Game Day Thread- Week Seventeen, GAME 15: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ REDBLACKS October 5th, 2018

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

While I certainly thought Lapolice should have used Streveler in that one redzone series in the 4th, the offense overall was still way better than what we had been seeing.

I put the biggest blame on Hall for going back to his dumb prevent defense and choking away a 15-point cushion.  Only he could do that and stop bringing pressure.

It was better sure, but LaPo is LaPo & he always makes strange calls or gets conservative when it's crunch time. In OT he had to get aggressive & it resulted in a TD. But he only did it because he had to.  And don't worry I feel the same way as you do about Hall.  Looks like last week's D was an aberration. We went back to what Hall always does & has for 3 seasons. I'm glad we won but I saw a lot of things I didn't like. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo playcalling inconsistent. Shows some imagination on some plays rolling out Nichols or misdirection.  Then goes entire series into a shell when the game was on the line in the 4th qtr.  Stops using what works. Some bad playcalling in the Red Zone results in FGs instead of touchdowns.  Hall being Hall with his soft zone in the second half let Ottawa back into it.  Both coordinators have to go. 

Speedy, you're right, but O'Shea has to go too. Year 5 and yet this season he's 1 for 6 on challenges and doesn't have a clue.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

The problem was too much blitzing, and too predictably blitzing Bighill and JSK in the 4th Q.  That's what he always reverts too.  I didn't see any prevent.  They were never that far ahead against the clock.

In general I'd like to see our D focus more on making tackles and less on trying for kill shots every down.  Alexander is the worst offender, wrap up and finish the play.  Don't let them bounce off you for another 5-10-15 yards if not more.

He had the corners way backed off on the final drive of regulation and made no adjustments to the tempo offense.  Awful on his part.

1 minute ago, USABomberfan said:

He had the corners way backed off on the final drive of regulation and made no adjustments to the tempo offense.  Awful on his part.

Disagree.  You won't find anyone playing up on the receivers on the line unless they are in a bunch, standard to play off 8 yards.  This is Canadian football.

The open space was due to having no LB's in coverage, again.  Nobody in the flats, again.  Take Bighill and JSK out of the coverage and you basically have to run quarters, cover 1 or 0 with 6 in coverage.

D has been dominant when they've done a good job of mixing blitzes and coverages with 3 man rushes.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Apart from the fumble Demski had a not bad game, d line had it moments except for the last 2 series, Medlock kicking fg's is great 6 pts are preferred.Bighill money well spent, Sayles most improved played since the beginning of the season.

He missed a catch in OT and tipped it up. Very lucky it wasn't picked or that would have snuffed the drive and virtually ended it for Winnipeg.

He has a habit of untimely fumbles and tips for picks.

Demski, on balance, is more of a liability than an asset.

Some people are so committed to their biases they can't see what really happened. Lapo called a pretty good game, the D started rough but got a lot better and Ottawa made plays at the end to get to OT, but they needed 3 downs to do a lot of what they did. In the end the Bombers won a game they deserved to win and we all avoided a heart attack.

Just now, Doublezero said:

Yes, they were lucky to win that game.

Lol. They trailed once and had a 15 point lead with 3 minutes left. Bombers aren't the lucky ones tonight... They were the better team overall. Its funny ppl want the Ottawa DC here so bad.. Thats a good D and great O in Ottawa but we were better tonight. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Yeah.. Its actually quite annoying cuz its the same old crap over and over again. Just beat Ottawa in Ottawa in a game where we only trailed once. 

We gave up a 15 point lead late in the fourth quarter & went into OT. Ottawa was marching in for a score. Bighill came up with a big play to win the game so props to him. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Some people are so committed to their biases they can't see what really happened. Lapo called a pretty good game, the D started rough but got a lot better and Ottawa made plays at the end to get to OT, but they needed 3 downs to do a lot of what they did. In the end the Bombers won a game they deserved to win and we all avoided a heart attack.

tenor.gif?itemid=11303217

LOL!

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

We gave up a 15 point lead late in the fourth quarter & went into OT. Ottawa was marching in for a score. Bighill came up with a big play to win the game so props to him. 

In the real world tho.. Ottawa didnt score a TD so.. Who is to Say what happens there.