Bombers release Chris Matthews

trueBlue83

Just now, Colin Unger said:

He wasn’t making the kind of catches he was being paid to make. Darvin was practicing last week.

Agreed. He didn't look like the same guy from years past. One play in particular from last game stands out. It was a 25+ yard pass over the middle, good throw, and he had inside position on the DB but failed to highpoint the ball and it allowed the DB to make a play for an incompletion. A 6'5 "star" receiver making what he does needs to make that play all day.

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

He wasn’t making the kind of catches he was being paid to make. Darvin was practicing last week.

Exactly. After that drop in Edm, something just wasnt right. The HB didnt make that play, Matthews flat out dropped it. The same way he dropped the pass on the sidelines at home. He caught some, but dropped the important ones. Not completely surprised by the move, but the timing isnt great....especially because he can just go sign anywhere now..........

Also what's the chances this is a cap move? Zylstra still in the good books in MN?

I don't like this at all.   The bombers passing game even with Nichols has been friggen pathetic.   We had two awesome receivers in Adams and Matthews.    Maybe design an offence that targets both of these receivers effectively and hey maybe the passing numbers might get better.   I remember in training camp Nichols was raving about Matthews and Adams.   I agree with Doug Brown, this will come back to bite us.

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We say this a lot about guys we release but I don't think this management has a bad track record for it. 

It's funny that we typically have the reverse reaction of rider fans...

When riders cut someone... riders fans: "he was a bum anyways, who needs em"

When bombers cut someone... Bomber fans: "oh no... this is going to haunt us!"

Just now, bearpants said:

It's funny that we typically have the reverse reaction of rider fans...

When riders cut someone... riders fans: "he was a bum anyways, who needs em"

When bombers cut someone... Bomber fans: "oh no... this is going to haunt us!"

I'm fine with that !

I mentioned it in the thread about the bar fight and everyone laughed and shot me down. The release has a lot to do with the fight and there was a lot more that happend that night that was ever revealed. We may find out now what happend but probably not. 

This along with the injuries and poor play was his demise. Unfortunate.

23 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Getting open and catching passes.

Ha! Yeah, I think the former Bomber at my gym ranting about the Bomber receivers not being able to get open may have been referring primarily to Matthews. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

I bet he ends up in Montreal or Ottawa..and lights it up

Agree on Montreal or Ottawa. Disagree on lighting it up. His 12 reception, 180 yard season can't entirely be blamed on LaPo or Nichols. If he were consistently beating his man, and not dropping passes his production would have been higher. And, let's say he does better elsewhere. Okay. Realistically he averaged 2 receptions per game for us. That can be easily replaced. 

5 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I don't like this at all.   The bombers passing game even with Nichols has been friggen pathetic.   We had two awesome receivers in Adams and Matthews.    Maybe design an offence that targets both of these receivers effectively and hey maybe the passing numbers might get better.   I remember in training camp Nichols was raving about Matthews and Adams.   I agree with Doug Brown, this will come back to bite us.

That's fair, but he did drop a decent amount of footballs. Along with making some interesting choices off the field.

Dont like the timing of this though

4 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I mentioned it in the thread about the bar fight and everyone laughed and shot me down. The release has a lot to do with the fight and there was a lot more that happend that night that was ever revealed. We may find out now what happend but probably not. 

This along with the injuries and poor play was his demise. Unfortunate.

after that run by Big Chris to the Edmonton 3 yard line Matthews came running over and offered Strevs a high five and a hand up, and Big Chris just shrugged him off and kind of ghosted him.  I thought "That was odd" at the time and re-watched it several times.  Big Chris is usually the first to give a team-mate a high five/congrats, so it was out of character for him to shun Matthews like that, especially after a big run.  Something wasn't right.

Edited by kelownabomberfan