league for Rourke was NCAA.

Honestly my beef with Rourke isn't his Canadianism, it's the fact that the guy never gave 2 shots about the CFL. Treated it like he was too good to be here.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Comparison doesn't really work... the development league Crosby played in was the QMJHL, the development league for Rourke was NCAA.

Honestly my beef with Rourke isn't his Canadianism, it's the fact that the guy never gave 2 shots about the CFL. Treated it like he was too good to be here.

At age 16 Crosby was in the Q... at age 16 Rourke was playing High school football in Oakville, Ont...

At age 18 Crosby was playing in Pittsburgh... at age 18 Rourke was playing football in Ohio (or maybe Fort Scott CC in Kansas)...

Not sure what the difference is... you're nitpicking on "development"... hockey and football have different systems... either way Rourke has played as much football in Canada as Crosby has played in Canada... technically more since he has two years of Canadian pro football too 

11 minutes ago, bearpants said:

At age 16 Crosby was in the Q... at age 16 Rourke was playing High school football in Oakville, Ont...

At age 18 Crosby was playing in Pittsburgh... at age 18 Rourke was playing football in Ohio (or maybe Fort Scott CC in Kansas)...

Not sure what the difference is... you're nitpicking on "development"... hockey and football have different systems... either way Rourke has played as much football in Canada as Crosby has played in Canada... technically more since he has two years of Canadian pro football too 

Hey it has been a long week, nitpicking is all we have until we get a practice update. I said developelment league for a reason. Football and hockey are different in that regards so the age comparison doesn't matter. 

Some have mentioned SMS savings in moving on from Bailey.  Would we really want the team to do that?  Is he really hurting the salary structure as it is?  Sure a rookie is cheaper but Bailey has proven to be clutch at critical moments.

Would rather see rejuvenating the foot soldier ranks, like Augustine, Kramdi, Briggs level guys.

51 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't think these players constitute much in savings at all once you factor in the cost of replacement for them. Bailey and Darby...maybe 25k in savings combined if replaced by rookies, Neufeld maybe 20k after you extend Dobson to replace him, and Thomas maybe 20k if you draft a rookie or sign a league min NAT to replace him. That might get one of the two mentioned extended but definitely not both and maybe not even one. Every player that leaves the salary savings are their current salary minus cost of replacement.

Dalton and Brady are currently on their rookie deals. Dalton will get 200k on the open market....easily...he might sign here for slightly less but we will need to find at minimum 100k in SMS savings, and Brady easily deserves 130-145k. That's another 70-75k in savings needed. We will need to move on from big fish to get that kind of space. The obvious wild card will be how much savings is created by the 6 game this year to offset the SMS next year.

Oliviera is not on a rookie deal.

Bailey and Darby are well into six figures.  Replace them with a rookie is 60-80k each.

Replace Neufeld with Dobson/Eli, that's almost 100k.

Augustine with a rookie is 60k difference.

If it comes down to it, I think you release a vet or a vet or 2 retires... biggie Bryant maybe? Hardrick? Neufeld.  Thomas is probably done tho. I'm keeping schoen and Brady over these guys. Cuz the above mentioneds days are closer to being over. 

I would hope the bombers would do the same if needed.  But Brady is on his 2nd contract now isn't he? 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

yeah you have to replace them...but you will be replacing them with entry level deals, or just a tad over league minimum as opposed to 3...and 4th contract guys...so the cumulative number adds up...Best bet for next yr vet deals likely to be off the books will be Darby, Lawrence, Thomas, Augustine, Briggs, Hallett, Kramdi, Kolo and maaaaybe Neuf as we need to integrate both Eli and Dobson into the starting lineup or risk losing Dobson, as Eli is locked up into 2025.

Not sure what plan is for Cole and Clement moving forward, but likely one will see the road, and we replace with a rookie...I could also see Bennett not making the cut next yr, especially if we are able to land one of, or both of Bennet and Kongbo from the Hammer.

Bailey I doubt we move away from as he is pretty key to the offence as a whole and he is dirt cheap...so bumping him up for next yr wont kill us, and he has done nothing to play himself off the team...Unless they make the decision to actually give Agudosi a real chance and see if he can fill the Bailey role, as his rep in the NFL journey was the same type of tenacious player, especially on ST's...But u can bet next yr that the Lawler/Schoen/Demski/woli quartet will be back

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah you have to replace them...but you will be replacing them with entry level deals, or just a tad over league minimum as opposed to 3...and 4th contract guys...so the cumulative number adds up...Best bet for next yr vet deals likely to be off the books will be Darby, Lawrence, Thomas, Augustine, Briggs, Hallett, Kramdi, Kolo and maaaaybe Neuf as we need to integrate both Eli and Dobson into the starting lineup or risk losing Dobson, as Eli is locked up into 2025.

Not sure what plan is for Cole and Clement moving forward, but likely one will see the road, and we replace with a rookie...I could also see Bennett not making the cut next yr, especially if we are able to land one of, or both of Bennet and Kongbo from the Hammer.

Bailey I doubt we move away from as he is pretty key to the offence as a whole and he is dirt cheap...so bumping him up for next yr wont kill us, and he has done nothing to play himself off the team...Unless they make the decision to actually give Agudosi a real chance and see if he can fill the Bailey role, as his rep in the NFL journey was the same type of tenacious player, especially on ST's...But u can bet next yr that the Lawler/Schoen/Demski/woli quartet will be back

Kramdi is on a rookie deal and if he's healthy they'll want him back but he might be looking east.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Oliviera is not on a rookie deal.

Bailey and Darby are well into six figures.  Replace them with a rookie is 60-80k each.

Replace Neufeld with Dobson/Eli, that's almost 100k.

Augustine with a rookie is 60k difference.

Augustine and Oliveria are earning nearly the same money @ $92K more or less. CFL ELC deal is about $72K?

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Kramdi is on a rookie deal and if he's healthy they'll want him back but he might be looking east.

yeah he will need a bump....and really if Ford s back....He will easily supplant what Kramdi gives us...which is average play at best...plus seems to be hurt alot

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

+1.

There are also some older vets like Miller and Benson that might be in their last season. Augudosi is probably on a 1 year deal and he isn't on the AR at the moment. He may or may not even be offered a new deal for 2024.

The 2024 team will be different. How different is just speculation but some good points are being made on how some of this might sort out.

2 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

+1.

There are also some older vets like Miller and Benson that might be in their last season. Augudosi is probably on a 1 year deal and he isn't on the AR at the moment. He may or may not even be offered a new deal for 2024.

The 2024 team will be different. How different is just speculation but some good points are being made on how some of this might sort out.

yeah forgot about those 2....Both could be replaced next yr eh....I don't see any issues regardless for us keeping who we want...Bigger question is there someone we have as a potential target, that may have a ripple effect on someone no longer needed here.

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Augustine and Oliveria are earning nearly the same money @ $92K more or less. CFL ELC deal is about $72K?

Oliviera about $115,000 with roster/housing plus some incentives.  Augustine is about $110,000 with his roster/housing bonuses, don't think he'll reach any other incentives.  50-55k saving if it's a rookie Canadian.  Less if it's a guy further along his career.

Mike Miller is another one opening up some money they might be able to use this year.  He's about $100,000 after housing.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

The min imp deal is like 65k. Vs Bailey at 100k. Darby is similar. So that’s 75k minimum.  Augustine is very close to Brady with about 100k. The cfl min for nis is 54k. Giving us another 46k for 121k. Neufeld we don’t know his salary. But it’s safe to say around 125-150k. Again that would go down by about half for some one like eli if not more. Then the ni to replace Eli would go down by another 30k. So likely that saves in the range of 60-75k for some thing in the range of 180-195k. 
 With all those savings we could add an impact cfl vet free agent and give brady the 150k range he deserves. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Oliviera about $115,000 with roster/housing plus some incentives.  Augustine is about $110,000 with his roster/housing bonuses, don't think he'll reach any other incentives.  50-55k saving if it's a rookie Canadian.  Less if it's a guy further along his career.

Mike Miller is another one opening up some money they might be able to use this year.  He's about $100,000 after housing.

I can see Augustine being moved on from....what we basically use him for is ST's and as a backup...just in case.....and we have a good track record of drafting ST demons, so he's likely gone, and maybe next yr we actually keep a true legit RB that is a rookie import, whom can be the backup returner, and have use in game on offence if we choose...

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The min imp deal is like 65k. Vs Bailey at 100k. Darby is similar. So that’s 75k minimum.  Augustine is very close to Brady with about 100k. The cfl min for nis is 54k. Giving us another 46k for 121k. Neufeld we don’t know his salary. But it’s safe to say around 125-150k. Again that would go down by about half for some one like eli if not more. Then the ni to replace Eli would go down by another 30k. So likely that saves in the range of 60-75k for some thing in the range of 180-195k. 
 With all those savings we could add an impact cfl vet free agent and give brady the 150k range he deserves. 

i can see us locking up a impact vet for defence next yr on a 2 yr deal for the grey cup at home run

50 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Some have mentioned SMS savings in moving on from Bailey.  Would we really want the team to do that?  Is he really hurting the salary structure as it is?  Sure a rookie is cheaper but Bailey has proven to be clutch at critical moments.

Would rather see rejuvenating the foot soldier ranks, like Augustine, Kramdi, Briggs level guys.

Imo not unless we find another schoen Esq star impact rookie on a cheap deal in camp. 

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

We need to get back to drafting high upside ol. Since Dobson the pipeline has been empty. And we will need to have good young guys in those back up spots, not new versions of kola. 

I can’t not imagine moving on from Cole. He’s shown soo many glimpses of being special. So it’ll probably be him going lol 

Agree. 

Just now, Booch said:

I can see Augustine being moved on from....what we basically use him for is ST's and as a backup...just in case.....and we have a good track record of drafting ST demons, so he's likely gone, and maybe next yr we actually keep a true legit RB that is a rookie import, whom can be the backup returner, and have use in game on offence if we choose...

It would be crazy to me if they didn't.  He has no role in the offense for that amount of money and is not a good special teams player.  Calgary was going right at him and walling off the contain main on the kick side for punt.

There's lots of Canadian backs around too.  Would be nice to have that H back type guy who could be passable in the backfield if really needed, at least manage pass protection if Oliviera had to go out.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

i can see us locking up a impact vet for defence next yr on a 2 yr deal for the grey cup at home run

Hopefully some one young in the defensive side. The dark side needs fresh blood. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Imo not unless we find another schoen Esq star impact rookie on a cheap deal in camp. 

We need to get back to drafting high upside ol. Since Dobson the pipeline has been empty. And we will need to have good young guys in those back up spots, not new versions of kola. 

I can’t not imagine moving on from Cole. He’s shown soo many glimpses of being special. So it’ll probably be him going lol 

Agree. 

I think in the last two drafts there's 3 OL playing regularly in the CFL this year.  There's a lot of NFLers in there and a bunch deferred.

This will be the first somewhat normal draft after the pandemic.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It would be crazy to me if they didn't.  He has no role in the offense for that amount of money and is not a good special teams player.  Calgary was going right at him and walling off the contain main on the kick side for punt.

There's lots of Canadian backs around too.  Would be nice to have that H back type guy who could be passable in the backfield if really needed, at least manage pass protection if Oliviera had to go out.

Man a good ni hback who could fill the role of Jackson would be sick. And that is sad. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think in the last two drafts there's 3 OL playing regularly in the CFL this year.  There's a lot of NFLers in there and a bunch deferred.

This will be the first somewhat normal draft after the pandemic.

You’re right that the pool has been thinner and the nfl has been digging deeper into cfl ol talent pools. 
 That said in the past we have chased guys with nfl camp invites on ol and other wise.