Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Mission accomplished. They didn't mind him leaving the division but not to the Riders.  Ya I'm sure Paul doesn't want to make more money and only be 5 hours from home.   

Yes but...but he'd be inheriting assistants ....something he refused to do and the head coaching T.O. gig went sideways...If this is all true someone or somebodies are dropping a load of manure around here...

IF PLAP's contract allows him to interview for HC jobs and the Bombers stopped him, I can understand why he'd be pissed. It could bite us in the but later on if we aren't following contractual obligations.

Someone on that other site said that PLAP's twitter feed had all Bombers references and our colours removed and hour or two ago and his tagline as Bombers OC removed. I just checked and the Bombers OC is back (If it was ever gone), but no Bomber colours if they were ever there.

Personally, I'd let him interview if he wants to. It's better to give him a shot than to say no, even at this time of year. I wouldn't want to be the team that's known for not following contracts or not allowing coaches to interview for better jobs.

If LaPo wanted to be a head coach so badly, he could have pounced on several of the previous opportunities he has had. This isn't just about becoming a head coach. Its clear he is/was more interested in the Rider job because its still close to family. 

I'd feel bad about this if it was December. For those looking to blame Ottawa, Winnipeg or whoever else, the blame pretty clearly still lies with Chris Jones.

Lapo might be disappointed but he's far too polite and professional to let it impact anything else. Honestly I can't see him even wanting that job in Saskatchewan anyway. No qb, no canadian depth, it's the same **** that got him fired in Winnipeg as a head coach. Throw in that he'd have to keep assistant coaches? 

No I don't really buy this "Lapo is pissed off" narrative. To me it sounds like click bait. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

If LaPo wanted to be a head coach so badly, he could have pounced on several of the previous opportunities he has had. This isn't just about becoming a head coach. Its clear he is/was more interested in the Rider job because its still close to family. 

I'd feel bad about this if it was December. For those looking to blame Ottawa, Winnipeg or whoever else, the blame pretty clearly still lies with Chris Jones.

Blame lies with Chris Jones? Interesting opinion. I guess the Riders should have held him back? I actually wouldn't want a guy who didn't want to be there, it will show in his effort. Lapo is far from anyone's first choice anyway.  I would be very concerned about him not having the balls to make the tough call.  I think he is too nice to ever be a head coach. That being said, I have much respect for him as a coach

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Personally, I'd let him interview if he wants to. It's better to give him a shot than to say no, even at this time of year. I wouldn't want to be the team that's known for not following contracts or not allowing coaches to interview for better jobs.

Too late were not alone as the Redblacks have also denied ...which started the ball rolling.....I don't blame either club...With the coaching ranks already strained with the advent of another league , it's no wonder clubs are hesitant to let key people go...Teams have to look after their own interests with fa fast approaching

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Blame lies with Chris Jones? Interesting opinion. I guess the Riders should have held him back? I actually wouldn't want a guy who didn't want to be there, it will show in his effort. Lapo is far from anyone's first choice anyway.  I would be very concerned about him not having the balls to make the tough call.  I think he is too nice to ever be a head coach. That being said, I have much respect for him as a coach

Great, you're happy for Chris Jones, you should be equally happy with the mess he left the team in.  Enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

The Riders couldn't have held Jones back if they wanted to.  Jones could resign and take a job anywhere else in the world.  The only reason CFL teams can restrict movement of personnel within their league are the league by-laws.  As far as I know the CFL and NFL have no agreement in regards to respecting clauses in coaching or management contracts.  They do have agreement in regards to player contracts.

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo might be disappointed but he's far too polite and professional to let it impact anything else. Honestly I can't see him even wanting that job in Saskatchewan anyway. No qb, no canadian depth, it's the same **** that got him fired in Winnipeg as a head coach. Throw in that he'd have to keep assistant coaches? 

No I don't really buy this "Lapo is pissed off" narrative. To me it sounds like click bait. 

Well, all the noise around this is good publicity, but I do wonder if LaPolice looked at the steam pile in Regina and decided that wasn't for any sane person. However, the optics of refusing to interview for a head coaching position wouldn't look good, so maybe he asked O'Shea and Walters to pose as the bad guys.

The only reason that PLAP would be pissed is if he actually wanted to interview for the job. That would tell me that his 'I don't want the Toronto job cuz I don't get to choose my coaches' really meant 'I can see the writing on the wall, they ain't going to offer me the job'.

I'd be interested to know the contract wording. I'd guess their aren't any dates attached to being able to interview for a better job. It certainly didn't stop Jones from taking another job at this time of the off season.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

IF PLAP's contract allows him to interview for HC jobs and the Bombers stopped him, I can understand why he'd be pissed. It could bite us in the but later on if we aren't following contractual obligations.

Someone on that other site said that PLAP's twitter feed had all Bombers references and our colours removed and hour or two ago and his tagline as Bombers OC removed. I just checked and the Bombers OC is back (If it was ever gone), but no Bomber colours if they were ever there.

His twitter feed definitely said offensive coordinator in the Canadian Football League when I checked earlier. I'm not sure if that was a change from what he'd had it as.

48 minutes ago, Ripper said:

While Jones is legally allowed to leave the Riders for an NFL opening, I will clearly argue that this was not very fair to the team and organization. But that is what happens when you hire a weasel. If only he had a history of only looking out for himself...

So yes, I think Chris Jones left the Riders in a terrible spot. Its not the Bombers' problem that he bailed so late.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Mission accomplished. They didn't mind him leaving the division but not to the Riders.  Ya I'm sure Paul doesn't want to make more money and only be 5 hours from home.   

I don't think January is too late for an ast to interview for a HC job. 

I also think its a bad move 99% of the time when you prevent an ast coach from interviewing/taking a HC job.  This might be the 1% though. 

Personally, im not a big fan of plops play calling. I think he is a phenomenal leader and coach of players. He tends to out-think himself but I think he is better as a HC then as an OC. 

Id be happy in general to see him move on to a HC job any place else in the league, other then sask. 

Yeah if this is true about blocking Lapo.....that's not a good reflection on the Blue organization in my mind. Its not about helping the Riders but letting a good guy and Bomber move up and its what Lapo deserves...we still have time to get an OC. Doesn't make sense for us to try to keep him here.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm very concerned about Lapo being pissed off and it affecting the upcoming season, but hopefully there's somehow no truth to all of this... 

Lapo is a pro. He may be pissed, and its understandable.  But if he want another head gig, hes gotta take care of business this year. 

We are loading up for a run at the cup, and he is a big piece of our team. 

Im glad we are holding on to him. 

Sorry SK, the juggernaut is gonna be on hold for at least another year. 

I agree with what was said earlier this looks like clickbait and a massive over reaction by fans.   

The club let him try out for Toronto so it's not like they are preventing him from ever being promoted. 

He's been in the league for a super long time,  do you really think he would want to take over a club on extremely short notice,  with the most volatile impatient fans,  with a team with zero qb for next season,   with a team that only won by defense and having the guy who lead that defense leave,   with a team that has no depth or canadians,  with a team with zero guys at receivers....    why in the hell would he leave a cushy job in Winnipeg for something like that?

If he wants to move on as a HC I think he'd rather go somewhere with a bit of a foundation and time to arrange for his players and coaching staff.   Why not work this season and then maybe sign on as the HC for Montreal ,  Edmonton or maybe the expansion club?