Covid-19

JCon

40 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To repeat myself, it will take a couple of prosecutions and conviction for criminal negligence causing harm/death for the cretins to wake up.

To repeat myself, it will take a couple of prosecutions and conviction for criminal negligence causing harm/death for the cretins to wake up.

I have no problem with you and others repeating this over and over again until in happens and happens in a consistent way.

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Honest question, and try to ignore the dumb protests, convoy and rhetoric. What is the public health rationale for forcing truckers to be vaccinated to cross the border?

I've wondered this as well. I spent about a decade working in that industry and a lot of truckers could be described as loners (not in a negative way). Live almost entirely in their trucks, have small families if any at all. And even when dropping/picking up trailers there is minimal if any contact with someone else...and even then it's mostly outside.

But I firmly believe this protest is 100% about the $$. Someone is going to be making a lot of it through this and it's not going to change a damn thing. I feel sorry those dumb enough to join in/donate to it...well not that sorry.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Honest question, and try to ignore the dumb protests, convoy and rhetoric. What is the public health rationale for forcing truckers to be vaccinated to cross the border?

Great question (I mean that) however how can one tease this specific scenario out with just being a good community citizen knowing that putting this Heath Canada approved substance into me lessens the public heath risk for others and and/or their livelihoods.  

Worker absenteeism — not trucker vaccine mandates — impacting store shelves: Metro (yahoo.com)

According to the CEO of a major national retailer, the effects of the trucker vaccine mandates are not the primary reason to blame for inflation and empty shelves at grocery stores - people being affected by Covid is.

Unfortunately this does not stop many politicians in Canada from pointing the finger at Trudeau (ignoring that a US vaccine mandate exists) and saying that Trudeau is to blame and he is the one responsible for causing divisiveness amongst Canadians. Totally ignoring that there are more provincial mandates than federal.

Incredibly disappointing that we have politicians that see what is going on in the US and realize how much easier it is to manipulate the dumb and ignorant rather than develop policy that is attractive and effective. Andrew Scheer and Pierre Poilievre surely know and understand the situation, but are using the idiocy of those involved to score political points. The same way Mitch McConnel and and Co. are doing in the states.

"If you see empty shelves blame Justin Trudeau." 🙄

Just now, WildPath said:

Worker absenteeism — not trucker vaccine mandates — impacting store shelves: Metro (yahoo.com)

According to the CEO of a major national retailer, the effects of the trucker vaccine mandates are not the primary reason to blame for inflation and empty shelves at grocery stores - people being affected by Covid is.

Unfortunately this does not stop many politicians in Canada from pointing the finger at Trudeau (ignoring that a US vaccine mandate exists) and saying that Trudeau is to blame and he is the one responsible for causing divisiveness amongst Canadians. Totally ignoring that there are more provincial mandates than federal.

Incredibly disappointing that we have politicians that see what is going on in the US and realize how much easier it is to manipulate the dumb and ignorant rather than develop policy that is attractive and effective. Andrew Scheer and Pierre Poilievre surely know and understand the situation, but are using the idiocy of those involved to score political points. The same way Mitch McConnel and and Co. are doing in the states.

"If you see empty shelves blame Justin Trudeau." 🙄

Keep in mind also that the vaccine mandate for truckers just came in... empty shelves has been an issue for a while.

I'd also like to point out that the truckers that are protesting are only about 3% of the truckers in the country, so just a very vocal minority that are able to be louder due to the right wing nut jobs that have latched on to their "cause" and added their voices to it even though they really have no skin in the game.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Keep in mind also that the vaccine mandate for truckers just came in... empty shelves has been an issue for a while.

I'd also like to point out that the truckers that are protesting are only about 3% of the truckers in the country, so just a very vocal minority that are able to be louder due to the right wing nut jobs that have latched on to their "cause" and added their voices to it even though they really have no skin in the game.

The Wexit people are in on the protests and Trump banners have been reported. I support the testing. If you come back infected, you can spread it quickly to many people, some of whom who are vulnerable. We have enough Covidiots locally that we do not need to add to that number, and for truckers, its part of the cost of doing business. My son and daughter in law recently returned from Hawaii and were tested going and returning, and considered it as necessary- no big deal.

"Son of omicron" variant worries public health officials amid new wave of COVID-19 infections.  The variant, known as BA.2, has been identified in over 40 countries and seems to spread very quickly

As the omicron variant became the dominant strain in the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists began to nervously observe that we knew very little about its origin. If this unusually vaccine-evasive and infectious mutant can arise seemingly out of nowhere, they warned, it is entirely possible that another related virus might pop up and surprise everyone. Some even speculated that omicron itself could mutate into a new virus that would present a different range of problems for scientists trying to study them.

New reports from California reveal that this last warning may have been prophetic.

The California Department of Health confirmed on Tuesday that it had identified 11 cases throughout the state of BA.2, a sub-variant of omicron. At the time of this writing, 96 people around the country in total have been diagnosed with the BA.2 sub-variant in the United States. The World Health Organization (WHO) has dubbed the strain a "variant of concern," or a virus that will spread more rapidly, hinder public health precautions more effectively or in some way prove to be more dangerous than other forms of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (which causes COVID-19). Unfortunately, there are early signs it may be more transmissible than the earlier strain of omicron (now known as BA.1), as Imperial College London virologist Tom Peacock opined on Twitter.

"Any variant that proves to be able to transmit more efficiently will cause more cases, and therefore likely more hospitalisations," Pam Vallely, a professor of medical virology at the University of Manchester, told Newsweek. "But we cannot infer anything meaningful from the limited data available for this variant so far."

"Son of omicron" variant worries public health officials amid new wave of COVID-19 infections | Salon.com

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

"Son of omicron" variant worries public health officials amid new wave of COVID-19 infections.  The variant, known as BA.2, has been identified in over 40 countries and seems to spread very quickly

As the omicron variant became the dominant strain in the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists began to nervously observe that we knew very little about its origin. If this unusually vaccine-evasive and infectious mutant can arise seemingly out of nowhere, they warned, it is entirely possible that another related virus might pop up and surprise everyone. Some even speculated that omicron itself could mutate into a new virus that would present a different range of problems for scientists trying to study them.

New reports from California reveal that this last warning may have been prophetic.

The California Department of Health confirmed on Tuesday that it had identified 11 cases throughout the state of BA.2, a sub-variant of omicron. At the time of this writing, 96 people around the country in total have been diagnosed with the BA.2 sub-variant in the United States. The World Health Organization (WHO) has dubbed the strain a "variant of concern," or a virus that will spread more rapidly, hinder public health precautions more effectively or in some way prove to be more dangerous than other forms of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (which causes COVID-19). Unfortunately, there are early signs it may be more transmissible than the earlier strain of omicron (now known as BA.1), as Imperial College London virologist Tom Peacock opined on Twitter.

"Any variant that proves to be able to transmit more efficiently will cause more cases, and therefore likely more hospitalisations," Pam Vallely, a professor of medical virology at the University of Manchester, told Newsweek. "But we cannot infer anything meaningful from the limited data available for this variant so far."

"Son of omicron" variant worries public health officials amid new wave of COVID-19 infections | Salon.com

BC already has cases of it....we're just such a long way from ever being done with this pandemic. 

There is no such thing as being done with a virus.

Even when we get enough people vaccinated, or they acquire natural immunity, to mostly stabilize it within the general population

Even then, there will still be breakthroughs, serious infections and deaths.

But none of that should mean that lockdowns need to continue, they are just not sustainable

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Even when we get enough people vaccinated, or they acquire natural immunity, to mostly stabilize it within the general population

Even then, there will still be breakthroughs, serious infections and deaths.

But none of that should mean that lockdowns need to continue, they are just not sustainable

we've never had anything remotely close to a lockdown in Canada, so they would have to begin before they could continue.... 

4 hours ago, Sard said:

I have a lot of friends on social media who aren't the most intelligent people and they've been promoting the whole convoy / store shelves being empty thing a bunch. Extremely frustrating.

If they knew who was backing it and what they stand for, they would quickly change their tune. They're ignorant, not jerks like those behind the protest and many of those in the protest.

Unfortunately the situation has been seized upon by some a-holes looking to get their own 'stop the steal' going in Canada and they've done it fairly effectively.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Poliovirus - Wikipedia

Measles - Wikipedia

I guess we are not technically 100% done with these viruses, but they are pretty under control. Not saying we can get to the same place with Covid, I have no clue, but effectively wiping out viruses is possible.

Genuinely interested to hear how you would like us to approach the virus and restrictions. I'd agree that a lot of what we've been doing lately does not make sense in terms of what is allowed and what isn't if that's all you're saying.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I have a lot of friends on social media who aren't the most intelligent people and they've been promoting the whole convoy / store shelves being empty thing a bunch. Extremely frustrating.

If they knew who was backing it and what they stand for, they would quickly change their tune. They're ignorant, not jerks like those behind the protest and many of those in the protest.

Unfortunately the situation has been seized upon by some a-holes looking to get their own 'stop the steal' going in Canada and they've done it fairly effectively.

That's the sad part of the whole thing.  I know people who talked to some of the truckers.

They're good people, they mean well, but this is not going to achieve anything close to what they believe it will.

It reminds of a book by Bryce Courtney (Sylvia) about the Children's Crusade. 

They were on their way to the Holy Land, and they were convinced that their leader would walk on water, right across the Mediterranean.

1 minute ago, WildPath said:

Poliovirus - Wikipedia

Measles - Wikipedia

I guess we are not technically 100% done with these viruses, but they are pretty under control. Not saying we can get to the same place with Covid, I have no clue, but effectively wiping out viruses is possible.

Genuinely interested to hear how you would like us to approach the virus and restrictions. I'd agree that a lot of what we've been doing lately does not make sense in terms of what is allowed and what isn't if that's all you're saying.

That is all I'm saying.  It's been mostly window dressing for several months, we may as well do away with every thing. 

Keep vaccinating, keep asking people to isolate as needed.  

And I see no real purpose in getting the last 10% of truckers vaccinated

Unvaccinated teachers can continue to work, as long as they take a rapid test several times a week.  This is true both in Canada and across the border.

But we're going to mandate vaccination for one of the most isolated segments of the population?

27 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Unvaccinated teachers can continue to work, as long as they take a rapid test several times a week. 

Personally in any industry where you deal with the public, I think they should just have the unvaccinated deal with the unvaccinated. You're an unvaccinated nurse? Okay, you get to deal with unvaccinated hospital patients. Unvaccinated teacher? Into the cohort of unvaccinated students etc. etc.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That's the sad part of the whole thing.  I know people who talked to some of the truckers.

They're good people, they mean well, but this is not going to achieve anything close to what they believe it will.

It reminds of a book by Bryce Courtney (Sylvia) about the Children's Crusade. 

They were on their way to the Holy Land, and they were convinced that their leader would walk on water, right across the Mediterranean.

I'm sure that some of them are good people, but I've heard some of them yelling racial slurs and personally know a few supporters that have some pretty horrible views on race, homosexuality, etc. etc. I would be shocked if a good contingent of the ones participating did not hold similar discriminatory views. There is surely a strong correlation by right wing extremist views and this convoy.

It is unfortunate that they feel powerless in our system, but I put a lot of the blame on dog whistle politics.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That is all I'm saying.  It's been mostly window dressing for several months, we may as well do away with every thing. 

Keep vaccinating, keep asking people to isolate as needed.  

And I see no real purpose in getting the last 10% of truckers vaccinated

Unvaccinated teachers can continue to work, as long as they take a rapid test several times a week.  This is true both in Canada and across the border.

But we're going to mandate vaccination for one of the most isolated segments of the population?

There has been a lot of window dressing and high risk situations being fully open when other areas face more severe restrictions. I think this has been one reason so many people are sick of restrictions - they often don't make sense "If _______ is open, why can't I __________". Having bars open around Christmas while telling people to only gather with a small amount of family members comes to mind. If they would come right out and say "we are keeping these industries open for economic reasons" that would at least be more acceptable than to just ignore it outright and go ahead with nonsensical restrictions.

Both US and Canada require people to be vaccinated to cross the border, are you saying truckers should be exempt from both rules? There's no mandate that truckers get vaccinated anymore than there is for the rest of the population. Is there any other population that you think should be exempt from the rules on both sides of the border?

I can see the argument for truckers somewhat, but not for teachers, seeing as they are in one of the most dense workplaces that exist in our society. Having them unvaccinated puts others at heightened risk. The same with healthcare professionals, especially since they are dealing with especially vulnerable people. I don't agree with mandatory/enforced vaccinations, but trying to protect people from the stupidity/selfishness of others makes sense to me. I have no problem with them dealing with the consequences of not getting vaccinated when our healthcare system is being dragged down by them.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Personally in any industry where you deal with the public, I think they should just have the unvaccinated deal with the unvaccinated. You're an unvaccinated nurse? Okay, you get to deal with unvaccinated hospital patients. Unvaccinated teacher? Into the cohort of unvaccinated students etc. etc.

We'd need way more unvaccinated medical professionals for this to work or accepting that unvaccinated people will get less attention and a lower standard of care. And we'd have to ignore aerosol transmission in buildings. Ignoring the realities of the situation, I think both vaccinated and unvaccinated people should be fine with this.

Edited by WildPath

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-isolation-covid-1.6329476

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's isolating for five days after he was exposed to COVID-19.

The prime minister tweeted Thursday that he learned of the exposure Wednesday night. While he said his rapid test result was negative, he is following Ottawa Public Health's guidelines to stay at home.

"I feel fine and will be working from home," he tweeted. "Stay safe, everyone — and please get vaccinated."

The prime minister did not reveal in his tweet how he was exposed to COVID-19.

His isolation means Trudeau will not be physically in the House of Commons on Monday, which resumes after the holiday break.

Covidiot Clown Convoy: "How convenient!"

When I see someone holding up a placard that says Freedom, I’m confused. What does that actually mean , not just in relation to this current pandemic but as a HumanBeing currently residing on the planet Earth? And what relation does Freedom have with Social Responsibility?

ffs

Edited by HardCoreBlue