Game Day Thread- Week Seventeen, GAME 15: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ REDBLACKS October 5th, 2018

IT"S GAME DAY!!!! Let's Clobber the ALLCAPS!!!

GAME 15 | WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (7-7) at OTTAWA REDBLACKS (8-5)

THE 4-1-1

Kickoff: 6:30 p.m. CDT, Friday; TD Place, Ottawa
TV: TSN, ESPN+
Radio: CJOB
The forecast: A mix of sun and cloud with a high of 11C. Cloudy overnight with a high of 4C.
Vegas line: The REDBLACKS are favoured by 1.5 points.
Streaks: Winnipeg: 2W; Ottawa: 2W
Home/Road: Ottawa is 4-2 at home; the Bombers are 3-4 on the road.
Series: The Bombers lead the all-time series with Ottawa-based clubs (since 1961) – the Rough Riders, Renegades and REDBLACKS – (44-31-1).
Recent history: The REDBLACKS pounded the Bombers 44-21 in Winnipeg back on August 17, a result that started a four-game losing streak. Winnipeg has won its last two visits to Ottawa, winning 33-30 last August and 33-20 in November of 2016.

(Thanks Ed Tait)

Depth-AT-OTTAWA-1-1600x1103.jpg

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2016/06/WPG-at-OTT-Oct5-DEPTH-ROSTER-FINAL.pdf

If there is anything else that anyone wants linked up here lemme know- just want to make it useful for people to reference.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

I'm actually not bothered at all by our defense being the catalyst for winning in place of the offense because I've felt if they would have stepped up in the playoffs the last two years, we might have won or at least gone to the Grey Cup instead of finishing one and done.  We gotta keep the brick wall in that side of the ball up and thwart the oncoming attacks.

I'd like to see our DL continue to go on a tear and get pressure up in T Harris's face.  Make sure he's errant in trying to get the ball to Sinopli, Ellingson and Spencer.

On the offensive side of the ball, Lapolice needs to call more play action mixed with quick out passes on first down to get Matt in rhythm.

23 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm actually not bothered at all by our defense being the catalyst for winning in place of the offense because I've felt if they would have stepped up in the playoffs the last two years, we might have won or at least gone to the Grey Cup instead of finishing one and done.  We gotta keep the brick wall in that side of the ball up and thwart the oncoming attacks.

I'd like to see our DL continue to go on a tear and get pressure up in T Harris's face.  Make sure he's errant in trying to get the ball to Sinopli, Ellingson and Spencer.

On the offensive side of the ball, Lapolice needs to call more play action mixed with quick out passes on first down to get Matt in rhythm.

You have to figure Ottawa has looked at this (our D) and is going to have some strategy for countering it. Likely some cadence stuff and tricks to get us to reveal whether we are blitzing or not. Bit of a chess game.

This game, at least to me is just too hard to predict. Which Trevor Harris will show up? Can our DB's handle the Ottawa wide outs and slots (they are very very good)? Can we stop Powell? Can they stop Harris? Just too many variables to think about.

The one thing that does concern me is mistakes. If the game is close and comes down to who makes the fewest mistakes, there have been times in the past when we have played the goat and made the most mistakes etc. Too many penalties etc.

I see it as a very close game with the team that makes the fewest mistakes coming out on top.

I will say too if we can pull this off, it'll make the Edm-Ssk game on Monday a win-win situation.  If the Esks win (which I hope), we can still knock the melonheads out of 2nd place and take it.  But if they win, it'll put us up a game on the Esks.

But anyway, not to worry about that yet until we've taken care of business in TD Place.

Edited by USABomberfan

46 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

But anyway, not to worry about that yet until we've taken care of business in TD Place.

Agreed, need to take care of things on our side before looking at how other teams help us. 

I am looking forward to see how our Defence steps up against a completely different animal in the ALLCAPS....

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Still can't find a link to the ALLCAPS' depth chart- if anyone has a link, please let me know.

Thanks 

I saw it yesterday on Twitter, so I thought, I'll go get it from the REDRIDERS Twitter page... Nope! They only have ours. Very odd. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I don't get the " all caps" reference (?).......anyways GO BLUE......win this one and we can maybe get that parade map out and start going over it again !

Ottawa REDBLACKS = ALLCAPS 

Their name is always in Capital letters. It's silly.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Ottawa has a good team, well coached.

Honestly, I'm not sure about our team yet. Another convincing win will make me feel better about the Bombers. A beat-down will confirm my fears. A close win will make me happy - especially if Bombers D plays like they did last week.

Is Harris 100%? Can Nichols put together some drives, protect the ball, and quit throwing picks? Will we see the same supreme effort from our D as we did vs Esks? Those questions loom.

But let's take advantage of Bolduc at safety. And let's Blitz! If we knock their QB down a few times and force him to have his head on a swivel - we can win.

Let's not lose due to a pick-six or bonehead coaching error (or combination of the two).

Edited by Doublezero

If the Bombers are down at halftime, and the offence stagnant, do we see Streveler?   Or is O'Shea going to act like the rest of the season hasn't had major issues and just lean on the fact that we've won the last 2?

im hoping Matt has a breakout game and shows some major improvement, but I think we can all agree that we've been waiting for that to happen all season, and it hasn't.

Edited by trueBlue83

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

If the Bombers are down at halftime, and the offence stagnant, do we see Streveler?   Or is O'Shea going to act like the rest of the season hasn't had major issue and just lean on the fact that we've won the last 2?

im hoping Matt has a breakout game and shows some major improvement, but I think we can all agree that we've been waiting for that to happen all season, and it hasn't.

Unless he's bipolar O'Shea is going to go with Nichols and force feed him to us no matter what because "He's won a ton of games for us in the past" and when he plays like crap "That's not the real Matt Nichols". Streveler remains nailed to the bench unless Nichols gets hurt. 

21 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

sure glad it's not a home game tonight... this weather would have sucked to sit through!  my buddy going to the game tonight said its about 8 and partly cloudy, no rain in the forecast!   should be perfect conditions!

What time did it start getting nasty in the peg ?.....I left at four this morning to make sure I didn't get caught in any of it....