Covid-19

JCon

Heard On the news today that virloigists believe 2 doses of vaccine only 35% effective and 3 doses only 75% effective vs Omicron. They absolutely have to change the definition of "fully vaxxed" and the passport programs need to remain UFN.... 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Heard On the news today that virloigists believe 2 doses of vaccine only 35% effective and 3 doses only 75% effective vs Omicron. They absolutely have to change the definition of "fully vaxxed" and the passport programs need to remain UFN.... 

Is that for infection or severe outcomes?  

43 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Is that for infection or severe outcomes?  

Just said "offers protection"... Didn't specify. But either way, 3 doses is a bare minimum at this point, and hopefully more specific vaccines come before long. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Just said "offers protection"... Didn't specify. But either way, 3 doses is a bare minimum at this point, and hopefully more specific vaccines come before long. 

3 doses are 60 - 70% effective at preventing infection. Preventing severe out comes - over 90%.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/scott-moe-vaccination-covid-19-not-reducing-transmission-1.6332710

I think we need to understand that the Covid vaccine has similarities to the regular flu shot, which also has break through infections, and has had for a long time. 

Friend of family... Retired parents go to Mexico for winter. Didn't qualify for second dose before leaving (don't know why) but gets sick with an appendicitis, goes to hospital. They do a blood test and there are no Covid vaccine antibodies left.

I'm not sure the timeline between their second dose and the test but that's a bit disturbing, no? No vaccine antibodies left and that would be around 6 months, longest, since the second dose. 

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

Friend of family... Retired parents go to Mexico for winter. Didn't qualify for second dose before leaving (don't know why) but gets sick with an appendicitis, goes to hospital. They do a blood test and there are no Covid vaccine antibodies left.

I'm not sure the timeline between their second dose and the test but that's a bit disturbing, no? No vaccine antibodies left and that would be around 6 months, longest, since the second dose. 

FWIW, my doctor told me you can't really gauge the vaccine effectiveness by the amount of antibodies detected in the blood. He told me he got his blood tested specifically after he got the shot and was not showing any antibodies. I have no reason to suspect he was lying or uninformed, but I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny that.

The answer was in response to knowing how well I might be protected from the vax given that I likely didn't receive the full effects due to an autoimmune condition.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Based on all the reading I have done:

- Antibodies prevent initial infection, wane over time

- Memory / T cells prevent severe infection, last a lot longer

Could be way off, so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Based on all the reading I have done:

- Antibodies prevent initial infection, wane over time

- Memory / T cells prevent severe infection, last a lot longer

Could be way off, so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes. I got that as first hand info from our local Public Health Nurse.

She also said they knew far about Delta than they know about Omicron. 

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think the only thing we can reasonably predict is that any subsequent variant will be more infectious than the previous, otherwise it wouldn't spread. I guess it could also evolve to develop longer periods where an individual remains infectious as well, while still remaining as infectious. With the amount of vaccinated people becoming infected, I would also guess developing increasing resistance to vaccines would have a good chance of evolving.

We can hope that severity wouldn't increase with each mutation, but I'm not sure that is a given. I'd be interested for any articles or interviews on this subject if anyone has any.

Just now, WildPath said:

I'd be interested for any articles or interviews on this subject if anyone has any.

So I'm not a human doctor but I am an aspiring plant doctor. I have a limited grasp on plant viruses, and though we are not plants the viruses we host are not all that different in their modes. Especially not in their end goal which is to live and spread and they can't do that in a dead host. If it has time and supply, presumably the virus will fine tune to just be enough of an ******* to keep us sick indefinitely, but still hosting and spreading until something else finishes us off without ever directly being the 'cause of death'.

I can confidently say that viruses hosted in plants have been around a lot longer than most human-hosted viruses for sure... (plants were here before we were, generally) and these viruses have fine-tuned themselves over millenia to maximize the time they can live and spread within a host before it succumbs to whatever else is killing it and the virus must spread in order to live (can't live in a dead host, obvs). Again speaking generally, plant viruses don't kill a plant, that's never the goal... it just weakens it to other attacks that cumulatively take it down.

Now how a virus reacts when only 80%-90% of a tightly packed population gets vaxxed? No idea, never been done with plants that I know of. Plant viruses don't get vaccines*, they get suppressed by eradicating infected crops (I think this is a bad idea to do that to people, just to be clear!) or they hybridize the plant to improve it's resistance to known viruses. Since we humans are all the same species sadly we have nothing to hybridize with. Maybe Bat Boy, and I just don't trust bats right now.

*There is one plant considered valuable enough to whip up a vaccine in order to stop a virus, and that is tobacco. When TMV (or tobacco mosaic virus) hit, growers didn't have to worry about 30% of their field being vaccine hesitant, lucky them

9 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

So I'm not a human doctor but I am an aspiring plant doctor. I have a limited grasp on plant viruses, and though we are not plants the viruses we host are not all that different in their modes. Especially not in their end goal which is to live and spread and they can't do that in a dead host. If it has time and supply, presumably the virus will fine tune to just be enough of an ******* to keep us sick indefinitely, but still hosting and spreading until something else finishes us off without ever directly being the 'cause of death'.

I can confidently say that viruses hosted in plants have been around a lot longer than most human-hosted viruses for sure... (plants were here before we were, generally) and these viruses have fine-tuned themselves over millenia to maximize the time they can live and spread within a host before it succumbs to whatever else is killing it and the virus must spread in order to live (can't live in a dead host, obvs). Again speaking generally, plant viruses don't kill a plant, that's never the goal... it just weakens it to other attacks that cumulatively take it down.

Now how a virus reacts when only 80%-90% of a tightly packed population gets vaxxed? No idea, never been done with plants that I know of. Plant viruses don't get vaccines*, they get suppressed by eradicating infected crops (I think this is a bad idea to do that to people, just to be clear!) or they hybridize the plant to improve it's resistance to known viruses. Since we humans are all the same species sadly we have nothing to hybridize with. Maybe Bat Boy, and I just don't trust bats right now.

*There is one plant considered valuable enough to whip up a vaccine in order to stop a virus, and that is tobacco. When TMV (or tobacco mosaic virus) hit, growers didn't have to worry about 30% of their field being vaccine hesitant, lucky them

The issue around COVID (that've I've heard anyway...don't take this as gospel) is that because it spreads so well before symptoms appear...it could become stronger without impacting it's ability to spread.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The issue around COVID (that've I've heard anyway...don't take this as gospel) is that because it spreads so well before symptoms appear...it could become stronger without impacting it's ability to spread.

Definitely a scary thought but if my logic holds that only hastens the virus towards the tipping point of 'I'm killing my hosts and running out of places to live, I need to tone it down and be the flu'... good for those left to see it happen, bad for everyone it tore though to get there

43 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Definitely a scary thought but if my logic holds that only hastens the virus towards the tipping point of 'I'm killing my hosts and running out of places to live, I need to tone it down and be the flu'... good for those left to see it happen, bad for everyone it tore though to get there

Exactly what I would think. It definitely could get stronger, but it likely wouldn't select to get stronger transmission>severity. That being said, I once read an opinion that Omicron is expected to infect 3 billion people. Rolling the dice that many times and hoping that it never gets a more severe mutation that is either equally or more transmissible is a bit scary. I think Jeff Goldblum should synthesize experts opinions and present it to the public through his Jurassic Park character.

In regards to Tobacco, that is the plant being used to develop the Canadian Medicago vax - Medicago: Plant-based COVID-19 vaccine sees good results | CTV News

Spotify’s response to being asked to show their moral and ethical compass to stop providing people a platform to spew lies, misinformation and absurdity about this pandemic that is literally aiding in killing people and/or their livelihoods: F off sheeple, our shareholders are making billions and billions of dollars off this.

Spotify’s response to that same moral and ethical compass issue but this time seeing billion dollar losses: We are taking a serious look at our policies and guidelines and tightening them up to ensure no one is using our platform to distribute misinformation, rest assured.