2018 Matt Nichols

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

So he doesn't want to hurt the feelings of Nichols which in the end risks him on getting injured for the rest of the season,    limits the development of Streveler ,   completely de-moralize the rest of the offense ,   anger the fans,   completely kills any chance of making the rest of the team playing hard for the rest of the game which would then possibly carry over to the next week.....

Based on his comments he's loyal to a fault which at times can hurt the team.   I understand standing by your man... but he was hurt... the game was over....  he already had an excuse build in for Streveler to play the rest of the game (injury)... no reason....

I think after 5 years of the over-the-top-nice-guy-O'Shea approach towards the players and coaches I am just getting so tired of it. For me, it's too much milk and not enough meat and potatoes. 

18 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Don’t include me as one of the fans that have a sense of hope with Steveler. Do you honestly expect that Streveler will win a Grey Cup before the venerable BLM? 

I have not thought that far ahead.  Right now I am hoping matt can win the next three straight games for us.  

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler gives the fans a sense of hope for a Grey Cup win as much as what Matt does at this point. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

The highlighted QB's didn't win us a cup either...... Matt is our hope right now, these next two games are gonna be huge for fans to start wondering if the grass might be greener this time....

39 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I have not thought that far ahead.  Right now I am hoping matt can win the next three straight games for us.  

I am very conflicted by your statements.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler gives the fans a sense of hope for a Grey Cup win as much as what Matt does at this point. 

He does not. Only you would say something absolutely outrageous like this . No wonder you got kicked off The Extra Point. Now we're stuck with you.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Hey now, I can believe that Streveler will lead us to a Grey Cup win, one day, perhaps in 2025.

weve seen worse vet qbs win greycups then rookie streveler.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

I think after 5 years of the over-the-top-nice-guy-O'Shea approach towards the players and coaches I am just getting so tired of it. For me, it's too much milk and not enough meat and potatoes. 

I strongly believe it has a diminishing returns effect on the locker room. A change of pace would really go a long ways, but I dont see that happening any time soon. And I do like that we stick to our guns on quality people as well as players. I was pretty iffy on it for a long time. But im glad we are free of the likes of dbag carter. 

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I am very conflicted by your statements.

I want Matt to do well And win this week, and win us a cup.  Then we watch the games and here we are.  Also I am excited about what Streveler might be able to do.  Gotta watch the next game now....

12 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Don’t include me as one of the fans that have a sense of hope with Steveler. Do you honestly expect that Streveler will win a Grey Cup before the venerable BLM? 

do you mean the same Bo Levi Mitchell who won a Grey Cup in 2014 at age 24??  go look at his record... he took over playing in 2013 at 23, and won a Grey Cup in his next season.

How old is Streveler?

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Streveler 1-2 this year, Nichols is what? 4-2? This isn't even a question. 

Nichols 4 wins come against teams with a combined record of 9-15 (BC, TOR & HAM) and blew the game against BC that should have been a W.

Streveler hung right in there with Edmonton in his first start in the CFL against the reigning MOP.    I'm sorry, but if you don't see the upside in this guy, over a stagnant regressing Nichols, then we can just file you under 'Complacent' as far as Bomber fans go!

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Nichols 4 wins come against teams with a combined record of 9-15 (BC, TOR & HAM) and blew the game against BC that should have been a W.

Streveler hung right in there with Edmonton in his first start in the CFL against the reigning MOP.    I'm sorry, but if you don't see the upside in this guy, over a stagnant regressing Nichols, then we can just file you under 'Complacent' as far as Bomber fans go!

I do not see anyone calling for Nichols to be permanently benched in favour of Streveler, but rather that we want to see that if the game is not going well for Nichols, Streveler will be put in to give the team and fans hope. As a fan, it is very frustrating to see Nichols coming out again and again when clearly he is struggling. Streveler ought to have had a lot more reps and time to adapt to the CFL, so ought to be more effective now. Nichols does not seem to be getting better, and Saturday will tell us a lot.

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I do not see anyone calling for Nichols to be permanently benched in favour of Streveler, but rather that we want to see that if the game is not going well for Nichols, Streveler will be put in to give the team and fans hope. As a fan, it is very frustrating to see Nichols coming out again and again when clearly he is struggling. Streveler ought to have had a lot more reps and time to adapt to the CFL, so ought to be more effective now. Nichols does not seem to be getting better, and Saturday will tell us a lot.

I'd like to see that too. But, I don't think it will happen. Football coaches in general are very reluctant to pull their starting QB when they're struggling. They aren't like hockey coaches pulling their goalie who's struggling, even if they are the established starter (like Peter Laviolette yanking Rinne whenever he sucked). I'd like to see that approach, but, I also get why you wouldn't do it as a HC in football. Unless you're really unclear on who your starter is, like in Toronto where Franklin never really was the set-in-stone starter. That said, Streveler has the bigger upside than Nichols. I think the coaches and management see that too. Just a matter of how and when you start considering that. I think a 9 - 9 season, and a first round knockout, might create a "competition" for QB next camp.

The sad thing is with the Nichols situation, I believe no matter how Matt is stinking the joint out, this head coach will never make the change to Streveler...That is not how O'Shea rolls....He proved that in the last game and that is a very bad aspect of this coach....The first concern should be WINNING ...not worrying about hurting a players feelings

50 minutes ago, Stickem said:

The sad thing is with the Nichols situation, I believe no matter how Matt is stinking the joint out, this head coach will never make the change to Streveler...That is not how O'Shea rolls....He proved that in the last game and that is a very bad aspect of this coach....The first concern should be WINNING ...not worrying about hurting a players feelings

Thats BS. He just gives the starter extra rope like most head coaches do. Did Calgary take out BLM last game? Dont think they did. Nichols hasn't been good but.. Hes 4 and 2 as a starter right now.... Hes our QB... But if he continues to struggle then in a week or 2 or 3.. He will be on the bench watching. 

Bottom line.. You don't sit your starter to play a green rookie until that starter loses more than he wins. 

You got fans bashing Nichols but really fans opinions dont mean much and shouldn't. What matters is what the guys in the room think and looks like they all to a man believe Nichols is the guy. 

Was Nichols that bad tho? I mean did we lose because of him? Or was it cuz our D gave up 44 points? I dunno. Nichols wasn't great but he's certainly not the reason we lost or only reason we lost. .

If i made a list of problems with the team Nichols is probably 5th on that list. 

1. Hall 

2. Fogg 

3. Randle - he hasn't been good 

4. Lapolice and our predictable O playcalling

5. Nichols. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

If we are discrediting Nichols wins because of who he beat then how can you make Streveler seem better when the only team he beat is that sad sack Montreal team? He also lost to the same Hamilton team that Nichols beat. 

Listen I am a huge Streveler fan, I think the kid has all kinds of potential, but he's not a better player than Matt Nichols at this stage of their respective careers and the facts back that up. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

If we are discrediting Nichols wins because of who he beat then how can you make Streveler seem better when the only team he beat is that sad sack Montreal team? He also lost to the same Hamilton team that Nichols beat. 

Listen I am a huge Streveler fan, I think the kid has all kinds of potential, but he's not a better player than Matt Nichols at this stage of their respective careers and the facts back that up. 

Nichols is the unquestioned starter as it should be. I think what may happen is he will start getting a little less leash to play every second of every game. Good advice for any team, get the backup some reps when it is appropriate.  Just a hunch but a combination of loyalty to veterans and trying to avoid a qb controversy is why Nichols continues to play every minute.  Some times the best way to squash a controversy is put the kid in against a top defense, the reality will be easy to see.  When Glenn started every game last year, everyone wanted Bridge to play. Bridge played this year, now you don't hear a word about it.  Other side of the coin, if Backup plays well or excels against a top defense, maybe he should be playing more. Its a win win situation for the team

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Thats BS. He just gives the starter extra rope like most head coaches do. Did Calgary take out BLM last game? Dont think they did. Nichols hasn't been good but.. Hes 4 and 2 as a starter right now.... Hes our QB... But if he continues to struggle then in a week or 2 or 3.. He will be on the bench watching. 

Bottom line.. You don't sit your starter to play a green rookie until that starter loses more than he wins. 

You got fans bashing Nichols but really fans opinions dont mean much and shouldn't. What matters is what the guys in the room think and looks like they all to a man believe Nichols is the guy. 

Was Nichols that bad tho? I mean did we lose because of him? Or was it cuz our D gave up 44 points? I dunno. Nichols wasn't great but he's certainly not the reason we lost or only reason we lost. .

If i made a list of problems with the team Nichols is probably 5th on that list. 

1. Hall 

2. Fogg 

3. Randle - he hasn't been good 

4. Lapolice and our predictable O playcalling

5. Nichols. 

Hey first of all do I call your postings bull$hit  .. well after reading your reply I'm going to start..'Gives the starter extra rope'...What the hell kind of coaching is that....So I'm admitting as a coach he's going to fail...so I let him hang and hang himself  at the expense of the rest of the club....Sure glad you're not running the show...That kind of archaic thinking belongs in file 13...

If we see a repeat performance like Nichols was giving us last game...(the supposed leader of this team) AND we refuse to put in a replacement who is more than able, then that says a lot about the coaching on this club...The boos that we heard will really start getting loud, you can put your money on that, and those boos should be shared equally between a bad performance and a bad coach.....Hopefully we've learned a bit from that last game AND we give Cal. a bloody good scare or actually win it, then a lot of this will go away....Another showing like we had against Ottawa and you better get out the ear plugs.

4 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

do you mean the same Bo Levi Mitchell who won a Grey Cup in 2014 at age 24??  go look at his record... he took over playing in 2013 at 23, and won a Grey Cup in his next season.

How old is Streveler?

Even better. So who wins the next cup of the two? 

Nichols is the guy reasonably seasoned CFL coaches would be going with. Basing that view with Nichols winning record and this years record, a lot of fans agree. No need for a manufactured qb controversy.

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Even better. So who wins the next cup of the two? 

Nichols is the guy reasonably seasoned CFL coaches would be going with. Basing that view with Nichols winning record and this years record, a lot of fans agree. No need for a manufactured qb controversy.

I'm sick of hearing about the winning record... I know that seems outrageous, and I'll take heat for it.. I don't care.  I've watched his play closely the last two seasons, and since the second half of last year, it's dropped off.  Looking at who they beat last year and this year, Nichols has only beat 2 teams with a winning record in the last calendar year.  Saskatchewan in the Banjo Bowl last year and Edmonton a few weeks later.  After that, he only beat BC in a game where he threw for 172 yds and 0 TDs.   For me, it's what have you done for me lately... and while he has turned in some wins, it's my honest belief that Streveler would have won those games too.

I'll stop harping on it for now and see what happens on Saturday afternoon.

Edited by trueBlue83