Game Day Thread- Week Fifteen, GAME 13: Als @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers September 2, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Watching that game how can people really pin it all on Nichols when it's plain as ******* day that lapo calls the worst game ever. Yeah he can draw up a good looking offence but the man has no sense of how to call a game. 

It can be both. It’s painfully obvious that Nichols can’t improvise and if his first read is covered, he’s sunk. Sure, a great OC would do more to help the guy out but there’s only so much you can do with a QB who is so bad at making decisions. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Offense had about 50 yards in the second half until about 7 minutes to go. They did put a nice drive together to get the FG but they were bad. Typical Lapo nonsense. Lafrance is a plodder and we really struggled with him in there.

LaFrance is no Harris but he is a bit more shifty. He had a few runs which he got some decent yardage when he should have been tackled. He also has some decent speed. What he doesn’t currently offer is the receiving skills Harris has. His blocking is adequate.

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

It can be both. It’s painfully obvious that Nichols can’t improvise and if his first read is covered, he’s sunk. Sure, a great OC would do more to help the guy out but there’s only so much you can do with a QB who is so bad at making decisions. 

Oh please. He found guys when he needed to and even moved more than he has all year. He didn’t force the ball once and only ate a sack twice. 0 ints 1 TD and a 118 efficiency rating you don’t get that if you are making bad decisions.

4 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Oh please. He found guys when he needed to and even moved more than he has all year. He didn’t force the ball once and only ate a sack twice. 0 ints 1 TD and a 118 efficiency rating you don’t get that if you are making bad decisions.

I’m not going to get into a big argument over Nichols’ performance. If you are satisfied with how he played against the worst team in the league, I’m happy for you. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

I’m not going to get into a big argument over Nichols’ performance. If you are satisfied with how he played against the worst team in the league, I’m happy for you. 

And I assume you think Streveler would have done better? Based on what? The one game he threw for over 300 yards? I agree that Streveler offers some skills that Nichols doesn’t excel at but people here have highly over-sold his production so far.

9 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I have no faith Nichols and the offense have the game to match Edmonton next week.  We need to hope Reilly turns over the ball several times to have any chance in that game.

Kinda depends which Edmonton shows up. I expect it to be close but the D is also gonna have to step up and not just the O.

Just now, Dragon37 said:

Yeah. They played smart on both sides of the ball. 

So this is something they can build on for the upcoming game against Edmonton. They can try for zero penalties! 

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Watching that game how can people really pin it all on Nichols when it's plain as ******* day that lapo calls the worst game ever. Yeah he can draw up a good looking offence but the man has no sense of how to call a game. 

Once again....  how is it LaPo's fault that Nichols holds onto the ball to long and/or throws more inaccurate passes then accurate passes?     Of course the coach will look bad when a QB has several steamboats and doesn't look off his primary target and then suddenly turtles and crashes to the ground.    

I don't see how LaPo calls a bad game when Nichols has time doesn't make a quick read... holds onto the ball to long and then slowly tries to scramble down the field only to get slammed by three defenders?    The few times that he did make a quick read (usually to Thompkins)  we had success and our guys made the big important catches.  

On 2018-09-22 at 12:05 AM, Dragon37 said:

And I assume you think Streveler would have done better? Based on what? The one game he threw for over 300 yards? I agree that Streveler offers some skills that Nichols doesn’t excel at but people here have highly over-sold his production so far.

I think it’s  pretty clear that Streveler could have at the very least matched Nichols last few games and more than likely exceeded them seeing as Nichols’ last four games before tonight were as bad a four games as any starter this season not named Pipkin. Tonight, Nichols was fine and not spectacular but the circumstances were primed for him to have a decent game. Montreal is a joke, they played with the lead the whole game and LaPo called predominantly short routes to get his confidence back. I realize this was months ago now but Streveler shredded Montreal earlier this year. A game like this seems to be Nichols peak at this point in his career.

I fully realize that Streveler is a rookie and it’s certainly possible that he never becomes anything in this league. But Nichols has set a bar so low that it would be hard for a guy to not match that production. And considering Streveler can move very well and the team seems to rally behind him, yes I think Streveler would have done better. 

The thing that bothers me almost about those who defend Nichols is that the main argument generally revolves around Streveler never accomplishing anything in the league while Nichols has had some success in the past but the important thing is, Nichols is not the same guy that had success in previous years. Sometimes a guy just loses it.  

Edited by AKAChip

56 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think it’s  pretty clear that Streveler could have at the very least matched Nichols last few games and more than likely exceeded them seeing as Nichols last four games before tonight were as bad a four games as any starter this season not named Pipken. Tonight, Nichols was fine and not spectacular but the circumstances were primed for him to have a decent game. Montreal is a joke, they played with the lead the whole game and LaPo called predominantly short routes to get his confidence back. I realize this was months ago now but Streveler shredded Montreal earlier this year. A game like this seems to be Nichols peak at this point in his career.

I fully realize that Streveler is a rookie and it’s certainly possible that he never becomes anything in this league. But Nichols has set a bar so low that it would be hard for a guy to not match that production. And considering Streveler can move very well and the team seems to rally behind him, yes I think Streveler would have done better. 

The thing that bothers me almost about those who defend Nichols is that the main argument generally revolves around Streveler never accomplishing anything in the league while Nichols has had some success in the past but the important thing is, Nichols is not the same guy that had success in previous years. Sometimes a guy just loses it.  

Or he suffers a severe knee injury that affects his mobility but the team plays him anyway knowing he won't say no.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Once again....  how is it LaPo's fault that Nichols holds onto the ball to long and/or throws more inaccurate passes then accurate passes?     Of course the coach will look bad when a QB has several steamboats and doesn't look off his primary target and then suddenly turtles and crashes to the ground.    

I don't see how LaPo calls a bad game when Nichols has time doesn't make a quick read... holds onto the ball to long and then slowly tries to scramble down the field only to get slammed by three defenders?    The few times that he did make a quick read (usually to Thompkins)  we had success and our guys made the big important catches.  

Lapo is a BIG part of the problem.  Once again our offence is anemic in the 3rd quarter as the opposing defence makes the necessary adjustments and Lapo keeps doing the same thing over and over again.  Watch the last TD drive.  He finally wakes up and starts calling some quick hot routes and POW all of a sudden were putting together some first downs and moving the ball.  But unfortunately it took him almost an entire half of football to figure it out.  

That's a huge problem.  TSN put up a graphic during the game that showed we score twice as may points in the 1st half vs. the 2nd.   That's on Lapo.