Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Someone in Jets management might have clued in to the fact, that Streve only needs a bit more playing time on an active roster to collect an nfl pension....I would hope that wasn't the case is why he was put on the inactive ,after looking like he'd get playing time....IF that was the case, that's pretty crappy, nfl politics at it's finest, and I don't know why Chris would want to hang around ...but I guess as long as there's a shot Streve will stick it out...Hope to see him back here next year

You think the NFL called the Jets and told them to take him off the AR because he would be closer to a pension? 

13 hours ago, Jesse said:

Collaros is locked up for the next 3 years. 

We're just following his career and hoping he qualifies for his NFL pension.

I do as well. I love Streveler but I just got tired of 5 years of those two dudes Andy Mulumba & Chris Bilikudi being on NFL practice rosters for years & never played a down here. And every move they made like going to the bathroom at some NFL practice facility was reported on here. I never meant to slight what Streeveler did for us on our Grey Cup run in 2019.  

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do as well. I love Streveler but I just got tired of 5 years of those two dudes Andy Mulumba & Chris Bilikudi being on NFL practice rosters for years & never played a down here. And every move they made like going to the bathroom at some NFL practice facility was reported on here. I never meant to slight what Streeveler did for us on our Grey Cup run in 2019.  

Yup, got tired of that too. Especially near the end.

Totally different situation here. As Strev has already player here, and won, so now we're just wishing him the best.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Point taken on the Bilikudi and Mulumba watch.

51 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

You have to also consider how bad the team was back then.  The prospect of getting two NFL caliber players offered a bit of hope. 

Now it would just be a bonus.

I wasn't that big on Bilikudi but I always thought Mulumba would be up here. Didn't realize he would hold us hostage for a huge contract and make us walk away.

2 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I can't see Alford ever coming back - He's had a "game winning" play on defense two weeks now (beautiful pass knockdown to pull the game into OT) 

As long as he doensn't start to have injury problems I can't see him getting cut.

Yeah, he's not just collecting a pay cheque like many CFL'ers who catch on with an NFL team.  He's been one of their better defenders and still has room to grow/learn.

14 hours ago, Geebrr said:

You think the NFL called the Jets and told them to take him off the AR because he would be closer to a pension? 

There's a lot of backroom bull$hit we never hear about up here....And let me make myself clear....I said could've been that way....That league has pulled off a lot worse than that but it just looks bad....IF it was to protect him from another club's claim....could be also but I'll stick with the pension angle...Streve is close to qualifying ...hope for the best for him

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

There's a lot of backroom bull$hit we never hear about up here....And let me make myself clear....I said could've been that way....That league has pulled off a lot worse than that but it just looks bad....IF it was to protect him from another club's claim....could be also but I'll stick with the pension angle...Streve is close to qualifying ...hope for the best for him

There is a crap load of collusion amongst the owners to blackball fringe NFLers who are just a few games shy of pension. This is a well known fact. Many guys career prospects dry up suddenly as they approach that number even if they are still useful players.

thats the NFL thing...politics...bs....biases and business....so many guys have wasted away with nothing to show for it, as their careers amounted to nothing...Strev is right in the sweet spot for how guys are used and abused.....Schoen will be in a similar spot...minus the couple yrs of PR stashing...He wont get a legit shot if he tries...he's a walk on...undrafted...2x fail at tryouts, and the coupe de grace...a CFL defectee....if he isnt offered upfront money he should sign a 2..3 yr deal here...with the guaranteed money like others are doing....not to mention he gonna be 27 during the yr next year...

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

thats the NFL thing...politics...bs....biases and business....so many guys have wasted away with nothing to show for it, as their careers amounted to nothing...Strev is right in the sweet spot for how guys are used and abused.....Schoen will be in a similar spot...minus the couple yrs of PR stashing...He wont get a legit shot if he tries...he's a walk on...undrafted...2x fail at tryouts, and the coupe de grace...a CFL defectee....if he isnt offered upfront money he should sign a 2..3 yr deal here...with the guaranteed money like others are doing....not to mention he gonna be 27 during the yr next year...

I can't blame any of these guys for chasing it, PR makes more money than they can make up here as a general rule. WIth the state of our dollar factored in they are making good money and if activated for a few games it becomes significantly higher.  However, once you are booted from one team's PR you should just give up the ghost and cash in over here. Your chances of sticking somewhere else even on their PR becomes remote.

Edited by GCn20

20 hours ago, Jesse said:

Yup, got tired of that too. Especially near the end.

Totally different situation here. As Strev has already player here, and won, so now we're just wishing him the best.

Those guys egos were so big they were in danger of hitting the ISS space station with their heads. They never had any intention of ever playing here. The CFL was always beneath them. Walters as Asst GM tried to tell Joe Mack not to draft them but he wouldn't listen. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Those guys egos were so big they were in danger of hitting the ISS space station with their heads. They never had any intention of ever playing here. The CFL was always beneath them. Walters as Asst GM tried to tell Joe Mack not to draft them but he wouldn't listen. 

Did Walters tell him that? I haven't heard anything to that effect. Mulumba talked a great game when he was drafted..how honored he was and how he would be up in Winnipeg in a New York minute if the NFL didn't work out. Bilikudi was simply a 3rd round BPA. A gamble that didn't pay off. Mack drafted piss poor for sure but all GMs screw some picks up. Mack was Mulumba, Walter's had Ekakitie...it is what it is. Mulumba would have been a beast in the CFL but he wouldn't play on an entry level contract...so be it.

20 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah, he's not just collecting a pay cheque like many CFL'ers who catch on with an NFL team.  He's been one of their better defenders and still has room to grow/learn.

That being said it is the NFL. Roster churn and shiny draft picks are common there.

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Did Walters tell him that? I haven't heard anything to that effect. Mulumba talked a great game when he was drafted..how honored he was and how he would be up in Winnipeg in a New York minute if the NFL didn't work out. Bilikudi was simply a 3rd round BPA. A gamble that didn't pay off. Mack drafted piss poor for sure but all GMs screw some picks up. Mack was Mulumba, Walter's had Ekakitie...it is what it is. Mulumba would have been a beast in the CFL but he wouldn't play on an entry level contract...so be it.

Yeah, never heard that.

We had an in with the Packers at the time and were told that Mulumba was a long shot, iirc.

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, never heard that.

We had an in with the Packers at the time and were told that Mulumba was a long shot, iirc.

Yea...I think it was Joe Mack's buddy Dom Capers that signed Mulumba and led him to believe he was TCF and would be available to the Bombers. Even still we did have a chance to sign him in 2018. Mulumba wanted to play, wanted to come to the CFL, but Walters was restrained by SMS and lowballed him and couldn't offer him the one year deal he wanted (no option year at that time). His agent then went goofy nuts and crapped all over the CFL and demanded a trade, and I would assume no other team would touch him with a 10 foot pole after realizing his agent was goofy nuts and was demanding big salary if he was to sign for more than a year.

Edited by GCn20

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Yeah.....Mulumba and his agent just shite all over themselves as far as the CFL was concerned.....Went off into retirement and missed out on some real nice gravy....guess they liked to refuse money   lol

Guys like that all the talent in the world but no real heart or desire to play. 
 Honestly I don’t fault mack for those two picks. Atleast they would’ve had a chance to contribute if they played here. Not like pencer and some of the other trash he drafted. Or that we drafted before walters took over. 
 Ekakitie sucked. But I get why they made that pick. Huge upside good head on his shoulders ratio breaking starter stuff with strong d1 pedigree. 
 I’d a taken judge. But I also really liked randy colling junior luke vandervoort and behar. We still got gray out of that first round cus when he’s the head cheese walters seldom misses on ol. 

13 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Then he wasted his pro career. I don't have a lot of sympathy for players complaining about the lack of $$$ out there after the NFL. It is what it is. He would have been paid pretty well as a CFL player. BUt hey, stay on NFL PR's. Okay, the money's better but no one knows who you are. Stay invisible on a PR. 

Being on a practice squad, I’d argue, helps a player network for their time after being a player. Cliff Kingsbury comes to mind. 5 NFL teams primarily on the PR or injured, the AL’s and the Bombers qb. Now a renowned NFL coach - until he gets fired - soon.

Edited by Rod Black

On 2022-10-31 at 10:01 AM, Stickem said:

If he was on the 53 man roster for the week wouldn't he get a game credit towards his pension even if he was a healthy scratch on game day? They didn't send him back to the practice roster -- they kept him on the active roster, just inactive on game day

10 hours ago, kschach said:

If he was on the 53 man roster for the week wouldn't he get a game credit towards his pension even if he was a healthy scratch on game day? They didn't send him back to the practice roster -- they kept him on the active roster, just inactive on game day

Yes, it appears you are correct. Games spent on the 53 are pensionable games even if you are inactive.