Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Excellent signing.

Full time job from BOD member looks like the clincher. Yes, it's a way to pay players under the table and outside the SMS. Yes. It's good business. Yes. It's good to let players know that we can and will find ways to get them paid. No, I don't think Bighill signs with us right now without it. His CFL salary would be very similar no matter where he played.

It's a good day in Bomberland.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

well for sure  that connection would easily had a hand in getting him the outside of football gig...but by no means is any of the Altus job salary being part of his CFL salary to cheat the cap..it is above and beyond that....but it is an excellent negotiating angle to use/have in allowing a player to know he has a guaranteed job/income once the season is over if he signs here...same thing with CGY for years having some guys playing on cheap contracts..BLM for one comes to mind...there is no law or rule saying a person can't hold down 2 paying gigs at the same time unrelated to each other...more power to your organization in the CFL if you can achieve that luxury...

Wellington-Altus also has a history of having professional athletes on staff requiring flexibility (Jennifer Jones), so it's definitely not just because the owner happens to be married to a member of the board.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Excellent signing.

Full time job from BOD member looks like the clincher. Yes, it's a way to pay players under the table and outside the SMS. Yes. It's good business. Yes. It's good to let players know that we can and will find ways to get them paid. No, I don't think Bighill signs with us right now without it. His CFL salary would be very similar no matter where he played.

It's a good day in Bomberland.

It's not a way to pay players under the table. No way Spiring hires Bighill if he doesn't think that he gets every penny invested back in new clients and exposure. Wellington-Altus is making a business decision here. 

Yeah getting a guy a 2nd job isn't anything more than that. I doubt they're paying the guy to do nothing, he will be expected to perform his duties in this other job in order to get paid just like he will be expected to do his job on the football field to earn his paycheque that way. 

If the guy is concerned about his family and where they live having a job to fall back on to help convince them to move cities is a big boon. All in all the Bombers played this well (up yours Saskatchewan, trying to make Regina seem like the only place there's a career outside football, go **** yourselves). This organization has become one of the most desirable in the league. NIce change after all the chaos they had firing everyone at the drop of a hat. 

Farhan Lalji Retweeted WPG Blue Bombers

Can’t question the #Bombers commitment to @Bighill44 who is still in his prime. He will now be the highest paid defensive player in @CFL with a deal that averages more than 250k per year in hard money. @CFLonTSN

1 hour ago, Booch said:

well for sure  that connection would easily had a hand in getting him the outside of football gig...but by no means is any of the Altus job salary being part of his CFL salary to cheat the cap..it is above and beyond that....but it is an excellent negotiating angle to use/have in allowing a player to know he has a guaranteed job/income once the season is over if he signs here...same thing with CGY for years having some guys playing on cheap contracts..BLM for one comes to mind...there is no law or rule saying a person can't hold down 2 paying gigs at the same time unrelated to each other...more power to your organization in the CFL if you can achieve that luxury...

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that BLM's wife has a high paying job in Calgary working in the Provincial health service.

Which reminds me of the George Gratzer case. Back in the late 60's I used to eat lunch with, among others, a couple of guys who were studying mathematics at the U of M. I remember them telling us about Professor Gratzer, who was on the maths staff, and saying that this man is a world class mathematician and there's no way that he should be here. He should be at Harvard or Standford, someplace like that.

The thing is that both Gratzer and his wife were Hungarian, and his wife qualified as a dentist in Hungary. She wanted to work as a dentist but the American dentist's union wouldn't recognize her qualifications. Someone from the U of M's math dept was at a conference and found out about this. So he phoned up the Dentistry Dept at the U of M and said that we'd love to make him an offer but can you sort out his wife's qualification issues. Problem solved. Gratzer came to Winnipeg and has been here ever since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Grätzer

It's good to see the Bombers continuing this tradition.

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Salty Rider fans saying he’ll get hurt in training camp or pre season. Heck of a prediction!! Great signing. Gotta pay the guys worth paying!! 

On CFL.ca, I read a Stamps fan say that this was good news because it meant that Singleton was definitely coming back to Calgary or they would have signed Bighill.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

250K X3 is a lot of cake but he is a true difference maker and worth every penny! He seems to elevate the play of the guys around him.

Yeah, it's a ton of cash but he's involved in almost every defensive play and is a leader. I just hope he's lining up next to JSK next year. That's quite the duo!

Edited by JCon

Just now, JCon said:

Yeah, it's a ton of cash but he's involved in almost every play and is a leader. I just hope he's lining up next to JSK next year. That's quite the duo!

I think JSK will be back. Apparently he's still dealing with his injury and isn't close to 100% yet. Gonna be hard to show the NFL teams what you've got when youre still hobbled. Plus the Biggie signing will help get him back.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah getting a guy a 2nd job isn't anything more than that. I doubt they're paying the guy to do nothing, he will be expected to perform his duties in this other job in order to get paid just like he will be expected to do his job on the football field to earn his paycheque that way. 

If the guy is concerned about his family and where they live having a job to fall back on to help convince them to move cities is a big boon. All in all the Bombers played this well (up yours Saskatchewan, trying to make Regina seem like the only place there's a career outside football, go **** yourselves). This organization has become one of the most desirable in the league. NIce change after all the chaos they had firing everyone at the drop of a hat. 

This is a win win for both..... in Manitoba, Bighill and his family can afford a nice house, and if they choose to stay here, which it looks like the pieces are being set up for, can also buy/build a cabin for the same or similar price to what it would cost them for much less in the GVA.    The upside outside of football, if Bighill is a big piece, which he certainly would be, of bringing a Grey Cup back to Winnipeg, he becomes an instant legend amongst the fan base, which makes his step into his off season/post season career that much easier!  Not only do we get our most sought after free agent, a local business gets a huge piece to their business as well for the foreseeable future if that's infact what has happened!